Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: car top carrier or chairtopper

car top carrier or chairtopper

This car thing sucks. Now I am looking into a chairtopper or car top carrier.

Anybody use or has used one?? Which brand is recommended, I have seen Tiptop and Braun. How long does it take to lower the hoist, hook up the chair and load it up?? Braun claims to be faster.

Is it practical?? Anyone used it and decided to stop using it? Why??

Thanks again.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Nothing useful out of me other than...do you really want a Big Mac box on top of your car? Oh yeah, you need a folding chair for that too.

Quote Originally Posted by paramoto
    This car thing sucks.
    Which part? You should be able to drive just about any car you want.

Now I am looking into a chairtopper or car top carrier.
    Ish! That would be my last option. Why are you thinking of going in that direction? Even putting aside the aesthetic aspects (which I couldn't do if it were my car), you know it's going to take longer getting in and out of the vehicle and it's one more thing to be dependent on and to risk breaking down and leaving you SOL.

C.

Chair toppers

I have been using a chair topper for the last 5 years. I have had very little problem with breakdown and like the fact that I don't have to lift the chair and store it in my car (especially in the winter). Braun is the model that I have used. Maybe it does look like I have a permanent car top carrier, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Even putting aside the aesthetic aspects (which I couldn't do if it were my car)...
    C.
    TR,

You can't put aside the aesthetic aspects of a car? I thought you drove Fords?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    I thought you drove Fords?
    I don't drive "Fords". I drive Mustangs.

C.

I thought they were neat, biggest real issue to me was that you can't use a rigid chair, you have to use one of the side-to-side folding ones, or at least that's the way all the ones I've looked at were.

There is, of course, the whole giant box on top of your car which will interefere with aerodynamics to a small extent, worsening gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    I don't drive "Fords". I drive Mustangs.

C.
    Ya Tiger, I can just picture you racing your mustang around the track with a chair topper on the roof. Think of the draft the cars would get behind you, lol. They would pass you like being shot from a slingshot bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee
    I can just picture you racing your mustang around the track with a chair topper on the roof.
    Oh, good gods! The stock Mustang is already an aerodynamic brick.

Think of the draft the cars would get behind you, lol. They would pass you like being shot from a slingshot bow.
    At least then I'd have an excuse!

C.

Know a man who uses the Braun with a folding Quickie that looks decent, He has the Topper mounted on a Hoopty, so the aesthetics aren't an issue. He reports no reliability issues, and his load time and hassle is minimal.

After reflection, decided that a folder and giant box on the roof wouldn't work for me, but I like the advantages (just not enough).
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg