Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Does Nerve Pain dimininish with time?

2am - Still up . I HATE NERVE PAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Found Something That May Could Help with SCI Pain

Hey y'all. I posted this on the thread about hating the pain. I thought I'd also post it here in case y'all don't see it. I was looking up different things associated with chronic pain of different conditions. I'm not sure if this could help y'all, but I found an article on this hospital's website and was reading some. It says this one doctor (Dr. Kaufman) has treated a lot of different types of chronic pain and helped many people. And one thing I found interesting is that the doctor said if pain meds don't seem to help with different types of chronic pain, then they can surgically put this Spinal Chord Stimulation (SCS) device in the spine to send low levels of electrical stimulation to interrupt the pain signals to the brain. I think it's used for shingles of the spine, but I'm not sure if maybe it'd be effective for other conditions as well and could help some of y'all. I don't know. I just ran across this and thought I'd share the info since it may be able to help some of y'all. I really hope so. Here's the link:

http://www.theuniversityhospital.com.../back_pain.htm

Oh yeah, here's another source that I found. It tells about a woman's experience with extreme chronic pain. I think she had a SCI like y'all, and her back, leg, and foot had extreme, excruciating pain that kept her from sleeping at night and made her not really able to function at all. She had the Spinal Chord Stimulation treatment done and said it didn't completely help with the pain, but it did tone it down a lot. Here's the link for that article:

http://www.health.com/health/conditi...9773_2,00.html
    Last edited by sweetluvgurl; 07-06-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Found another source

well, if ppl haven't seen my work post in life, i can only say, for me, it has gotten so much worse, i can't work. despite working 23 yrs of my 24 yrs paralyzed and in pain. i don't know for sure if working made it worse, but last 3-4 yrs of job stress, single parent stress and life stress didn't help.

but...just know when to quit. i didn't. when i was up to 70 hrs/wk, i should have known i was pushing myself too hard.

i don't know if neuro pain increases w/time by itself. it did w/me.

5 years post, it's like day 1 --- I usually get two or three good days a week where it's bearable, the remaining awful -- You need mental diversion to take the edge off, and stress can trigger for sure... my experience

Not trying to go against the government, but Ive been doing my own test for 15yrs and Med MJ WORKS! As to the original question I think it does lessen in time

After 10 years I have to say mine has gotten worse than ever. Shit, I only thought it was bad before. Now I deal with finding something that works for the pain because I've gone through it all.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy View Post
    not all are so lucky.
    I agree! 18 years post injury in pain for 17!

I just got back from Jamaica and the "stuff" there took away the pain for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetluvgurl View Post
    Hey y'all. I posted this on the thread about hating the pain. I thought I'd also post it here in case y'all don't see it. I was looking up different things associated with chronic pain of different conditions. I'm not sure if this could help y'all, but I found an article on this hospital's website and was reading some. It says this one doctor (Dr. Kaufman) has treated a lot of different types of chronic pain and helped many people. And one thing I found interesting is that the doctor said if pain meds don't seem to help with different types of chronic pain, then they can surgically put this Spinal Chord Stimulation (SCS) device in the spine to send low levels of electrical stimulation to interrupt the pain signals to the brain. I think it's used for shingles of the spine, but I'm not sure if maybe it'd be effective for other conditions as well and could help some of y'all. I don't know. I just ran across this and thought I'd share the info since it may be able to help some of y'all. I really hope so. Here's the link:

http://www.theuniversityhospital.com.../back_pain.htm

Oh yeah, here's another source that I found. It tells about a woman's experience with extreme chronic pain. I think she had a SCI like y'all, and her back, leg, and foot had extreme, excruciating pain that kept her from sleeping at night and made her not really able to function at all. She had the Spinal Chord Stimulation treatment done and said it didn't completely help with the pain, but it did tone it down a lot. Here's the link for that article:

http://www.health.com/health/conditi...9773_2,00.html

My husband is a T9-10 complete asia a since April 2010. At first his pain was nothing. Then about 6 months after accident he started getting the burning pain really bad. Some days he can't get out of bed. Moving around makes it worse. He has took so many different meds it is unreal! Still trying to find something to help. He also had the spinal cord stimulator trial. He did not help at all. So glad that he only had the trial because it was easy to remove. It may work for some but it did nothing for him. I know that people think we are crazy when he says he hurts so bad. They think just because he can't walk and is in that chair he shouldn't feel anything. Well he can't feel my touch or anything else but he BURNS all the time. He says it feels like his legs are dangling in hell most of the time. If anyone has any suggestions for us, we will gladly take them.

Does the pain lessen?

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I think I know the answer to this question, but would like to hear some other peoples experiences. I am a L1 complete Asia A paraplegic one year post. Lots of nerve pain. I take Methadone 30 mg/day - 75 mg Lyrica 3 times /day - xanaflex - cymbalta once per day - xanax as needed - ambian as needed.

Sometimes pain is so bad I can't do anything but lay around. Usually activity increases pain.

Please say it eventually gets less.
    Optimistically yours,
    Grange
    It gets worse. My pain is at it's worse now after 31 years.

Does the Methadone 30 mg/day work?
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~