Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adult stem cells will not do

Adult stem cells will not do

according to Tom Okarma of Geron - there may be those who would say "Well he would say that wouldn't he" , but it will be very interesting to read the full article when it appears. As far as SCI goes, the signs are that he could be right.

10 March 2007
    Tom Okarma
    Magazine issue 2594
    Those who argue that embryonic stem cell research is immoral and unnecessary are blocking the future of healthcare, says Tom Okarma
    THERE is considerable debate in certain circles in the US over whether stem cells from adults will be as effective in treating disease as those from embryos. The White House, which opposes the use of human embryonic stem cells (ESCs) on ethical grounds, argues that we don't need them since adult stem cells show great promise. This point has been central to the political discussions over whether to lift President George W. Bush's restrictions on federal funding for research into human ESCs. The House of Representatives voted to lift them in January and the Senate will vote soon.

Among the majority of scientists, however, there is no debate at all. There is simply no substitute for the use of human ESCs if we are serious about delivering the medical advances that stem cells promise.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...ll-not-do.html

Arrow List of conditions for which ESCR has shown proven curative capabilities in animals!!

Please be alert to the fact that those who run this board do not want you to speak up about ESCR when you are in face to face meetings with your legislators.

If however you do find yourself in face to face meetings with your legislators, below is a handy list to print out and take along with you.

I have come to realize that legislators are not as concerned about the "moral" side of ESCR as they are fully aware it involves discarded cells anyway. What they still struggle with is doing something that the misinformed religious right ( only 30% of americans) have a problem with.

So legislators struggle more with figuring out the ACTUAL usefulness of ESCR.

You can help them get a good grasp of that by printing out this list, handing it to them, and going through the various conditions for which ESCR has already shown curative capabilities in animals.

Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research

Embryonic Stem Cell Research Progress

Embryonic stem cell research is an amazingly new science, begun in 1998 by Dr. James Thomson of the University of Wisconsin. Despite continual political attacks, and extremely limited funding, human Embryonic Stem Cell (hESC) research has already made a substantial contribution to the battle against incurable disease and disability. Below is a sampling of embryonic stem cell research progress.

ALS: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Lou Gehrig’s Disease: At the University of Wisconsin at Madison, scientists have turned hESC into motor neurons (nerves which carry messages between brain and body), offering possibilities for repairing damage caused by ALS, spinal cord injury, and other nerve-related disorders.
    --Nature Biotechnology, January 30, 2005

ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE: Until now, it was impossible to study the complete progress of this horrific disease, which robs sufferers of both memory and life. We do not know how or why or even exactly when it begins. With human embryonic stem cells, (hESC), however, we may be able to isolate the disease and observe its progress from inception to death on human tissue cells, not human beings. hESCs may also provide a new way to design better Alzheimer’s medicines. Dr. Lawrence Goldstein of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, UCSD, is using hESC to test new ideas of how Alzheimer’s disease develops, and how it might be treated.
    --L. Goldstein, personal communication, March 26, 2005

BIOLOGICAL PACEMAKERS: In Israel, Dr. Izhak Kehat and Dr. Lior Gepstein grew heart stem cells in a Petri dish, and transplanted them into the severely damaged hearts of pigs. Eleven of thirteen hearts regained more normal heart rates. Control animals had no improvement. Their work indicates that stem cell transplantation can translate into clinical benefit for heart disease sufferers.
    --Washington Post, September 26, 2004

BLINDNESS: The major cause of blindness in Americans over age 60 is macular degeneration: the loss of retinal cells in the eye. Dr. Robert Lanza and Dr. Irina Klimanskaya of Advanced Cell Technology in New Jersey used hESC to make retinal cells, which may one day offer the return of vision to millions suffering from blindness due to retinal disease.
    --Medical Science News, September 23, 2004

CANCER: The speed at which cancer develops is a major obstacle in curing this devastating disease. At Kumamoto University in Japan, and Cambridge University in England, surface proteins were developed that could mark cancer stem cells, laying ground work for new drugs that may one day slow, or even turn off, tumor formation. Advancing understanding about cancer stem cells draws from knowledge gained about the growth and development of hESCs. This work will open the door to a day when cancer treatments may be truly curative.
    --University of Cambridge, 19 January, 2005

CYSTIC FIBROSIS: Cystic fibrosis inflames the lungs, strangling CF patients in thick slimy mucous. Using hESCs, Dr. Stephen Minger of King’s College, London, developed a stem cell line of cystic fibrosis. Now the disease can be studied in a human cell line that has genetic mutations akin to those seen in CF sufferers.
    --BBC News UK, September 9 2004

DEAFNESS: The death of tiny hair cells inside the ear contributes to deafness for an estimated 28 million Americans. These cells do not naturally regrow. However, using hESC techniques, Dr. Stefan Heller of Boston’s Eye and Ear Infirmary has generated these inner-ear hair cells, raising the possibility that this technique may lead to new treatments for the deaf.
    --Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, October 27, 2004

DIABETES: At Stanford University, researchers have made insulin-producing cells from mouse embryonic cells. When transplanted into diabetic mice, these cells reduced blood sugar fluctuations and increased lifespan (1). And at the University of Miami, Dr. Juan Dominguez Bendala isolated a protein necessary to turn embryonic stem cells into large quantities of insulin-producing pancreatic cells (2).
    --1.http://www.diabetes.co.uk/htm/news/newstemcellstudy.htm
    --2. Beacon Journal, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, September 7, 2004

GROWING HUMAN TISSUE: At the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Dr. Robert Langer used embryonic stem cells to grow liver, cartilage, nerve tissue and blood vessels, all of which appeared to function normally when transplanted into mice.
    --Boston Globe, October 28, 2003

HEMOPHILIA: At the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Dr. Jeffrey Fair and Dr. Oliver Smithies used ES cells to reverse hemophilia (blood clotting disorder) in mice.
    --Science Daily, February 15, 2005

IMMUNE SYSTEM DISEASE: Cambridge, Massachusetts: Adult mice were bred without the gene RAG-2, needed for the immune system. Using Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer (SCNT, or therapeutic cloning) to make the cells, RAG-2 was given to the mice, partially restoring the non-functioning immune system. This successful proof-of-principle experiment reveals possible benefits for the battle against AIDS.--Cell, April 5, 2002, (1) 17-22

PARKINSON’S: Israel’s Dr. Benjamin Reubinoff transplanted human embryonic stem cells into the brains of rats which did not have dopamine-producing nerve cells. (Dopamine in a healthy body controls motion; loss of dopamine production in the brain is associated with a Parkinson’s sufferer’s shaking). Implanted stem cells became dopamine-producing cells and brought significant improvements in the animal’s motion relative to controls.--BBC News,
    June 30, 2004

SPINAL CORD INJURY PARALYSIS: Using hESCs, Dr. Hans Keirstead in the Roman Reed Laboratory at UC Irvine restored myelin insulation around damaged nerves, returning motion to partially paralyzed rats.—Journal of Neuroscience, accepted for publication, March 31, 2005. See also New York Times, February 23, 2005)

http://www.stemcellfunding.org/resou...h_Progress.htm

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Please be alert to the fact that those who run this board do not want you to speak up about ESCR when you are in face to face meetings with your legislators.

Posted by Faye
    Faye;

Sorry, but I have to call you on this. The quote above is a lie.

You can advocate for ESCR however you choose. However, there is no need to misrepresent the views of other Members.

It detracts from your message.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    John, interestingly I do not lie. You can fault me for being too above baord and too direct.

Here is just one element of the proof:
    Rationale for unlinking CRPA and SCREA at last year's rally

A thread started by Dr. Young himself in which he wants to make sure people do not bring up ESCR in their face to face meetings with legislators:

CRPA is the goal of the Rally and not SCREA for several additional reasons........

In summary, some have claimed on these forums that separation of CRPA and SCREA is anti-ESC. I don't think that this is true. To be sure, there are some who do not support SCREA but it is their right and many others support embryonic stem cell research. The CRPA was stuck in Congressional committees for nearly four years. This may have been because there was no money for the bill and Congress was unable to get the enthusiasm up for another unfunded mandate to NIH. On the other hand, it is possible that the bill was held back because some people thought that the bill promoted embryonic stem cells. Last year, when the bill was revived, the primary sponsor of the bill in the House and several sponsors of the bill in the Senate are against embryonic stem cell research. The CRPA enjoys bipartisan support and should not be part of the embryonic stem cell battle. To now make the CRPA part of the stem cell battle, in my opinion, would jeopardize bipartisan support for the bill.
    Funny thing is the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act actually enjoys far wider bi-partisan support, so it's ludacrous to leave ESCR advocacy out of our face to face meetings with legislators.

Oh, of course John, we are allowed to give ESCR lip service, "just DON'T bring it up in face to face meetings with legislators", is the message we get from those who run this board.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

"...we are allowed to give ESCR lip service, "just DON'T bring it up in face to face meetings with legislators", is the message we get from those who run this board."

Posted by Faye
    Faye;

The lie is your suggestion that a tactic for promoting a separate piece of legislation, is a policy of Care Cure. It is just a tactic seeking a temporary objective. SCREA is important, but it is not the only game in DC. I think veterans can lobby their legislators for improved conditions at Walter Reed without bringing up ESCR. The same is true for the CRPA. Your lie is the implication that Dr. Young and others are anti-ESCR. That is not true.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    according to Tom Okarma of Geron - there may be those who would say "Well he would say that wouldn't he" , but it will be very interesting to read the full article when it appears. As far as SCI goes, the signs are that he could be right.l
    carbar, thanks for posting. I think it's a necessary reminder of the promise of ESCR. We need to continue pushing for ESCR, here in the US and around the world. That is why the SCREA is important to us.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Faye,

If you persist in making false and misleading statements that attack other members of this board, you will be banned. What you said is not true.

Wise.

Everybody:

For those people who are not aware of the circumstances, let me review the history. In October 2004, Christopher Reeve died. In April 2005, a group of people including many CareCure members went to Washington DC to lobby for the passage of the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (CRPA). The Christopher Reeve Foundation (CRF) and the Coalition for Advancement Medical Research (CAMR) helped organize the rally and advised people to separate CRPA from the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (SCREA).

People were not told that they could not talk about embryonic stem cell research, only that they should not link CRPA and SCREA. For example, I went to the April 2005 rally and spoke to my (New Jersey) senators and representatives about the need for more spinal cord injury clinical trials and the importance of embryonic stem cell research. I told them that the CRPA is about developing therapies to reverse paralysis.

Dana Reeve attended the 2005 Rally, lobbied alongside us, and strongly supported the goal of the Rally. The goal of the April 2005 rally was to get CRPA out of committee and to be considered by the House and the Senate. While one organizer of the rally is a moderator on CareCure and there were extensive discussions of the Rally and its strategies on this web site, the rally was not sponsored nor controlled by "those who run this board".

The CRPA provides funding for NIH to establish centers dedicated to developing and testing therapies to reverse paralysis. SCREA allows the National Institutes of Health to fund research on embryonic stem cells derived from blastocysts that are discarded from in vitro fertilization clinics. The two bills are not related.

In May 2006, a second Rally was held. In September 2006, Congress passed SCREA but President Bush vetoed it. At the present, even though Democrats hold a majority in both the House and Senate, while there is a possibility that the Senate may be able to muster the 67 votes needed to overcome a Presidential veto, most experienced observers believe that there are not enough votes in the House of Representatives to over-ride a veto.

As many people who have been on this site know, I have strongly supported embryonic stem cell research, pushed for the passage of SCREA, and have encouraged people to speak to their legislators to vote for the bill. Faye's continued false accusations of CareCure members of not supporting embryonic stem cell research is not only nappropriate behavior but deeply offensive to many of us who have long supported the research.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-08-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Faye--you post a lot of really helpful and informative articles in the forums and they are very appreciated. And then *wham* your posts are coming from left field. I think we'd all appreciate if you toned it down a bit as these left field posts are really detracting from your message.
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    Faye--you post a lot of really helpful and informative articles in the forums and they are very appreciated. And then *wham* your posts are coming from left field. I think we'd all appreciate if you toned it down a bit as these left field posts are really detracting from your message.
    It's not my message we are talking about......it's the ESCR message that we naeed to take out there.

I thank you for doing so yourself last week in DC, but it is deceptive to have people claim they are Pro-ESCR who then don't bother to advocate it in face to face meetings with legislators. This has been going on for 3 years now, and there are many who have left CC because of this.

Maybe you should talk to those who have left CC rather than those who are still here running it.

Young does ASCR.

I am Pro-Cure and Pro-ESCR. I think that it's important to discuss the importance of ESCR to legislators, face-to-face and in whatever other forms of contact.

I don't agree with some of the people on CareCure, their tactics or policies, but that is a separate issue; some of your posts are becoming counterproductive. I agree with you that the virtues of ESCR should be touted to all legislators. The message needs to be applied "rinse and repeat" until it gets through.

What I do find counterproductive are these posts that persistently accuse people of being less than pro-ESCR. Perhaps they have different agenda , political/religious leanings, or are simply using different lobbying tactics. You don't agree with them. I may not agree with their tactics, either. We all get it.
    Daniel