Thread: There Is Hope For Spinal Cord Injury Recovery

There Is Hope For Spinal Cord Injury Recovery

My Son And I Are Back At Sci-step For 6 Weeks, Last Year We Were Able To Spend 3 Months. He Learned For The First Time Last Year (after 2 1/2 Years Of T7/8 Injury) To Take Steps With A Walker. It Was Wonderful And He Has Been Walking Everyday Since Then, Taking Beter Steps And Finally Being Able To Lift His Left Knee At The Beginning Of Each Session. He Is Able To Go About 50 Feet. Now He Is Using A Recumbant Pedaling Trainer, Which Is Something He Could Not Do Before And Pedaling For Long Periods Of Time. His Legs Used To Just Spasm Off And All Over So Pedaling Was Impossible.
    It Was So Very Rewarding To Come Back After A Year And See The Wonderful Progress Of The Clients Who Are Quads Walking With Walkers, Transfering On Their Own, Driving Vans And Getting Some Of Their Lives Back. I Am Excited That Sci-step Has Worked It's Way Through The System And Is Able To Take Medicare As Well As Insurance. Exciting, Talk To Your Doctors. We Are Staying At An Extended Stay In Blue Ash Which Is $34.99/ Night After 30 Days As You Get Taxes Back From The State. Since Sci Is Very Expensive, It Is Nice To Be Able To Afford Treatment Even If We Can Only Afford 6 Weeks. Every Little Bit Helps. Never, Never Give Up, That Is The Motto At Sci-step. Make It A Wonderful Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Tate
    My Son And I Are Back At Sci-step For 6 Weeks, Last Year We Were Able To Spend 3 Months. He Learned For The First Time Last Year (after 2 1/2 Years Of T7/8 Injury) To Take Steps With A Walker. It Was Wonderful And He Has Been Walking Everyday Since Then, Taking Beter Steps And Finally Being Able To Lift His Left Knee At The Beginning Of Each Session. He Is Able To Go About 50 Feet. Now He Is Using A Recumbant Pedaling Trainer, Which Is Something He Could Not Do Before And Pedaling For Long Periods Of Time. His Legs Used To Just Spasm Off And All Over So Pedaling Was Impossible.
    It Was So Very Rewarding To Come Back After A Year And See The Wonderful Progress Of The Clients Who Are Quads Walking With Walkers, Transfering On Their Own, Driving Vans And Getting Some Of Their Lives Back. I Am Excited That Sci-step Has Worked It's Way Through The System And Is Able To Take Medicare As Well As Insurance. Exciting, Talk To Your Doctors. We Are Staying At An Extended Stay In Blue Ash Which Is $34.99/ Night After 30 Days As You Get Taxes Back From The State. Since Sci Is Very Expensive, It Is Nice To Be Able To Afford Treatment Even If We Can Only Afford 6 Weeks. Every Little Bit Helps. Never, Never Give Up, That Is The Motto At Sci-step. Make It A Wonderful Day!

That is wonderful about your son!! The motto is right...never, never give up! Was you son a T7-8 Complete when he began at Sci-step?

That's great, Meredith! Glad your son is continuing to improve!
    Daniel

My son was diagnosed as complete. He shattered 9 vertebrate with 4 rods from C5 to T 10 and a fractured L 1, he had no feeling and no movement. For about 6 months we believed all the negative things we were told, then we were able to have some hope as far as small movement and some feeling. Before we came to SCI-Step for the first time last year, he could pull himself to standing position for a few minutes only and could not do any type of forward movement. SCI-Step helped him get past that and take steps with a walker. He is "Jack Sparrow" on the participants site there. It has been 3 1/2 years now and it is slow, but there is progress, so we will never, never give up.

That's great news about your son!
    I'm a T7 with some movement below my injury. I've been injured about 2 1/2 years and the news that your son has succeded in walking a few steps gives me great hope for my continued recovery also. I know that no one's recovery is the same but it still is very exciting for me to hear.
    ~Kristi
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

Kristi, Yes!! You can do it, we have been working for 3 1/2 years. Last year when they were able to get him to take steps with a walker it was wonderful. He had been to several PTs and they kept trying to pull his feet forward by lifting his toes with his shoe laces etc. The most successful movement came from Matt Ranson at SCI-Step when he put his foot behind him and had it on his toes, then he was able to bring his foot forward in a more natural movement. I guess it seemed like when you lay or sit with your legs bent and someone hits the spot on your knee that helps it raise on it's reflex. have you also worked with a total gym? They help sci a lot from what I have seen. There are more and better recovery centers from what I can see and people are starting to realize that nerves can build new pathways if given a chance. The one person I met with the best recovery from SCI was Laura at awakenings health institute. As I said in my post, it is amazing to me to see the quads at SCI-Step talking steps with walkers and no harnesses. Last year everyone was harnessed and now they are on their own. Yes, movement begats movement, you go girl and never, never,never give up!! My son walked in a circle around SCI-Step on both Monday and Wednesday this week. That has been my goal and he reached it. I know it was hard for him as the back of his wheelchair was soaked in sweat, but he didi it!! You can do it!

with leg braces? or does he actually have return in his legs

f
    ight

He walks without braces. He got braces, AFOS last year when we were at SCI-Step, but they are very heavy and have a lot of metal protruding about 1.5 inches on each side at the ankles. Since SCI causes legs to spasm together it seems when he wears them he spends all his energy getting his legs untangled instead of walking. The AFOS came to just below his knees and they did help him balance better. Now since he walks everyday without them, about 50 feet, he is getting stronger and has better balance on his own. I also remember our PT in Montana telling me about a patient with braces for her ankle who lost the ability to lift her foot (she has some polio issues) and so he has her not wearing braces at home to keep that movement going and her muscles active. Foot drop is of course an issue in SCI. My son is able to lift his right leg and can lift his left knee at the beginning, first 5 steps, of each walk. They worked with him last year on the treadmill and you can see how they first got steps going with him. Today, the massage therapist at SCI-Step discovered places on his foot where I can press, one helps still spasms and the other makes his knee raise. He works on raising his knees with his own power when we do range, twice a day. To raise his knee it is on the outside of the foot where the heel pad ends about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the foot. It reminds me of the knee thing I described to raise your leg when you are laying or sitting with your leg bent and when your knee is pressed you can raise your lower leg. I am sure there are more places like these, but I do not know much more. Keep on keeping on and keep on making progress. It is slow, but sure.

Thanks for the great feedback Meredith!! All the wonderful words about accomplishments of our clients that you have seen over the past year really prove that the hard work here are Sci-Step proves results!! Hope you guys make it back safe and sound. See you soon!

Michele