Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Does Nerve Pain dimininish with time?

Does Nerve Pain dimininish with time?

I think I know the answer to this question, but would like to hear some other peoples experiences. I am a L1 complete Asia A paraplegic one year post. Lots of nerve pain. I take Methadone 30 mg/day - 75 mg Lyrica 3 times /day - xanaflex - cymbalta once per day - xanax as needed - ambian as needed.

Sometimes pain is so bad I can't do anything but lay around. Usually activity increases pain.

Please say it eventually gets less.
    Optimistically yours,
    Grange

No mine has actually worsened. My accident was 18 years ago and I didnt take any drugs for pain the first 15 of those years.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

i was pretty pain free the first 2 yrs. now i can barely function and meds are no help.....6 yrs post.

everyobodys different though.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    It's different for each person but in my case I'm 2 1/2 years post and the pain has diminished.

It happened very slowly and there are still times every day that can be unbearable, but it's far better then at first when it was relentless.

Be Big,
    Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Any trends re traumatic vs atraumatic injury?

Can't say re traumatic injuries, but my understanding from many posts here and elsewhere is that it can take 4-6 months post op for NP to even out for an atraumatic injury, but that recovery can proceed for up to 24 months. But generally the trend is for recovery to be less for pain and B&B issues than it is for motor abilities. I too would be grateful if someone could correct me re the NP recovery as I am 8 months post op to correct an AVM at T8 and have more NP now than prior or just after op. I notice that extended effort increases the pain for weeks before settling.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by harpo2
    Can't say re traumatic injuries, but my understanding from many posts here and elsewhere is that it can take 4-6 months post op for NP to even out for an atraumatic injury, but that recovery can proceed for up to 24 months. But generally the trend is for recovery to be less for pain and B&B issues than it is for motor abilities. I too would be grateful if someone could correct me re the NP recovery as I am 8 months post op to correct an AVM at T8 and have more NP now than prior or just after op. I notice that extended effort increases the pain for weeks before settling.
    I don't buy into "Time Frames". Doctors like to use them but the bottom line is that they don't know.

I've seen and heard from many that would defy any time frame other then "Who Knows".

Just my .02

Be Big,
    Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

during my past years of experience,since 03,things have become progressively worse over time.there are definite chemical changes that take place within the cord itself,that from what my ns told me,go on continuously thru out at least that first year after the actual SCI.i also read this in an article as well.but my pain and the many little syndromes that have been created appear to evolve and morph and are constsantly like recreating themselves.no two days in a row are ever quite the same for me,when i go to bed at night and wake up in the morning and start to progress thru my day,something is always just a bit different than the day before.everything appears to be in flux,never static for me anyways.tho i do have some pain that basically never really changes,others are just really insane.

i really wish i had known the full scope of just what actually takes place with SCI,BEFORE i had my surgery.

harpo,i too was first Dxed with an AVM right under my c 8 nerve,and inside my cord,it was later determined to actually be a cavernoma instead,i really thought i was kind of out of the woods when this was actually found to be venous fed instead of arterial,but man was i wrong.i had to have mine removed from my cord as it was actively bleeding(more of an ooze type thing?)the bleeds inside and out were just closing off my remaining cord space.my NS told me that the next bleed would most likely paralyze me so i had a big nasty choice to make,the lessor of two evils crap?i am thinking this was also your situation as well?did your AVM actually bleed or did they cause the damage during the resection of it?either way it still sucks to live with the aftermath.have you been to the angioma alliance website at all yet?this site was like my bible while i was contemplating my surgery and when i made that decision and afterwords too.the support there was just amazing and the people all understood what i was dealing with.great place to vent too,lol.

i get the feeling,just seeing and feeling whats occured since my SCI that this is going to be this way like forever now.things changing and morphing and things just never always the same anymore as the day before.this has been my experience anyway,and i know alot of others here have this going on too.its just all part of living with SCI i guess.spinal cord injuries are definitely not for whimps.i have found out along the way that i am a much stronger person than i ever gave myself credit for.Marcia

It either stays the same , gets better , or gets worse . But with the proper medication and adjustments in doses , you should be fairly comfortable. I have Chiari and Syringomyelia
    SM/ACM Surgery in 1999

When the world says "give up"; hope whispers "try one more time"
    -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by razzle51
    It either stays the same , gets better , or gets worse . But with the proper medication and adjustments in doses , you should be fairly comfortable. I have Chiari and Syringomyelia
    not all are so lucky.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    not all are so lucky.
    Word.