Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Now I have two sores...

Angry Now I have two sores...

I have the stage 4 pressure ulcer on my sacrum that's been there now for over a year and a half but it slowly healing, and now I have the stage 2 pressure sore on my right ischium. We tried to close up the stage 4 last year, but I couldn't handle the amount of central pain that it caused. Now, for the past couple of months I've had a sore on my right ischium that's been staying relatively the same size. I'm doing as much as I can to eat properly and change my weight around as much as possible but I know one is getting worse in bed and the other one gets worse when I'm in my chair. It's just getting frustrated because I spent the past few months in bed and lost all sorts of strength that I worked my butt off to get right before I got this ischium sore. So now what? I'm on an air mattress at home (KCI Autoexcell), but since I spend so much time in bed, my sacrum sore has developed quite a bit more undermining than it used to have. Neither sore is infected, I'm just getting frustrated and depressed from lying in bed all the time. Not to mention my pain level has gone up quite a bit. Anyways, I guess I just had to vent.
    If you have any good advice, let me know.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

rybread,
    I know your frustration, I'm dealing with a sore currently myself. You've probably seen this thread, if not:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=77355

*-edited out eggcrate info
    Last edited by chasb; 03-10-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Do not get an eggcrate mattress. They have not been proven to provide anything but comfort. The 4 inch foam has a very small amount of pressure reducing qualities but you need pressure relieving.The KCI bed s much better for you.

CWO

ok CWO, you would know better than I. Sorry if I provided any mis-information.

I know I can't be up for very long, but you have any recommendations for a seat cushion? I currently use a Roho low-profile mainly because the high profile I have leaves me unsteady in my chair. I also have an Enhancer but I don't have a cover for it right now. I'm trying to get my insurance to approve a Airpulse PK alternating air so cushion so I can be up all the time again but it's not going as well as I would hope.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

the low profile rohos don't do much good unless you have enough padding in your butt... doubt that's the case if you have the sores... look at a stimulite classic xs.

Would that seat cushion allowed me to be up longer even with this or that I've got? I've been looking at the information for it and it definitely has me interested. Would you recommend the contoured seat cushion or the classic? I have feeling in my left hip and if I'm not perfectly straight that hip will hurt pretty badly. Will the contour aggravate that? My old Contour Select Roho cushion I had was miserable, but it doesn't look like this one is contoured as much.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Depends how high you want to sit in the chair - the contoured stimulite is comparable in height to a high-profile roho, whereas the classic models are lower. There's gotta be a place in PHX where you can demo each of these.

I can use a stimulite classic all day. I couldn't w/ the low roho.

As for your hip - yeah these'll both keep you straight.

With those two sores, you really shouldn't be up at all - sorry, I know that's not what you want to hear! If your sacral sore is getting worse in bed, then you need to position yourself to be off that area - on your side or on your stomach with padding.

If your high profile Roho was making you unsteady, perhaps you need to look at the inflation? If it's overinflated, it will definitely make you unsteady. You might also look at the Roho Quatro, which is divided into 4 quadrants, and you can adjust the amount of air in each quadrant separately.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread
    Would that seat cushion allowed me to be up longer even with this or that I've got? I've been looking at the information for it and it definitely has me interested. Would you recommend the contoured seat cushion or the classic? I have feeling in my left hip and if I'm not perfectly straight that hip will hurt pretty badly. Will the contour aggravate that? My old Contour Select Roho cushion I had was miserable, but it doesn't look like this one is contoured as much.
    Rybread,the new high profile Roho Quatro is pretty stable. I've healed wounds 3" deep in my younger years without missing any work. I do weight transfers every 3 to 5 minutes. Roho makes a cheap overlay with a cutout in center to place a Roho cushion to protect butt while sleeping. This may be a way for you to lie in bed without a lot of pressure on your wounds.
    I realize that we are all different and weight shifts are probably much easier for me than for you. My current wound is the first serious wound I've had in 38+ years of rolling.Rapid weight loss and sitting or lying in my own mucous 24/7 bcause of diversion colitis was more than my aging skin could take. Hope you find a solution. I can relate to your frustration.