Thread: Flying to Rome: Airplane questions?

Flying to Rome: Airplane questions?

I just have a couple of questions and any advice would be greatly appreciated: My son is a c6/7 inc. 2 1/2 yrs post: How would you handle a bowel accident on an airplane? Also, is it safe to take an Imodium the moring of the flight? If so, how does that affect his bowel program the following morning? We have been lucky lately (don't want to jinx ourselves!) and have had no accidents. I'm just wondering what the heck would someone do in the event of an accident???? Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Go easy on the food a couple days prior for starters. Realistically, you'd be sitting in mess for a few hours.

on a flight to rome? try sitting in a mess for several hours. it would not be good.

only thing you could do was wear a big diaper or something that you could maybe change if someone could carry him to the bathroom.

Wow! I will start praying NOW that all goes well!! Thanks!!

If you're going to take Immodium, I'd take it a day or two before the trip. It takes a while to start working. As far as impact on your son's BP, it might slow it down a bit for a day or two.

But you have to ask yourself, and he has to ask himself, is it worth it to not have to worry on the plane? If he takes the Immodium a day or so before you get on the plane, and if he can watch his food intake a few days before, you both should be able to enjoy the flight, instead of worrying.

Best of luck, enjoy Rome!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

rdf, thanks for the input. It sounds like a good plan! Viva Italia!!!

I'd take one Immodium a day (or half a one if he is slow) for a week or two before the trip and increase veggies and water in his diet. Italian meals normally end with a large salad and if he gets too slowed down order some grilled and oiled red peppers (bell not hot) and eggplant type antipasto one day. Trust me, it works. I've flown in and out of Fiumocino several times since my SCI and lived there for a couple years pre-SCI.

Not sure how I'd totally handle an accident but my backpack that I take on as carry on always has a rolled up pair of easy fit jeans in it. I also keep wet ones in seperate one use packs (for before meals) and at least one plastic garbage bag (more of those and chucks are in our medical bag the spouse carries. With extra blankets and some cover help from the stewards I think you could clean him up ok enough to not kill off fellow passengers. And I am a firm believer in economy business class if you find it for overseas flights.

Oh, don't drink the beer. That can toss of anyone's schedule. This time of year you luck out and can get "puntarelli". A great green veggie they make wonderful salads out of..drool. And Thursday is lamb kill day so don't eat lamb on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and no fish on Mondays. DO NOT eat any seafood in Naples if you go south. The Bay of Naples is a polluted mess and I had 3 cases of samanella cholera or vibrio cholera from eating cooked clams and mussels. I had a healthy immune system and never had problems in Rome or elsewhere but Naples sewer system is ancient.. Oh, and should you run out of any meds pharmacists can prescribe for you. This came in real handy during the food poisoning problems. Just go to a Farmacia. Most will speak English in the downtown area. I actually heard Americans trying to fill scripts on the Via Condotti because meds are cheaper there.

Mainly, watch your wallet and bags and enjoy yourself. Italy is wonderful!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.