Thread: TB

TB

over the last six months i have been pretty sick. blood in urine huge kidneys,huge liver. distended belly low fevers so i cant get an epi,and chronic bronchitis sp?, and no reason can be found. i went to an infectious disease dr who ordered a ppd, which was very positive. today i was getting a ultrasound, and i passed out from back pain. lots more exrays, nothing. i have a dot rash over all trunk. and low fever. they gave me dilaudid and sent me home. oh and my chest exray is neg, but i have been caughing up black for months. i have lost weight except for my belly, and im so so tired. however im told i do not have active tb. my question is, can tb cause incredible back pain? I cant even sit for long on my 400.00 cushion so i can write this. I still go to the gym. but im afraid i may make others sick.i feel an abcess in my belly, but they cant find it. can tb cause an abcess? im also wondering if there is somewhere else i can go to find out if it is active tb.I was probably infected while being treated for depression after my accident. there was a man there who was telling folks he had tb, but the nurses jus chulked it up to crazy talk. i realy feel it is possible my Dr isoverlookimg something.

I would recommend seeing a different infectious disease physician. A positive PPD is nearly always treated for 1 year, regardless of active disease or not. There are also other problems that you could have other than TB, but the symptoms are very suspicious. If you want a referral to an expert in this field, contact your local Public Health Department and ask to speak to a public health nurse TB case manager. They should be able to help you find the right physician, if it is TB. TB can effect bones as well as lungs, and can effect other organs such as kidneys and liver. You probably should also be screened for hepatitis C if you have not been already.

(KLD)

thanx. I do not have hep c, hiv,lyme.

jody,

The symptoms that you describe are worrisome and don't fit into a single syndrome. Rather than seeking a single cause, I think that you need to consider the possibility of multiple causes. Based on the above and previous posts, here are my impressions.

1. Tuberculosis. I agree with KLD that your positive TB test (PPD) warrants aggressive antibiotic therapy. Tuberculosis can indeed infect spinal bone. This needs to be ruled out with CT scan (which is best for visualizing bone infection).

2. Backpain. From a previous post, I know that you are an incomplete L1 injury and that this was "undiagnosed" for three years. I assume that you do not have instrumentation and that the possibility of herniated discs have been ruled out.

3. Hematuria. Blood in the urine is not as serious as it seems. If the blood is red, it usually means that you have inflammation (and probably infection) of your bladder walls resulting in erosion of blood vessels and hence the bleeding.

4. Low-grade fever. This can be from all sorts of causes but one that your doctor may want to consider is infection of bone. This can be diagnosed with a scan with a radioactive tracer.

5. Coughing up "black". Are you sure that you are "coughing" it up? It should be looked at to see if it is blood. If so, it is serious and it should be checked out by bronchoscopy.

6. Abscess in belly. What makes you think that you have an abscess? Is it pain and distention? That may be due to many potential causes. I doubt that it is an abscess in your belly.

Wise.

hi, thank you, I have had a whit tag scan, which showed high white, but thats all. and an mri shows small herniations at l5 s1 which are not bad enough for to fix, also at t 11,12 c1234, bulging discs. I had a twisted overy once which formed an abcess, and then bled out. it is not quite that painful. but feels the same. i have passed out from pain recently though. ive peed blood since the accident, so no big deal. however the cough and night fevers are no fun, and wont go away. I take 1/12 vicodin500 at6am 3pm and a dilaudid at 7am and3pm for pain, which is not enough. im very afraid of addiction. i hav'nt started on any treatment for the TB. the lady at the health department says a 7-8mm raised area is not positive, however my Dr says it is. the scar is11mm with a tiny hard bead sized knot. an ultra sound shows nephrohidrosis?,large liver urine retention,and slight enlarged spleen. the health department lady says since i was born in the u.s the 7mm is neg, however i am native american and have spent various amounts of time a on the rez or in mexico as a visitor. however not since a neg ppd in 1989. my close friends are neg, however,my son had a questionable 6mm reading in 1996 which was forgotten about. he has not been retested yet. i have been screened for hep and hiv also lyme. i also had a straw colored liqid drained from my belly in 2000. which i was told was old blood. dont know how it got there. i always wondered if it was related to the bloody urine.

Jody, ouch. You have had your share of problems. Regarding your PPD, I am not sure. A 10 mm response is usually considered a positive PPD. Without a positive history of contact, a predisposing condition such as HIV, or a positive chest x-ray, you probably don't need tuberculosis treatment. It does sound like you have an infection somewhere. I am puzzled by the hyperhidrosis and liver enlargement. Wise.

Wise.

thanks so much for your reply. more tests schedualed. fun fun fun.