Thread: TM reoccurance? I need help.

Banned

TM reoccurance? I need help.

I was diagnosed with TM a few years ago. I lost complete use of my body from the waist down for 7 months. I was treated for the disease, and I was told that I had a fairly good recovery. For the past few months now, I have been experiencing some muscle weakness in my legs to the point that I literally cannot walk out of my bed, and stand up for that matter. I've been experiencing numbness in my neck and tongue, without migraine, and it gets so bad that I drool when I talk. I've had constant back pain, and a sensation at the base of my spine as if there is a bubble there about to pop. I worked very hard for a good recovery, and I really hope that it hasn't found a way back into my life. The doctors cannot seem to give me any answers. I also have a history of MS in my family, but they reassured me that I do not have it, so what could it possibly be? I can't stay bed ridden anymore; I need to gain back contol of my legs, because right now, they're useless. Please help me figure out what's wrong.
    Last edited by Nightshade; 03-08-2007 at 09:43 AM.

It is my understanding that a 'recurrence of TM' will lead to a diagnosis of MS .. but I don't have any experience with this. I contracted TM at 12 and was left paralyzed from the waist down without any further episodes. I'm 34 now.

I would keep in close contact with your neuro on this. You've had a recent MRI?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Banned
    No, but I went to see my doctor today, and he schelduled another one in a few months time thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    It is my understanding that a 'recurrence of TM' will lead to a diagnosis of MS .. but I don't have any experience with this. I contracted TM at 12 and was left paralyzed from the waist down without any further episodes. I'm 34 now.

I would keep in close contact with your neuro on this. You've had a recent MRI?
    Lynnifer,

TM can recur or progress. MS is of course a possibility but recurrent TM is can occur. I have met several people who have had recurrent and progressive TM. Because there have been relatively few cases and they are widely scattered, clinical trials are hard to do. However, based on just pathological princioples and what I see in animals, I suggest that TM should be treated in the same way as a recurrent exacerbation of MS. High dose steroids is recommended.

Wise.

Definitly talk to your doc about what Wise said. High dose steroids cannot hurt whether it's a recurrence of TM or MS starting. Your area and Nova Scotia also have a known high rate of TM versus most of the world. If you check at myelitis.org you will find that the recommended treatment is more steroids or plasmapheresis and soon.

Good luck and let us know how things go.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.