Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Does Nerve Pain dimininish with time?

Increased, yes. Decreased, yes.

I guess I'm the weird case. When I left the hospital, I had nerve pain at t7 where I had smooshed a vertabra. I left using methadone and neurontin and it helped. About 2 months later, t7 went away and t10-11 started and went through the roof. I'm using neurontin 3200mg x3 and it mostly works.

Also, for those of you who are thinking about or are on 4ap, it does, at least in my case, magnify any pain you may have. If you need to know the exact mechanics, I'm sure Wise could tell you.
    Best wishes.

Throwing sand in your eyes helps the other pains go away. Throwing sand in someone elses eyes works better for me though.

Pain Seems Worse???

Im about 4 years post.,. T-12 Started on here just after my wreck. My pain has gone from Terribly awful to Crazy Bad. I am now on 30mg OCY 2 times a day. Then, breakthrough OXYcodone 10-325 1.5 times a day. I would not want to go without it... I couldnt survive... but I dont think it does what I wish it would do... LOL. Its awful... and I cant believe that I meet (guys )and ) girls that have no pain at all? Damn How lucky is that. I am one of those that would be so happy to just be Paralized? Sick isnt it! Thanks, Mike
    Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

It took me almost two years and two pain doctors - at two different pain clinics to get my pain under control, and we are still working on fine tuning it. My symptoms changed, presumably because the swelling in my spinal cord went down, and I developed the feeling of spasms in my core of flabby abs. DON'T GIVE UP PEOPLE. Nerve pain is very hard to treat, you just have to keep trying different meds and different combinations of meds. It is not a short process.

I'm still trying new combinations. Monday I have an appt with a physiatrist that will take over my rehab and pain management. Only one year post so I'm still a rookie. Gonna stay proactive and positive even though it's no fun. Life goes on and it ain't all bad.

Hey there I am T10 complete injury. I have nerve pain around my stomach and taken gabapentin 1800 mg. It was less then that before then my doctor increase it. My injury is four going on five years. If I don't have my meds my stomach getting cramp up like you holding a rope and tide it into a not and keep on pulling it tighter and tighter. I also taking Fentanyl 50 mcg for my leg because I'm feeling electricity in my leg like I'm sitting in a electric chair with high voltag. Before my pain wasn't that strong and I feel no electricity, but I'm doing acupuncture for four going on five years now and my pain and electricity getting stronger and stronger. I have a chance to gain my feeling back thats why I'm feeling so much pain and electricity, but it still a long way to go. My doctor said my is a complete injury, but I prove them wrong so now I'm fighting to gain my feeling back. I don't know if I ever getting my feeling back, but I can't give up now. My hope is to high to give up. Let me ask your guys a question. If mine is a complete injury so that means that I can't feel cramp or electricity in my leg right? I shouldn't feel anything at all and now as time goes by with doing acupuncture. I feeling pain and electricity in my leg so that means mine is an incomplete injury right? Also when I twiste my body left to right, I can feel my leg muscle move along with me. Thats mean I still have a chance so I can't give up now. My acupuncture said I have to feel pain before I can recovery well then I feel a lot of pain right now. Do any of your guys feel the same?

Quote Originally Posted by amethyst
    It took me almost two years and two pain doctors - at two different pain clinics to get my pain under control, and we are still working on fine tuning it. My symptoms changed, presumably because the swelling in my spinal cord went down, and I developed the feeling of spasms in my core of flabby abs. DON'T GIVE UP PEOPLE. Nerve pain is very hard to treat, you just have to keep trying different meds and different combinations of meds. It is not a short process.
    Glad to hear you're getting good results. What combination works for you?

I am one of those people who has popped in and out of these pages for the last 10 years or so. I am a c6 SCI quad who has also had debilating pain since 2 years post injury. I am sorry to say, it has not gotten any better--actually worse. I have tried everything imaginable and combinations thereof in my pump and orally. Right now I am trying "Prialt" or zinconitide. So far I have 2.3ug/day. No help yet, just a splitting headache to add to the burning pain!
    If anyone else is on Prialt, would they please send me a quick e-mail?
    Thanks, Holly

My pain has progressively gotten worse since my accident 7yrs ago. I haven't as yet found any drug that does much to help with the pain, but I get some relief from Gabapentin. A physiatrist once told me that if you have the pain long enough the pain receptors will burn out and pain will subside. I think they must have carried out those experiments on cadavers, because I know no one with that experience.
    mike

I didn't start having bad nerve pain, until I had a flap surgery last year. Before that, all I had to take 600 mg of Neurontin and a 1 mg Xanax. Now I have to take 3600 mg of Neurontin (Gabbapentin), 30 mg of methadone, 80 mg of baclofen and a 1 mg Xanax. All that because my surgery. the one thing that really seems to help the pain is my Xanax, it also seems to help spasms a lot, kind of helps take my mind off of it. My wife is always telling me I don't need to take it. But I tell her stop taking her Paxil and see how she feels, no comments of that one. The last time I really had nerve pain like this was right after I was first hurt. I faded down after a couple years and almost came to a stopping point. But I guess that's life
    Cripp