Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 45

Thread: Prius VS Hummer

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    If anybody buys a Hummer, be sure to get one with a pussy magnet.
    Classic! Love your sense of humor, Honcho! Where do you put dis pussy magnet?
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

  2. #12
    I think you guys fail to see the obvious. Its life of the vehicle, not average ownership.

    I have one Toyota Landcruiser that has 260,000 miles and one that just turned 150,000. My "newest" landcruiser I bought new. I am planning to drive them to 300,000 before selling.

    Yes some people do drive these things that long.

    Granted, a landcruiser is probably the best vehicle made but new technologies are making cars last much longer. Its all about the maintenance. A Hummer certainly is capable of 300,000 if properly taken care of.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    I think you guys fail to see the obvious. Its life of the vehicle, not average ownership . . . Its all about the maintenance. A Hummer certainly is capable of 300,000 if properly taken care of.
    Don't YOU see the obvious? Sure, some can last that long, and nobody's arguing that, but when you're trying to show cost of one vs. the other, you HAVE to consider averages so you can get some kind of realistic comparison. Otherwise, you can make up just about any argument because lots of scenarios are possible. And if your TOYOTA Land Cruiser has lasted so long, why wouldn't you think a TOYOTA Prius could? Maybe because then your argument would fall to pieces? Most cars will NOT last 300,000 miles. You can't compare apples to oranges just so you can support your political beliefs. It doesn't work that way.

  4. #14
    Ok, I will try to make this as fair as possible without hurting anyone's feelings. I did some research and found this link.

    http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023544

    This clearly states that CR rated the H2 as least reliable large SUV. Now how is it going to last 300,000 miles as least reliable? Probably w/ lots of TLC and maintenance, which costs $$$$.
    Speaking of TLC (toyota Land Cruiser), you cannot compare that to an H2. My TLC fZJ80 went to 137,000 miles before I sold it due to my accident. Before that my Toyota pickup 4x4 made it to 247,000 miles and the new owner is still driving it daily.

    Yes, the Prius will only make it to 100,000 because the batteries, but that is not totally proven, yet. Now for some realistic #'s.
    The average driver in California drives 15,000 mi/year. If that person drives to 300,000 then that means 20 years of ownership. Californian's like to drive a car for roughly 5-6 years tops. I think you'll find this true in most states. Moreover, the cost of fuel in CA for regular is $3.00. H2 MPG is 13 HIGHWAY. To drive 300,000 miles expect to pay ~$69,000 for gas. That can buy you three more Prius'. To drive a Prius 300,000 at 45mpg expect to pay $21,000 for gas.

    I hope with these stats, figures, and facts you'll realize that the article is very misleading. The choice is yours.
    Danny M.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Don't YOU see the obvious? Sure, some can last that long, and nobody's arguing that, but when you're trying to show cost of one vs. the other, you HAVE to consider averages so you can get some kind of realistic comparison. Otherwise, you can make up just about any argument because lots of scenarios are possible. And if your TOYOTA Land Cruiser has lasted so long, why wouldn't you think a TOYOTA Prius could? Maybe because then your argument would fall to pieces? Most cars will NOT last 300,000 miles. You can't compare apples to oranges just so you can support your political beliefs. It doesn't work that way.

    Not trying to support any political beliefs. All conventional modern automobiles will last to 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. That is simply a fact.

    Toyota Prius cannot last as long as a Land Cruiser because the CURRENT technology in the Prius is not there. Will it be someday? Perhaps. But likely not because as more radical battery advances are made, battery life shortens overall.


    Here is more data.

    http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automoti...nd%20sorts.xls

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    Ok, I will try to make this as fair as possible without hurting anyone's feelings. I did some research and found this link.

    http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.as...tentid=4023544

    This clearly states that CR rated the H2 as least reliable large SUV. Now how is it going to last 300,000 miles as least reliable? Probably w/ lots of TLC and maintenance, which costs $$$$.
    Speaking of TLC (toyota Land Cruiser), you cannot compare that to an H2. My TLC fZJ80 went to 137,000 miles before I sold it due to my accident. Before that my Toyota pickup 4x4 made it to 247,000 miles and the new owner is still driving it daily.

    Yes, the Prius will only make it to 100,000 because the batteries, but that is not totally proven, yet. Now for some realistic #'s.
    The average driver in California drives 15,000 mi/year. If that person drives to 300,000 then that means 20 years of ownership. Californian's like to drive a car for roughly 5-6 years tops. I think you'll find this true in most states. Moreover, the cost of fuel in CA for regular is $3.00. H2 MPG is 13 HIGHWAY. To drive 300,000 miles expect to pay ~$69,000 for gas. That can buy you three more Prius'. To drive a Prius 300,000 at 45mpg expect to pay $21,000 for gas.

    I hope with these stats, figures, and facts you'll realize that the article is very misleading. The choice is yours.
    Danny M.
    Well Danny, yes and no. Its also about energy to manufacture and dispose of automobiles. There is no way that you can say that 4 prius are as efficient as my one old FJ80. They may cost as much as a new FJ100 but not as efficient as that either. Plus with a Prius, it is very likely that you will need another car. I mean, you are not going to take a Prius sking with a monoski in it...

    From a purely $$$ perspective you can do alot better than any hybrid.

  7. #17
    From the link I posted above, nothing can even come close to a Scion Xb.

  8. #18
    Senior Member JustinB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Somewhere - Out there
    Posts
    467
    At using 126k miles on a prius, it evens out with the hummer, even using the skewed numbers from the report.

    Lots of reports of 200k miles on Priuses.

    Another bogus report, using marketing data as its basis.

    -- JB

  9. #19
    Senior Member JustinB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Somewhere - Out there
    Posts
    467
    As a side note, and I've mentioned this in other threads, I believe that the environmental impact of the Prius is not worth the added mileage. I am a firm believer in small turbo diesels having far better environmental impact than other vehicles.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Not trying to support any political beliefs. All conventional modern automobiles will last to 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. That is simply a fact.
    Where are you getting this "fact"?

Similar Threads

  1. Toyota Prius
    By ButtMonkey in forum Equipment
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
  2. Question for GWB supporters
    By kate in forum Life
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 09:06 PM
  3. Handicapped parking system failing badly
    By antiquity in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2002, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •