Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Does Nerve Pain dimininish with time?

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    not all are so lucky.
    Darn right. :-( And I have yet to find any med that touches the central pain.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

First six months I had nothing...now it's so bad (1.5 years post) that I'm on my stomach most days.

I can usually tell what kind of a day it will be in regards to the nerve pain before I get out of bed in the morning. Activity just worsens the pain too.

Might be time to turn to alcohol or . I've tried everything else out there without luck.
    Paralyze resistance with persistence.
    T-12

Yeah I am having a hard time too now. For a while there I was doing good had the pain managed, bumped my lyrica up to 300 on Friday, pain level are still spiking. Last night was 100 mg in oxycodone. And I was still up till 4 am with the pain. I knew I was lucky there for awhile. I always knew it could get worse.
    cauda equina

Mine actually diminished to the point to where it's basically non-existent and I'm at 18 months post with a mid-thoracic injury. When I left the hospital I was on 3200mg of Neurontin a day. Now, I take nothing. Don't need it. My legs are just numb, but there are no burning sensations that keep me from living life--thankfully.

Like I said when I started this thread... I was afraid I knew the answer to my question. I am going to remain hopeful that something will come down the pipe that will manage the nerve pain effectively.

I relate to the reply about not knowing from day to day what it will be like. I guess it forces me to live life one day at a time.

Still trying to adjust the meds to find the balance between pain and numbed into a catatonic state.

I believe in miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange
    Like I said when I started this thread... I was afraid I knew the answer to my question. I am going to remain hopeful that something will come down the pipe that will manage the nerve pain effectively.

I relate to the reply about not knowing from day to day what it will be like. I guess it forces me to live life one day at a time.

Still trying to adjust the meds to find the balance between pain and numbed into a catatonic state.

I believe in miracles.
    i just wish i could get numb. haven't found any med combos to do that yet. well, except vodka, lol. and then i usually just end up getting stupid since its mixed with the meds. the oxy and lyrica helped at first but now its just like i'm eatin pills, lol.

i can tell how my days gonna be when i first wake up too. here lately i wake up so sore and spazzed out in the mornings i don't even wanna get up.

sci pain sukks, maybe that miracle drug will come along soon.

my dragon comes out at night, anytime i lie down.
    i can usually mange my pain levels during the day
    cauda equina

Thumbs up Medical Mj

I have tried all conventional medications available from my doc and mj is the only thing that lessens the burning. i am 3 yrs post and the pain is pretty constant.

i am 5 years post and my pain increased...i might say....became ferocious ,excrutiating.i will ask my nephew to gum a piece of paper on my door[beware of adi ...he might bite]LOL.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by harpo2
    Can't say re traumatic injuries, but my understanding from many posts here and elsewhere is that it can take 4-6 months post op for NP to even out for an atraumatic injury, but that recovery can proceed for up to 24 months. But generally the trend is for recovery to be less for pain and B&B issues than it is for motor abilities. I too would be grateful if someone could correct me re the NP recovery as I am 8 months post op to correct an AVM at T8 and have more NP now than prior or just after op. I notice that extended effort increases the pain for weeks before settling.
    Hello harpo2. As for atraumatic I ha surgery performed on an intramedullary AVM around the levels Th4 in 2001. Pain from the right hand side nipple level down to the groin area on same side, stabile as just after the surgery, hope it will continue like that, cause now it is not bugging me down to much, some at nights and sometimes it is a little better and also a little worse at days, recon that has to do with other daily living factors (bowel etc.), meds works pretty good or I should say very good, have tried to quit a few times but had to get back on the meds (Gabapentin) after those experiments. I consider myself lucky as such, and hope it will be stabile, but have read one could get “out of span” to some medications over time thus less effect gained with subsequent more pain. Hope it will not turn out like that over time because when I have quit the meds to try to get off it the pain has been increasing enough to put the pain in the driver seat. No comparison to ones with heavy constant pain here though, but still. But again, stabile as clockwork over that time period for me. I also recon it could vary a lot from person to person, depending on the damage, where and what damaged. Wish you good luck in your recovery.