Thread: "Florida No Hope for Patients Act"

"Florida No Hope for Patients Act"

Originally published March 7, 2007
    Charlie Crist's stem-cell dilemma
    By Bernard Siegel

Welcome to the great Florida stem-cell debate. On one side we have researchers and patients who have faith in a form of developmental biology called human embryonic stem-cell research. Scientists believe this has the most promise for the understanding, treatment and cures of many medical conditions through cell therapies.

On the other side we have research opponents, mainly from the social conservative, anti-abortion movement, who see the cells in a petri dish as “people” and the research as tantamount to murder. Woe be it to politicians who try to straddle these intractable views.

When President Bush dashed patients' hopes last July by vetoing the bill to lift funding restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research, then-gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist signaled his support for the science, saying he disagreed with the veto. But he was silent as to whether he supported Florida's funding embryonic stem-cell research.

Gov. Crist last month announced his support for a modest proposal that called for $20 million in funding for adult, amniotic-fluid cell and embryonic stem-cell research limited to the stem-cell lines approved by President Bush back in 2001.

Modest indeed, as such a measure simply duplicates federal policy and fails to meet the urgent unmet need - the funding of new embryonic cell lines. Rep. Antitere Flores, R-Miami, was reportedly drafting a bill mirroring the governor's views. The actual bill, titled “Florida Hope Offered Through Principled, Ethically Sound Stem Cell Research Act,” should be more accurately named the “Florida No Hope for Patients Act.”

The proposal kowtows completely to the most extreme opponents of research on the religious right.......

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...8/1006/OPINION

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

This is a shame. It seems like all legislation that claims to be pro "stem cell research" is cloaked in words like "ethically sound."
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    This is a shame. It seems like all legislation that claims to be pro "stem cell research" is cloaked in words like "ethically sound."
    Dan, it is always clear which is which.

I am more concerned that bad bills get names like H.O.P.E. Act etc.

I will be testifying against the FL bad bill and promoting HB 555, if republicans will let it come up for a vote.

The unfortunate situation in FL is that both the House and the Senate are 2/3 republican.

Yeah, you might wonder how a former blue state turned so red......

Fortunately we don't have that problem at the national level, and it's a shame people are still holding on to OLD stategies based on conditions as they existed pre-Nov midterm.

On the national level people are tired of the religious right.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    BTW Dan, don't let people who run this board confuse you.

A good rule of thumb is:
    Any bill that increases the ESC lines eligible for federal or state funding is a GOOD bill, unless it also stipulates the criminilization of SCNT.

The flores bill is negative on both counts:

1. it sticks with the outdated Bush limitation on ESC lines eligible for state funded research

2. it criminalizes SCNT

Quite simple.

Reject all work-around bills that do not increase the # of ESC lines eligible for federal/state funding.

Young does ASCR.