Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "boots" for exercise bike

"boots" for exercise bike

Greetings,

I have just obtained a recumbent exercise bike which I am extremely excited to start using. The one problem that I've experienced in the past at various gyms and PT facilities is that the clonus in my right leg gets very bad when performing the pedaling movements. It either hinders my ability to pedal for more than a few minutes, repeatedly knocks my knee into the bike (which starts to hurt after a while) or causes my leg to pedal at all sorts of weird angles, which can't be good for my hip joint or the muscles it's using.

I have used a different sort of pedal that attaches to the bike that seems to fix this problem. I guess it kind of resembles a giant AFO, only it is attached to the crank on the bike and your shoe (along with your foot and calf) sit inside it, rather than it going inside your shoe). Am I making any sense? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Anyway, I am interested in purchasing a pair of these to connect to my new bike. Does anyone know where I might come across such an item?

Thanks,

-dave

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Does anybody at least know what I'm talking about or have I done a very poor job of describing these... things?

trying to figure it out, some else may chime in, but remember care cure has been up and down for the last couple days so a lot of people cant sign in
    cauda equina

"Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Thank IMHopeful. The link had the following:
    Leg guides with calf shells (pair)
    Item no. 502

- guide the legs and hold them safely, for various kinds of paralysis

- fleecy straps for comfortable fastening

- with movable joint (at ankle joint level), height adjustable

- spring-mounted calf shells fit snugly around the calves

- ideal for activating the calf muscles and ankle joints (from 30°-50° plantar flexion (stretching) to 20°-30° dorsal flexion (bending))

and a picture - but I couldn't really understand it. My problem when trying to ride a bike is that my ankles twist (even with my AFOs so maybe it's actually my whole lower leg that twists) and my feet hit the pedal crank. Do you think that these 'leg guides' would help?

Thanks,
    Mike
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

I actually was looking for something like the "High Support Boots" (#2) found here http://http://www.scifit.com/accessories.asp

The problem is that it seems to be the case that these boots are made to fit a specific bike (made by the same manufactuer). I would think someone would make a set that fit in a standard exercide bike's crank. So far I have not been able to locate this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC

My problem when trying to ride a bike is that my ankles twist (even with my AFOs so maybe it's actually my whole lower leg that twists) and my feet hit the pedal crank. Do you think that these 'leg guides' would help?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, my son has the same injury level as you. He used the Motomed and had no problem keeping his feet and legs in place. He was not using any leg bracing when using it. Here is a picture of the strapping they use at SciStep which also works very well. He is not wearing any leg bracing in this picture either. He is still in KAFOs so, he has less control then you do. Hope this helps.

"Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Dave,
    Sally's Power Trainer came with "boots" which she could not use. We replaced them with pedals from an old exercise bike. The boots unscrewed and the pedals fit perfectly. Maybe we just got lucky, but I think you could call the manufacturer and ask for the diameter measurement of the threaded bolt that holds the boots and see if you can match that to your recumbent bike. Here's a link to "access to recreation" where these boots can be purchased.

http://store.accesstr.com//Search.bo...ycles&pageID=1

Sandi

Sandi, thanks so much for the link. I will see if I can hunt down those specs for my bike.

When you found out that Sally was not able to use the boots, were you able to return them?

We didn't even try to return them. We thought they might eventually be needed.

Sandi