Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prius VS Hummer

Prius VS Hummer

Its surprising that the Prius is WORSE than a Hummer for the environment!

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

I very seriously doubt you could get 300,000 miles out of one without putting major $$ back into it which would kill the $1.95. I have a GMC pickup that has 225,000 miles on it - 2nd engine and 2nd transmission. I take exceptionally good care of it having the oil changed every 3000 miles and the transmission serviced every 20,000 miles.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF WATER AND FIBER

bcri - You have a good point that there are hidden costs in every end product.

What is worse, I'm not sure: An inefficient Hummer and it's accompanied problems or the world's landfill of cell phones, ipods, computers, lithium batteries, digital cameras, etc that we are all guilty of replacing every time a new feature is added.

From 2004, Slate magazine:

http://www.slate.com/id/2096191/

Hummer vs. Prius
    The surprising winner in the war for America's auto soul.

Of all the inanities uttered by former Bush press secretary Ari Fleischer, perhaps none was more inane than his May 2001 assertion that burning fossil fuels was part of the "blessed" American way of life. Those driving giant cars, he suggested, were not only exercising some fundamental right of citizenship but proclaiming American exceptionalism.

<snip>

Comparing the Prius and the Hummer is like comparing apples and oranges, or apples and watermelons. The Hummer costs more than twice as much as the Prius—although the absurd, huge federal tax break available to purchasers of giant vehicles for business use reduces the price a lot. (Those who purchase a Prius receive a smaller and shrinking tax break.) And of course, purchases of Hummers and Priuses represent a tiny fraction of the 16.6 million vehicles sold in 2003. The vast majority of car buyers are buying neither Hummers nor Priuses. Instead, they are purchasing millions of vehicles that get decent gas mileage, like the Ford Taurus and Honda Accord, and millions of vehicles that get poor gas mileage, like Jeeps and pickup trucks.

Those who buy Hummers and Priuses are symbolic, marginal buyers. But economists will tell you that behavior at the margins can influence entire markets. In the summer of 2002, the marginal buyers were pushing hard for the gas guzzlers. Today, more people are clamoring for fuel-efficient cars.

Could the sales figures, small as they are, signal a movement that American car buyers are becoming more eager to demonstrate conspicuous virtue? It could be. More likely the declining Hummer sales and rising Prius sales reflect that Americans are economically rational creatures. The Hummer, like many gigantic SUVs, gets about 13 miles per gallon. With gas at about $2 a gallon, and likely to rise further, driving a Hummer is an expensive proposition. Toyota's calculator shows that if you drive 40 miles a day, the annual cost of operating a Prius will be $2,144 less than operating a Hummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    From 2004, Slate magazine:

http://www.slate.com/id/2096191/

I dont agree. Its simple mathmatics. Weigh cost of vehicle, cost of fuel, cost of maintenance, life of vehicle and calculate it out. It tells the true cost of ownership. Its not apples and oranges. Its simple mathmatics.

hybrids sell well because they are trendy. Thats the simple fact. My friend bought a prius and was so proud of the fact that he had a hybrid. He admits he doesnt get better gas mileage than another friends honda civic but it is good for the environment. I get a good laugh out of that because it simply is not true.

Bcripeq,

I am not so sure that it is simple mathematics or simply misleading assumptions. The assumption that the Hummer will last 300,000 miles was the first thing that struck my mind. Monkster was right to question that. Most people also would not drive a car into the ground for 300,000 miles. If one wants to compare costs, it is more reasonable to take the cost of the car over a five year period and include the cost of depreciation, insurance, fuel, fees and taxes, etc.

So, I went to the Auto-Channel and used their program to compare four 2006 cars: Minicooper S, a Hummer H2, a Toyota Prius, and a Lincoln Navigator. Note that since this is 2007, it is assuming that you will purchase the 2006 cars at second hand prices, accounting for the low market prices that you see below. According to the analysis, the Prius is the cheapest car to purchase, own, and maintain for five years: $38,998. The Minicooper S comes a close second at $44,660 (note it has a high maintenance cost). The Lincoln Navigator is the third by a large margin with $77,289 cost. Finally, bring up the tail end is the Hummer H2, costing $84,495.

http://db.theautochannel.com/db/tota...ng_costs.phtml

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by bcripeq
    Its surprising that the Prius is WORSE than a Hummer for the environment!

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=188
    This article is very misleading and I recommend readers to do their research before believing what this article states. I like Dr. Wise's more realistic approach to debating this subject.

Please read: http://priuschat.com/lofiversion/index.php/t28834.html

Toyota purchases 1% of the nickel produced by INCO. All of the sudden this 1% has raped the environment around Ontario, even though this company has been producing Ni for over a century? Doesn't make sense.
    I do agree with purchasing a scion xB or even a Toyota Yaris(40mpg). Both cars get awesome MPG's and they cost thousands less. Once battery tech improves(Li-ion) and cost of batter production goes down then we will see the true potential of all electric vehicles and hybrids.

Danny M.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Plain and Simple, hybrid cars are the technology of the future and they will leave the hydrogen vehicles in the dust! Oh yeah, the hydrogen vehicles are only 15 to 20 years away from now.

Looks like the Japanese did it again!

300,000 miles? Yeah, right.

BTW, Hummers are trendy too, and I'd estimate the smugness-factor of Hummer owners rivals or far exceeds the smugness-factor of hybrid owners who are "proud of themselves" for helping the environment.

If anybody buys a Hummer, be sure to get one with a pussy magnet.