Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I must be going more insane

I have NOT been tested for toxcity of any sort. I have never done recreational drugs at all, although I did work (right before this, concidentally RIGHT before, literally) as an apprentice costume designer. I lived and worked in the same place (long story) and was exposed to (and slept/worked/ate/lived in) the dust created from fabrics, mainly spandexes and lycras. There was a lot of spray adhesive glues used as well. Could something from that have poisoned me?

I left there right after the gym accident and came home to Georgia/Alabama, except right after I got here, I got really ill. I had a flu worse than any flu I've ever had before, or since. It was extremely nasty.

I've been tested for Lyme, the tests came back negative, although my bloodowork has always shown an unusually high sedimentation rate (I'd have to pull out the paperwork to tell you which one exactly was used, but I believe it was Westergren?)

I know very little about Epstein Barr or West Nile - about 6 years ago I was in Louisana visiting friends during one of those outbreaks and I did get sick - and was in bed coughing and more or less out of it for about 3 days,a nd then I was fine. I have gotten bronchitis a lot in the last three years, but again never thought it might be related. My GP never did either, he just loaded me up with antibiotics and sent me on my way. I should note the antibiotics weren't gluten-free and actually made me MORE ill.

I should also note that when I eat something with gluten in it, I have asthma like symptoms. The first sign to me that I've been contaminated is wheezing, running nose, and more wheezing. And did I mention wheezing?

Thanks again for all the brain processes!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette
    That'd be an excellant thing to check out - but we are full electric here, and there's no burning anythings anywhere.

I do have the gluten intolerance issue which I'll explain more in my reply below which may be exacerbating some issue.
    Ok Jeanette. It's a relief to know it isn't CO behind your health problems.
    I'm probably a bit OTT about how likely CO poisoning is, but I always worry that might be a cause when I read someone has symptoms like I had.

Some of your symptoms sound like Lupus, others like rhuematoid arthritis and the first thought I had was TM with optic neuritis. But with multiple epsiodes of weakening that would mean what is currently described as spinal MS (no brain lesions). But with the vision problems added we're back at MS.

Sounds stupid but I kept having a problem where I was always smelling electrical type burning. This was before my spinal stroke. I was trying to drop a couple pounds so I was eating lower cal snacks. Turned out it was MSG in dill pickles I was munching on. The smell would linger for hours and it never really started right after eating them. When the commissary changed brands it went away. I had to go hunting in German stores to find the old kind to test this out. Yup, pickles.

As for spray glues...hmmm. I worked at a company that manufactured and distributed all sorts of foam and the styrene peanuts. They also used spray glues but in one area and the people who worked there wore masks or respirators depending on the glue. Just being near the open drums the glue was stored in was safe where I was. I also did the OSHA reporting and those kind of chemicals/materials are supposed to be tightly controlled. The fumes from them can kill you in a fire so much faster than almost any fire could spread. That was the one rule everyone got read the riot act on when hired no matter if they worked out back or in the front offices: in case of fire immediately leave the building and THEN call 911 from the nearest car, cell or pay phone.

I'd see the MS doc again and mention your past exposure.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosing_spondylitis. What do you think Jeanette? The neuro stuff is rare but most of it fits the bill.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

That's an interesting possibility. I'll add it to my list of things to talk to the neuro about when I see him. I always was one of those kids with constant trouble. I was a dancer, so I assumed most of my trouble was from that - but I had constant sprains in my wrists, ankles, and knees. I was told once I should consider knee replacement surgery, although it seems to have more or less healed in the years since I started using a chair.

I suppose it's possible that this is all a long-awaited genetic body breakdown.

Hm.

Interesting.

If it is anklosing spondalytis in the neuro form there is a new drug in phase 3 trials with good results so far. And they can also prescribe TGF's for it. The diet connection was new to me.

It also sounds like Guillen Barre...a lot of the things you talked about (getting ill, then not being able to move, etc) sounds exactly like a kid I used to coach who had Guillien Barre. He ended up recovering...but some people do not. I am not saying this is what it is...but you do have symptoms of it.

I feel for you though...it took 5 years before they diagnosed me (Primary Lateral Sclerosis). I went through a lot of doctors telling me it could be one thing, or another, or it could not be one thing or another...or it was all in my head...or I was faking it...or psychologically wanted to be like my roommate who has been disabled since birth. It is a frustrating time...so if you need to talk or anything...I am here to listen.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss