Thread: cost of nursing home care?

cost of nursing home care?

Just wondering if anyone could tell me the cost for a quad. living in a nursing home. I live in a state which would rather throw you in a nursing home rather than pay a decent wage for you to hire your own p.c.a., instead they put the burden on family members. Well I've got some people from AFSCME coming by tomorrow, they're trying to get better pay for caregivers in this pitiful state and I'm just trying to get some ammunition for them.

I'm from Iowa too and know what you mean. I'm full quad and I live in the Iowa Veterans Home. It costs me $4800 a month. It's OK if you're 80 not 44. Where are you and are you a vet?

I'm from Polk City, no I'm not a vet but my grandfather is and he lives there in the vets home. I'd say it's much better than most nursing homes.

It is very good for old people but they don't do anything for young people. I thought they would.. My wife and I are going to open a small group home in Cedar Rapids. I'm from Marion

A lot depends upon where you live, and if this is Medicaid or Medicare rates or purely private pay rates. State or VA nursing homes are partially subsidized or contracted, so usually have lower rates.

I have never seen a case where homecare could not be provided at a cheaper rate than nursing home care. You must also add to these costs the inevitable preventable complications (contractures, pressure ulcers, UTIs and wound infections from resistant organisms transmitted patient to patient) that occur in nursing homes, often requiring hospitalization (and not reflected in the nursing home expenses) that do not occur in those who live in their own homes.

The AFSCME people need to look into results of the Omstead Supreme Court ruling:

http://newmobility.com/ubbcgi/ultima...c;f=2;t=000282

http://newmobility.com/ubbcgi/ultima...c;f=2;t=000617

Unfortunately the Iowa Veterans Home is not subsidized and is not cheaper than some nursing homes. At least not for me. And you're right, I'm always getting sick from these people.