Thread: AD symptoms

AD symptoms

does AD always have to have the 'normal' symptoms? i'm a c5/6 and have never experienced the headache/sweating/ blood pressure problems, despite having many instances where my cath was kinked, etc.
    however, the last few days i have suffered severe constipation, and it has caused very high fevers (104.6 one time!) where i am shivering violently because i feel cold. i also feel extreme nausea and lightheadedness if i sit up. this same thing has happened following my 4 surgeries since my injury, 2 yrs ago.
    is this reaction my body's signal for AD? or is it something else?

"Today I will do what others won't, so that tomorrow I can do what others can't."

The only time I get the violent shivering and fever is when I have a really bad kidney/bladder infection, or after Ive had surgery which was usually kidney related. Its totally seperate from the AD symptoms I get. I think it has to be your bloodpressure to be AD. You might just have an infection thats goofing up your bowels and stuff.

[This message was edited by Cory on 07-08-04 at 10:13 PM.]

The one thing you have to have for it to be autonomic dysreflexia is high blood pressure. If your blood pressure is not high, it's not AD. It's very unusual for a person to develop fevers with constipation. But constipation can screw up your bladder and that could lead to infection which can cause fevers. You should probably see your doctor.

RAB

Scott,

I am having the same problem with my bp as you mentioned in your other post. I'm C5-7 and have also never had the headaches and sweating with AD. Since the probs with the bp I too have been lightheaded and naseous. My temperature hasn't gone up yet that I have noticed, but I know my blood pressure has, although not enough to worry too much. Since we are both pretty much the same level and going through the same things I would definitely guess its something to do with the bp. I also figured it was probably some form of AD. Good luck with both. Unfortunately, I have no advice to offer and will be watching the advice given to you on your other post. Thanks!

C5-C7 Walking Quad

[This message was edited by TINAMARIE on 07-08-04 at 10:17 PM.]

RAB,

How high does the blood pressure have to go? I can tell that mine is going up because I start feeling funny and a little shaky, but it doesn't go up too high. It goes up after my stomach starts churnimg from trying to have a bm, but I usually just go to bed and its gone by the next morning. Is it possible his blood pressure is going up slightly and he just doesn't realize it?

C5-C7 Walking Quad

What is AD? My four year old had surgery three weeks ago and has been running low grade temps and sweating through the nights. The neurosurgeon called it a post op infection and put him on 14 days of IV antibiotics. The antibiotics changed nothing. His lipoma runs from C1 to T7. I just found this website 10 minutes ago and am already learning a ton.

For me AD is blood pressure over 300, sweating like a sprinkler and cannons going off inside my head. When you get it, you will know it, hopefully not this severe.

TMom, the scenario you describe in your child does not sound like autonomic dysreflexia. It sounds like a post-op infection where the doctors have not chosen the right antibiotic yet.

The absolute height of the blood pressure is not all that important. We don't start using drugs until the pressure is over 160/100 BUT in a person whose blood pressure runs 100/60 most of the time, if they have a blood pressure of 120/80, I start looking for something that isn't working right. So early warinings are best attended too.

RAB

The Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline on Management of Autonomic Dysreflexia states that AD should be considered as occuring when the systolic blood pressure reaches or exceeds 40 mm. Hg. over the person's usual baseline, and recommends consideration of medical treatment if the systolic blood pressure reaches or exceeds 150 mm. Hg.

(KLD)