Thread: Prolotherapy.....

Prolotherapy.....

Has anyone had this type of treatment? I am having an appointment scheduled to have this done. Did those that had this procedure done, what was the outcome? What about pain? I've read that pain is a common side effect for this. If there is pain, how long did it linger? Affect transfers, daily care, or activities?....Yeah, im kinda freaky about all this, but I need to do sumthin' about my shoulder, its not getting better. My case manager suggested this method of treatment. Im game, but would like to hear of anyone else's experience with this. Thanks, John

i heard about it , really have no idea whether it is legit or not. does insurance cover it ?
    cauda equina

Dunno if insurance covers it or not. My workers comp case manager suggested this, so maybe ins. does. Good question to look into....John

Prolotherapy was little known until Everett Koop endorsed it. I do not believe it is directed at nerve injury pain and I am extremely skeptical that it does anything at all, however its inventor is fabulously wealthy and there are all those endorsements. It is evolutionary in that it has evolved to where it has no real meaning. At first, it involved injecting irritants like pumice into joints, but now it seems to include steroids etc, so I don't know if you can even define it. I also don't like the personal anecdotal nature of its support. For me it is either has well desgined double blind studies behind it or it isn't worth the clinical FDA trials it hasn't gone through. Somewhere in the middle of trying surgery, clonidine, lamotrigine, mexiletene, neurontin and everything and none of it worked, I just decided it was all smoke and mirrors. I get a laugh now when every drug from every company supposedly works via NMDA when they don't even know how NMDA acts and they certainly are not investing the money to find out. Good luck with prolo, and I hope you prove me wrong.

Thanks Dejerine...I will find out I guess. I'll post how the results go.

therapy

I have two friends who have suffered as much as I have with pain. But of varying levels.

One sent me the information regarding prolotherapy recently and yesterday I reviewed the documents she sent.

The treatment facilities are widely located throughout the US and other countries.

Prolotherapy uses a dextrose (sugar water) solution, which is injected into the ligament or tendon where it attaches to the bone. This causes a localized inflammation in these weak areas which then increases the blood supply and flow of nutrients and stimulates the tissue to repair itself.

Historical review shows that a version of this technique was first used by Hippocrates on soldiers with dislocated, torn shoulder joints. He would stick a hot poker into the joint, and it would then miraculously heal normally. Of course, we don’t use hot pokers today, but the principle is similar—get the body to repair itself, an innate ability that the body has.

How long will it take to complete a course of treatments?

The response to treatment varies from individual to individual, and depends upon one's healing ability. Some people may only need a few treatments while others may need 10 or more. The average number of treatments is 4-6 for an area treated. The best thing to do is get an evaluation by a trained physician to see if you are an appropriate candidate. Once you begin treatment, your doctor can tell better how you are responding and give you an accurate estimate.

Office Visits & Consultations:
    (Prices subject to change)

Initial Consultation: approximately $250.00
    Follow-up visits: approximately $125.00 to $175.00
    Nutrition & Lifestyle Coaching Visits: $75.00 to $100.00

Injection Therapies: (Reflects a per treatment price)
    It is impossible to know the exact price of each treatment, as every patient is different. These are just guidelines. The actual price may be more or less than these estimated prices.

For example, someone with “back pain” might have pain in the lower back and the hips. But you just look at the “back pain” price. You may actually need to have your low back treated, as well as your hips. So the cost would be $525 plus $225 per hip. On the other hand, your back pain might involve only treating your mid-back region and nowhere else. It just depends on your particular case. So please, remember, these are just approximate costs.

Medicare/Medicaid
    Since Medicare/Medicaid have determined that they will not cover natural medicine services, including Prolotherapy, Patients who are eligible for these benefits cannot receive reimbursement from Medicare/Medicaid for services provided.

Secondary or supplemental insurance comapnies, however, allow patients to send a letter of understanding with regard to services provided by treatment and Medicare's non-coverage of our services. We will generate this letter, along with a detailed invoice, and give it to patients who choose to submit to their secondary or supplemental insurance comapny.

Some Medicare patients are getting coverage from their secondary insurance carriers.
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous