Thread: lazy eye

lazy eye

I'm not sure if this is the right forum seeing as how this isn't a sci related question,anyway just thought I would throw it out there.
    I visited an eye surgeon today in regards to my "lazy eye" or strabismus.
    According to the dock my problem can be corrected with a day surgery on the muscles of my right eye .
    I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar procedure and what their experiences were.

I had this surgery done many years ago when I was eighteen. Unfortunately even though the surgeon was successful in straightening the eye, I had problems in converging the image between the two eyes and was never successful in really using these eyes together. Most people that I know who have had this problem developed it when they were very young and none of them were able to use both eyes together after the surgery. I had my surgery many years ago so perhaps technology has changed and there are more success stories. I would suggest that you have your doctor give you some names of his success stories and talk with these folks. If he cannot provide you with these patients, then I suggest that you surf the net to find out how successful these operation are now.
    mike

I understood that botox was first used to correct lazy eye by injecting the stronger eye's muscle.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Mine went really well

I had it done gosh, years ago. Maybe 10 years ago? It went well. However my eyes were SERIOUSLY bloodshot for almost a month. Really gross looking.

The earlier you get it done in life, the higher the success. However I was in my early 20's and my case was severe. My doc said that he was suprised that I could see out of my bum eye and that I could even percieve depth and distance.

The only time you can tell that my eyes don't line up is when I get really tired, but other than that it's a 1000% inprovement.

Botox the eye? Ewwwww!! Then again, it was gross and weird when the doc pulled the stiches out of my eye. Ewwwwwwww!!!!!!

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Hi Guys:

Ophthalmology is what I do. Amblyopia (lazy eye) and strabismus (muscle imblanace are 2 different things. You can have amblyopia with or without strabismus. The visual system is mature at around the age of 8 years old. When you are an adult, they can correct the strabismus but in terms of making both eyes work together again (like seeing depth and stereo vision)..., the odds are against this. So in terms of cosmetic appearance... that can be done but both eyes will probably not work well together.

Just my 2 cents!

Sieg

BOTOX is haas not been found to be effective for long-standing strabismus(eye muscle weakness) cases. It is mainly used for cranial nerve palsies and other muscle problems.

I haven't had surgery as mine varies. Only if I'm totally tired does my left eye area get droopy. I'm told it's due to Horner's Syndrome.

If it were a constant droopiness, did it consistently and in the same manner, I'd go for the surgery.

Mike mentioned having the surgery and then, his eyes didn't work together. You might want to ask about that.

I see double these days and it can be very tiring. I've learned to use my brain to recognize what I'm see out of one eye or the other, but not both together. I can't always do it though. When I can't I just cover one eye or the other so I can read and study.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best, Lurch.