Thread: power chair question

power chair question

As many of you know I started my new job on Monday and all is well so far. The powers that be have decided that I would be more beneficial in another portion of the plant so I will be moving offices in a week. The down side of this is that the new office is located WAY out of the means of my ZRA, way uphill and through much gravel, so my only option is to go to work in a power chair , which I havent touched in 6 years now. Anyway can someone educate me on the newest and best chairs that are on the market today? I need some quick advice!
    C5-6 - 22 years

work the ADA angle and get them to pave you a primo parking space.

I agree. You need to press for a parking area close to your new office as a reasonable accomodation. This may mean giving you sole access to an area generally not accessible to other employees. You have to ask for the accomodation, and they will have to jump through a lot of hoops if they try to deny this to you (and if they do, you should be talking ADA/EEO complaint).

(KLD)

I don't know how long your working for the plant. If you have been working the say a few years, you can go up to the upper management and tell them in a nice way the obstabales that is arising with your transfer or move to anouther part of the complex.
    If your a good worker no complaints such as everytime something that you don't like you yell discrimination or threating then with law suites with the ADA and all you will be screwed big time.
    All management has to do is file blue prints saying that they intend to make the building accssiable when they remodel it, witch by law must be within the ADA guidelines. SCI nurse is right what she is saying but I would use it as a last resort.
    According to the laws of the ADA any work were as improvement to any buissness must have accessablability to doors bathrooms drinking fountains and pay phones and ramps or elevators.MEANING {NEW CONSTRUCTION} thats the good part.
    The bad part is they also can send a letter of intent to do this and have the blue prints on it and start construction in the year 2020, as long as it's filed there nothing we can do.
    I went through this a while back im SCI C-7-8 post 16 years.
    So I would be a bit nice when you talk to them and tell them the problem. Also working for a plant I wouldn't talk to many people about your going to the ADA Before you go to mgmt cause you got co-workers that are company men and they like to throw snowballs, exp to mgmt.

Guys and Girls,

I appreciate your comments but i mus be frank.Lets all wake up and live in the real world for a minute. I bet that half the people on this baord have modified their life dramitically for employment rather than barking out an ADA complaint. I would be fired before my breath hit the air. Sure its wrong and I would have a great EEOC casde, but whose gonna pay the bills until the case ends, which could be a long time, and at the end of it all, I am only guaranteed my old job back. I just need info on power chairs so that I can move ahead in my job and life and keep supporting my family...

thanks
    C5-6 - 22 years

I bought an Invacare Torque about a year and a half ago. I ran into a "known" (meaning known by everyone but me) problem about a year with my motors, they swapped them out and no problems since. Plenty of power, plenty torque.

Hope the job goes well.

quarter, look at the quickie 222se...it's what i roll in and i picked it because of its ruggedness and simplicity...it also has a manual conversion option which is very cool in the event of any probs w/the power portion of the chair (which in 2 years of insane abuse has never happened) and takes about 30 seconds to switch....it's an inexpensive but quality piece of equipment...i would think it would be perfect in a factory or warehouse setting......p.s. : i agree with you on not playing the ada game w/your job, kinda hard to pay bills when you're unemployed over a parking space..