Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snow Job on the New Jersey ESCR bill?

Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    It's a shame that there was so much publicity about NJ funding ESCR, whereas the text of the bill actually didn't specify how the funds were to be allocated and projects prioritized. A bunch of the money that was thought to be allocated for hESCR went to other permitted projects.
    Thank you Dan, that is precisely so.

CIRM explicitly says that stem cell research that the NIH doesn't fund will get HIGHEST PRIORITY, and so far that's all they've funded.

Quite the opposite is the case in New Jersey.

AND the Keck Center at Rutgers is quite the beneficiary of the extra funding for areas already covered by NIH, coming from what was mostly billed as a State ESCR bill.

Very fishy indeed.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    CIRM explicitly says that stem cell research that the NIH doesn't fund will get HIGHEST PRIORITY, and so far that's all they've funded.
    CIRM recommended funding for two grants to find new waysof deriving ESCs -- through cell fusion and cellular reprogramming -- both methods you decried as decoys.

McGreevey's 2005 budget was where funding was provided. (pdf)

Rutgers received $2.5 million to build the stem cell institute.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Here is the List of Mostly Projects already eligible for NIH funding

Thank you Dan, that is precisely so.

Quite the opposite is the case in New Jersey.

AND the Keck Center at Rutgers is quite the beneficiary of the extra funding for areas already covered by NIH, coming from what was mostly billed as a State ESCR bill.

Very fishy indeed.
    I case you want to verfy this for yourself here is the list:

They finally released some funds, low and behold most went to ADULT STEM CELL research or other than hESC

Stem Cell Grant Award Recipients
    Stem Cell Graphics
    The Commission on Science and Technology received 71 complete applications for New Jersey’s $5 million Stem Cell Research Grant program, including proposals from private life science companies as well as New Jersey’s research universities and nonprofit institutions.

The Commission voted Dec. 16 in a public meeting to award Stem Cell Research Grants to the following:

Treena Arinzeh Ph.D. New Jersey Institute of Technology $295,362
    Nanofiber Scaffold for Stem Cell Based Cartilage Repair
    To test whether stem cells can be used to repair cartilage defects with the potential for providing new tissue engineering therapies that could help cancer patients who have had tumors removed from bones, osteoporosis and other cartilage and tendon damage.

Rick Cohen Ph.D Rutgers University $299,403
    Center for Applied Training in Human Embryonic Stem Cell Biology
    To provide basic and advanced training in the field of human embryonic stem cell biology and to develop a well-trained pool of scientists in New Jersey proficient in hESC culture techniques with the goal of advancing New Jersey’s leadership in stem cell research.

Ronald Hart Ph.D.Rutgers University $275,590
    Regulation of microRNA Gene Expression in Differentiating Neural Stem Cells
    To understand and control differentiation of neural stem cells with the potential to produce specific cell types for therapeutic transplant in brain trauma, stroke, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.

Hristo Houbaviy Rutgers University $300,000
    MicroRNAs MiR-290-295 in Blastocyst-Derived Stem Cells and the Early Mouse Embryo
    To understand stem cell development and lineage determination with the goal of expanding and improving knowledge of areas of stem cell biology currently not well understood.

Ihor Lemischka Ph.D Princeton University $300,000
    Genome-Wide Functional Analysis of ES Cell fate Regulation
    To understand human embryonic stem cell decisions such as survival/death, renewal/determination and to understand how to maintain or induce specific cell fate with the goal of applying this knowledge to patient therapies.

Randall McKinnon Ph.D. UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    Gliogenic Potential of Human Placental Stem Cells
    To identify mechanisms of glial cell generation from human placental cells with the goal of identifying a potential alternative to embryonic stem cells for clinical trials. In collaboration with Celgene, a New Jersey-based biotech firm ranked sixth largest internationally.

Kateri Moore DVM Princeton University $299,970
    Interactive Mechanisms of Stem Cells and Microenvironments
    To further understand the mechanisms of stem cell self-renewal and commitment toward the purpose of developing new therapies or advancing existing therapies for use in drug development and for gene and cell therapy for immunological and other diseases.

Richard Nowakowski Ph.D. UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    Molecular Circuitry of “Stemness” in the Developing CNS
    To learn how to reprogram or teach transplanted cells how to generate the right type and number of necessary cells for cell-replacement therapies with the potential for replacing specific brain areas damaged by disease or injury.

Robert Preti Ph.D. Amorcyte, Inc. $298,200
    Bone Marrow Derived CD34 Cells for Treatment of Acute Myocardial Infarction
    To produce a cell therapy product using bone marrow-derived cells for treatment of coronary damage following a heart attack and advance the company’s federal Food and Drug Administration-approved clinical trials with the potential for new and more effective therapy for cardiac patients.

Ling Qin Ph.D. UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    PTH-Mediated AGFR Signaling in Stromal Stem Cell Growth and Multidifferentiation
    To conduct fundamental research using bone marrow stem cells with the potential to develop more effective treatments for low bone mass and similar disorders.

Monica Roth Ph.D. UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    Selective Gene Delivery to Human Hematopoietic Stem Cells
    To apply novel genetic screening approaches to stem cells with the potential of enhancing the ability to use stem cells and gene therapy in many clinical settings, including treating hematopoietic disorders and cancer.

Junichi Sadoshima M.D. Ph.D. UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School $300,000
    Mechanisms of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Differentiation
    To increase the efficiency of stem cell differentiation into cardiac myocytes by manipulating a particular signaling mechanism with the potential for developing an effective method to repair damaged heart tissues.

Biagio Saitta Ph.D. The Coriell Institute for Medical Research $300,000
    Role of Extracellular Matrix in Cord Blood Stem Cell Response to Cardiac Injury
    To use stem cells derived from umbilical cord blood to study the molecular mechanisms of stem cells in repairing damaged areas of the heart with the potential to heal damaged tissue and preserve or regain function, offering an alternative to transplants which are possible but limited by the number of donors.

Michael Shen Ph.D UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    Role of the Nodal signaling pathway in regulation of embryonic pluripotency
    To enhance fundamental understanding of basic molecular functions in mice and human stem cells with the potential for improving manipulation of ES cells in culture for use in stem cell-based therapies including possible insights into the genesis and dysregulation of cancer stem cells.

Thomas Shenk Ph.D. Princeton University $300,000
    Isolation and Characterization of Life-Extended Human Cord Blood Cells
    To produce populations of stem cells from human cord blood that can be used to study the molecular characteristics of such cells including how to modulate these growth responses in vivo and in culture with the potential to improve the clinical uses of stem cells.

Yufang Shi, DVM, Ph.D. UMDNJ-RWJMS $300,000
    Immunobiology of Mesenchymal Stem Cells
    To investigate the mechanisms underlying stem cell mediated immune tolerance and its use in treatment of autoimmune disorders with the potential to lead to new treatment for many human diseases in which the immune system attacks the body, including MS and asthma.

Jay Tischfield Ph.D Rutgers University $300,000
    Genetic and Structural Analysis of Mouse ES Cells and their Derivatives
    To study cultured ESC and confirm, monitor and regulate phenomena that would be deleterious to tissues derived from stems cells with the potential to prevent problems that could slow development of stem cell therapies.

http://www.state.nj.us/scitech/stemcell/grants/awardrecipients.html

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

I do think all of us need to be concerned that what started as legislation for state funding of embryonic stem cell research in New Jersey, because it is neglected by the NIH, is now being used primarily for adult stem cell research.

It makes one wonder how all this could have happened,......

According to Seneca, the author of the New Jersey bill is Dr. Young, who himself is an adult stem cell researcher.

Though Dr. Young may have testified in favor of ESCR, this bill ended up being an ESCR bill in name only. I guess the media as well as the public were fooled, and those waiting on cures were hurt.
    Faye,

I had originally posted a statement saying that "you don't know what you are talking about" before you posted a list of the grants. Please stop making misleading and false statements. I will post more later to explain why.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-06-2007 at 08:29 PM.

I vote that Dr. Young should not feel as though he must respond to Faye and instead spend his time doing real things, like trying to
    cure paralysis.

While I was proud of your post the other day Faye, this just makes me sad. You have potential and energy, I just wish you could possibly harness it appropriately.
    Last edited by zillazangel; 03-06-2007 at 09:21 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I am concerned by the misleading and inaccurate posts being made here by Faye. They are not only factually wrong but they misrepresent people that I know. Let me first deal with three of the most misleading and false claims made by Faye.

• Faye has repeatedly stated that I am an "ASC researcher", suggesting that I support adult stem cell research to the exclusion of embryonic stem cell research.
    - This is such a bizarre statement that I didn't know how to respond. I am a spinal cord injury researcher and I do research on all types of cell transplants, including embryonic, fetal, neonatal, and adult cells. I am on public record as strongly supporting embryonic stem cell research, have lobbied for many years for NIH funding of such research, strongly supported Proposition 71 and am a member of the Scientific and Medical Research Funding Working Group for the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine, and strongly supported the inclusion of embryonic stem cell research in the New Jersey Stem Research Act of 2004, and the recent legislation to fund the Christopher Reeve Stem Cell Research Institute of New Jersey.

• She has suggested that my group (the Keck Center) is receiving funding from New Jersey to do adult stem cell research.
    - This statement is wrong. Faye posts a list of the grants that were awarded by the state of New Jersey in 2006. Of the 17 grants awarded by the state, four were to Rutgers (my university):
    • Rick Cohen Ph.D Rutgers University $299,403
      To provide basic and advanced training in the field of human embryonic stem cell biology and to develop a well-trained pool of scientists in New Jersey proficient in hESC culture techniques with the goal of advancing New Jersey’s leadership in stem cell research.
    • Ronald Hart Ph.D.Rutgers University $275,590
      To understand and control differentiation of neural stem cells with the potential to produce specific cell types for therapeutic transplant in brain trauma, stroke, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
    • Hristo Houbaviy Rutgers University $300,000
      MicroRNAs MiR-290-295 in Blastocyst-Derived Stem Cells and the Early Mouse Embryo
      To understand stem cell development and lineage determination with the goal of expanding and improving knowledge of areas of stem cell biology currently not well understood.
    • Jay Tischfield Ph.D Rutgers University $300,000
      To study cultured ESC and confirm, monitor and regulate phenomena that would be deleterious to tissues derived from stems cells with the potential to prevent problems that could slow development of stem cell therapies.

Please note that I am not amongst these awardees. Two of them, however, are from my Center: Rick Cohen and Ron Hart. Rick is working on human embryonic stem cells and the goal of this grant at the Keck Center is "...to provide basic and advanced training in the field of human embryonic stem cell biology and to develop a well-trained pool of scientists in New Jersey proficient in hESC culture techniques with the goal of advancing New Jersey’s leadership in stem cell research." Ron is working on neural stem cells, including those derived from human embryonic stem cells, and he is seeking to
    "To understand and control differentiation of neural stem cells with the potential to produce specific cell types for therapeutic transplant in brain trauma, stroke, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease." Hristo Houbaviy and Jay Tischfield are from the Department of Genetics at Rutgers and their proposal are both concerned with mouse embryonic stem cells.

• Faye claims that the New Jersey stem cell legislation was for embryonic stem cells only.
    - As many here have already pointed out, New Jersey's stem cell legislation was never solely for embryonic stem cells. I have been involved in the legislation from the outset, worked closely with Christopher Reeve and many advocacy groups in the writing and lobbying for the New Jersey legislation, and have worked closely with New Jersey legislative leaders and all three governors who supported the legislation (McGreevey, Codey, and Corzine). I can state categorically that the legislation was never only for embryonic stem cells. Faye is wrong. It was also never only for adult or neonatal stem cells. Both Ira Black and I have fought for including embryonic stem cells in the bill.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 03-06-2007 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel
    I vote that Dr. Young should not stoop to responding to Faye and spend his time doing real things, like trying to
    cure paralysis.

While I was proud of your post the other day Faye, this just makes me sad. You have potential and energy, I just wish you could possibly harness it appropriately.
    Zilla, I don't need your pride. I don't just have potential, I'm actually doing it.

And finally why don't you tell Dr Young to not devote so much time on Ipod, consumer electronics, favorite internet pictures, Mac and weird art on CareCure, so he can focus on the cure for paralysis.

Considering I'm concerned about the lack of ESCR in NJ after an ESCR bill was widely hailed as supplying much needed funds for ESCR, I resent your comment.

You should be pleased that someone is willing to stand up and question it.

It's not helping us much if funds are diverted to ASCR is it now.......

Young does ASCR.

Dr Young,

Please share with us what human stem cell line anyone in your university is working on.

Thanks,

Faye

PS I do not mean mouse embryonic stem cell lines.

Young does ASCR.

Dr Young,

Please share with us what human stem cell line anyone in your university is working on.

Thanks,

Faye

PS I do not mean mouse embryonic stem cell lines.
    Few scientists in New Jersey are working on human embryonic stem cells. That is why a course on human ESC is necessary and why the Keck Center is offering such a course. I am not sure about others but we currently have or are trying to acquire the best available human embryonic stem cell lines. They include the Wisconsin lines, the Harvard lines, the Technion lines from Israel, and the "Presidential" lines.

All the grant applications were investigator-initiated and judged by external reviewers from outside the state (like in California). Awards of the grants were based on scientific merit. All four grants to Rutgers involved embryonic stem cells and the two from the Keck Center involved human embryonic stem cells. There were three other grants that will study human embryonic stem cells: Ihor Lemischka (Princeton), Kateri Moore (Princeton), and Michael Shen (UMDNJ/RWJ).

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    • She has suggested that my group (the Keck Center) is receiving funding from New Jersey to do adult stem cell research.

Of the 17 grants awarded by the state, four were to Rutgers (my university):
    • Rick Cohen Ph.D Rutgers University $299,403
    • Ronald Hart Ph.D.Rutgers University $275,590
    • Hristo Houbaviy Rutgers University $300,000
    • Jay Tischfield Ph.D Rutgers University $300,000
    Please note that I am not amongst these awardees. Two of them, however, are from my Center: Rick Cohen and Ron Hart. Rick is working on human embryonic stem cells and the goal of this grant at the Keck Center is "...to provide basic and advanced training in the field of human embryonic stem cell biology and to develop a well-trained pool of scientists in New Jersey proficient in hESC culture techniques with the goal of advancing New Jersey’s leadership in stem cell research."
    This is 1.2 million dollars going to Rutgers for ASCR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    • Faye claims that the New Jersey stem cell legislation was for embryonic stem cells only.-
    Wise.
    I NEVER said that. Though it is considered an ESCR bill just like the prop 71 bill, it's intent was to fund primarily ESCR which is neglected by NIH.

CIRM is living up to this promise. BUT NJ stem cell bill is NOT.
    Last edited by Faye; 03-06-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Young does ASCR.