Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prius VS Hummer

Quote Originally Posted by JustinB
    As a side note, and I've mentioned this in other threads, I believe that the environmental impact of the Prius is not worth the added mileage. I am a firm believer in small turbo diesels having far better environmental impact than other vehicles.
    Good point. I'd go one step further and suggest running biodiesel or running on filtered, used vegetable cooking oil. That's something I'd like to do myself, and with the right set-up, one can still fill up with regular diesel if needed.

These "reports" seem like no more than propaganda to me.

ETA: I do think Hummers look pretty cool.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 03-21-2007 at 11:04 PM.

i love cars ,but i hate idiot drivers ...one caused my sci.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Good point. I'd go one step further and suggest running biodiesel or running on filtered, used vegetable cooking oil. That's something I'd like to do myself, and with the right set-up, one can still fill up with regular diesel if needed.

These "reports" seem like no more than propaganda to me.

ETA: I do think Hummers look pretty cool.
    Some are a little propoganda I suppose. But the bottom line is that hybrids are not as efficient as people think. Two guys that I work with just bought VW Rabbit diesels. Those dang things get 50mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Where are you getting this "fact"?
    That is design criteria for all modern drivetrains. Granted some will not meet that but its still cheaper putting a new engine and tranny in a car than buy a new car.

I tend to take super good care of my cars because I hate loosing money on new.

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Well Danny, yes and no. Its also about energy to manufacture and dispose of automobiles. There is no way that you can say that 4 prius are as efficient as my one old FJ80. They may cost as much as a new FJ100 but not as efficient as that either. Plus with a Prius, it is very likely that you will need another car. I mean, you are not going to take a Prius sking with a monoski in it...

From a purely $$$ perspective you can do alot better than any hybrid.
    bcripeq,

I can agree with you on one thing, the Scion xb is an extremely economical automobile and you can do better than a hybrid with some all gasoline cars or even a very clean burning diesel car. With hybrid technology still in its infant stages, batteries are its downfall. With Gel Lithion Ion batteries will become lighter, safer, store more electricity, and have a significantly longer life.
    Article aside, what is important here is that the sales of Hybrid cars is showing the automobile companies that consumers are becoming more aware of the environment. In turn, we will see more developement of longer lasting batteries, alternative fuel sources ( e85, biodiesel, veg. oil, CNG), maybe even an all electric car( Tesla motors) or even solar perhaps.

http://www.teslamotors.com/index.php?js_enabled=1

Danny M.

FYI, the FJ100 is actually called the UZJ100 because it has an independent front suspension.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

I think you guys fail to see the obvious. Its life of the vehicle, not average ownership.

I have one Toyota Landcruiser that has 260,000 miles and one that just turned 150,000. My "newest" landcruiser I bought new. I am planning to drive them to 300,000 before selling.

Yes some people do drive these things that long.

Granted, a landcruiser is probably the best vehicle made but new technologies are making cars last much longer. Its all about the maintenance. A Hummer certainly is capable of 300,000 if properly taken care of.
    brcipeq,

I agree with you that a Toyota Landcruiser will last 300,000 miles if it is properly maintained.

By the way, I recently switched from an Isuzu Rodeo that I had driven for 135,000 miles, replaced all the major parts that are likely to go (transmission, tires, belts, oil pan, radiator, brakes, all rubber seals), and gave the car for $1 to a postdoctoral fellow. I fully anticipate the car to last to 300,000. The problem was that the car averaged 20 mpg.

By the way, all my Texas friends would smirk when they saw my Rodeo. They think it is a toy and that I should get a F150. I know people who have driven over 300,000 on their F150. For many of my friends, Ford is the last American car company. I must say that I like the F150 and, if I had a need for a working pickup, this would be the truck that I would buy. However, it gets an average 12.5 mpg.

I don't need a truck, although the last week of trying to park in the snows of New Jersey and New York made me miss the 4-wheel drive on my Rodeo. After thinking long and hard about what to buy, I bought a Minicooper S last year. It was almost the same price as the Rodeo ($26,000) but it gives me 30 mpg and a lot of fun.

I am sort of kicking myself because the 2007 Minicooper has much better fuel conservation (40 mpg) with more torque (Source). It would be more in keeping with the recommended 35 mpg that the Union of Concerned Scientists is urging the United States to adopt as the standard (Source)

Last year, my son and daughter needed a new car. After much study, they bought a Volkwagon Gulf TDI (diesel) and they average 55 mpg. I gave serious thought to getting a Jetta TDI (http://www.stealthtdi.com/) which can get 50 mpg on the highway. I decided not to get a hybrid because the battery life is limited and replacing the batteries represent a significant source of pollution and cost.

Here is a AutoChannel comparison of the 5-year costs of owning a F150, the Toyota Land Cruiser, the Jetta TDI, and a Honda Odyssey (which has as much room as a Hummer but is must less costly to purchase, maintain, and run). It is interesting that the Toyota Landcruiser is almost as expensive to maintain as a Hummer H2.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-22-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Landcruiser is not cheap that is for sure. You cant buy a new one for $49,000 either. My 99 was a smidge more than that. Parts are also VERY expensive as is maintenance labor but I have never had a failure of any kind. I thought about buying a new one a few months ago but the new LC did not drive any different than my 150,000 mile vehicle. Its an amazing car. I do spend a lot of money on preventive maintenance. I follow the manufacturers recommendations very closely, which is expensive. But that is in its design. Now if we could only get the TD models here like they get everywhere else in the world, I may never need another car! LOL

My Landcruiser gets as much as 20 mpg on the freeway but usually about 15 mpg around town. My old LC gets 14 no matter what you do.

Look at all reliability ratings. LC is at top year after year.

One guy here has a VW station wagon. Passat I think. 50mpg Its pretty nice.

Its surprising that the Prius is WORSE than a Hummer for the environment!
    How does figuring out the dollar cost of ownership prove that a vehicle is or isn't bad for the environment?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    How does figuring out the dollar cost of ownership prove that a vehicle is or isn't bad for the environment?

C.
    Tiger, you are right. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing

C.
    Its easy, the more an automobile costs the more it consumes. A Scion Xb is clearly better for the environment than a Hummer H2. It costs much less to own.