Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Green Tea Direct...

Green Tea Direct...

..from the source, Japan and China, in this case.

I started surfing the web for oolong and sencha sources a few weeks ago and have come to some conclusions.

Firstly, though, why oolong and sencha. Well the healthier teas are those un- or semi- fermented/oxidized.* I love a good sencha (green) but sometimes want the deeper, more layered flavors and fragrances associated with an oolong (semifermented).

"Cha", by the way, is simply "tea" in Japan, where sencha is what is drank by all natives on a daily basis; if you entered a Japanese tea shop or house and asked for tea, that is what you would be served. Of course there are different grades of sencha as there are of any sale item you can think of and that's where the benefits of getting your sencha tea (redundant, I know) direct from the source comes in.

While surfing the Internet for the best quality and pricing for sencha it quickly became apparent that quite a few Japanese tea merchants (sencha is available mainly from China and Japan) were taking advantage of the WWW to offer their product direct from the source, thus offering something of an assurance of freshness and a price break by eliminating a number of "middle men". International shipping costs on a low weight item like tea are low, typically in the range of six to seven dollars U.S. on the average tea order and shipping times are about a week to your door.

About two weeks ago I ordered two grades of sencha from Shizokoatea.com http://www.shizuokatea.com/index.htm, and it came six days later. Shizokoa, like most such Internet dealing Japanese tea companies, offers a "no shipping charge" deal for orders over thirty dollars. I'd ordered 100 grams of a Premium Sencha and fifty of Excellent Sencha. Both brewed into great teas but the Excellent Sencha, described by them as "..simply the best tasting tea we've ever tested." is out of this world.

Yesterday I found another Japan based merchant who's hook I found intriuging. They are located on a farm that is right in the middle of the best sencha growing region. Their shipping break is at the thirty-five dollar point and I ordered 200 grams of their Sencha Superior and forty of Sencha Fukamushi Super Premium, about which the grower/processor/dealer says:

Our Sencha Fukamushi Super Premium’s tea leaves are Saemidori Breed. Though the Saemidori Breed has a noble sweet taste that is called ‘Natural Gyokuro’, it is rarely grown because it is a rare breed which is difficult to grow and requires high-maintenance.

These Saemidori Breed tea leaves are picked when younger,** and finished with Fukamushi in order to bring out its unique features, so that our Sencha Fukamushi Super Premium has a noble and mellow sweet taste, much like Gyokuro, and a refreshing aroma that unlike Gyokuro, is a feature of Sencha.
    The "Fukamushi" refers to the processing of the picked tea; it is deep steamed longer than ordinary sencha.

Here's the site URL: http://www.hibiki-an.com/readings/about-us.html

I'm posting this now and will be adding content about oolongs soon.

* Green teas are the healthiest and are produced by subjecting the partially dried tea leaf to heat by pan frying or steaming. Oolong teas are partially fermented - the withered leaf is bruised to expose the juices to the air and promote oxidation/fermentation, just as is the case with black teas, only the fermentation process is interupted at thirty to eighty percent oxidation whereas with black teas the leaf is allowed to continue fermentation until finished, then heated, graded, etc.

**Actually, what they are saying here is that each leaf sprout in the tea tree has only produced three leaves when the pickers painstakingly remove only these rudimentary, delicate leaves to be made into the finest sencha. Sencha tea accounts for 80% of the tea produced and consumed in Japan, where only green teas are produced although the bush/tree produces a leaf that could be processed into oolongs or black teas if the indicated processes were applied.

Here's about the lamest video clip Cick here Tea Farm Video of a tea farm in Japan; don't worry, it's only two minutes, but then again you can never get them back.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-06-2007 at 03:31 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Man, Juke

You would love my dad. We drink lots of tea around here. Can't say I know much about it myself but here is a link to his site.

http://www.gshaly.com/splash.html

Let me know if you're ever down in the San Francisco area. You could pick his brain a little. Everyone always leaves with some good Tea to.

Lightbulb Teas direct from China

Here's a link to a page from the website of a Yunnan, China based Internet green/black/pu-erh tea wholesaler/retailer. This company requires you to email them with your purchase requests for a minimum of 500 grams and they will send you a total for your order based on quantity, your location and selected mode of shipping:

http://www.pu-erhtea.com/index.htm and click Yunnan Green Tea

The descriptions alone are worth the trip.

Example:

Girl Ring: Unopened tea buds are picked in early Spring and hand-rolled by young girls to produce this Yunnan distinctive green tea. After infusing 3 times its unique aroma still remains.
    Enjoy it yourself or offer it as a special gift to your friends.

T
    o test the system I just sent off a request for pricing w delivery for:

1. Mao Feng Item: AV67 - 1150 / 500g
    2. Black Needle AV62 - 2290 / 500g
    3. Silver Needle AV66 - 2450 / 500g

..all green teas. The quantities of these teas secured from most suppliers would indicate a price in the range of about a hundred dollars but that is a very rough estimate and quality is such a variable that it is hard to predict what the price should be.

Mr Zhang Jinkun sent this email message this morning:

Your order:
    1) Mao Feng 11.50 / 500g
    2) Black Needle $21.90 / 350g
    3) Silver Needle $24.50 / 500g
    =================================
    Subtotal: $57.90
    Shipping cost by SAL: + $15
    ===================================
    Total Price: US$72.90
    As you can see, he adjusted the weight of the Black Needle down from 500g to 350g while only dropping the price a buck (from $22.90 to $21.90), suspicious? Not really; the availability and prices of tea can fluctuate rapidly and this tea goes for sixty dollars a pound on Amazon so is still a big bargain the the quoted price.

At any rate this was mearly a test and I've no intention of placing this order. I also sent a query about a pu-erh tea they do not list, asking if they had anything similar and, if so, for pricing. We'll see.***

Here's a Yunna, China located company dealing solely in Puerh tea:

http://www.tuochatea.com/index.htm

Puerh is a very special tea made from the large leaves of trees that are anywhere from old to ancient. The tea is aged in a cool, dry place and becomes more flavorful and precious as it ages. Puerh tea cakes over fifty years old are being sold, traded and drank. A short while ago a kilo cake of a prized aged Puerh tea went for forty thousand dollars at auction. It is highly caffinated and is the only tea that will produce as hearty a cup of beverage as coffee does. I have an order en route from this company for a new cake of puerh, a kilo of a very strong, pungent, musty puerh leaf and a five year age cake.

Here's a description of the origins and brewing reccommendations for the loose puerh that I ordered a kilo of:
    Pu-erh Cha Tou

Cha Tou is a unique Pu-erh. In order to convert sun-dried green tea into ripened Pu-erh tea, a technique called "wodui" processing method is adopted (mixing the pile to ensure fermentation). At the end of the fermentation process, the tea is converted into a wind-blowing appearance. Pu-erh Cha Tou is found near the bottom of the pile of Pu-erh and is formed as a result of heat and relatively high compression, it is a type of Pu-erh tea nugget.

PREPARATION: To prepare Pu-erh Cha Tou, place about 2 tsp. of tea per serving in a teapot. Rinse by covering with boiling water and quickly pour off. Fill with boiling water again and let steep 1-5 minutes (depending on how light or dark you want the tea) and serve.
    ***Here's the latest emails from Zhang Jinkun:
    Dear Mr. Steven _______,

Please view the attached for our current tea prices, which exclude shipping cost.

There are 3 shipping methods for your to choose:

First 500g
    Each additional 500g
    Delivery
    Air
    1st 500 grams $12.50
    Each additional 500 g $7.50
    2 weeks

SAL
    1st 500 grams $7
    Each additional 500 g $4
    3 – 5 weeks

Surface
    1st 500 grams $4.50
    Each additional 500 g $2.30
    7 – 8 weeks

Just let us know the items and quantity you need, as well as the shipping method you'd like to use, we will confirm the total price for you.

Sincerely yours,

Zhang Jinkun
    www.Pu-erhTea.com
    Awazon Tea

----- Original Message -----
    To: Zhang Jinkun
    Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:54 PM
    Subject: Re: Tea Order

Zhang Jinkun;

I'm addressing this to you although I sent a separate email query to your company website and have not heard back yet.

Do you have or offer any aged puerh in cake, brick or loose form? I found only 2006 harvest cakes listed.****

Thank you,

----- Original Message ----
    To:
    Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 6:18:17 AM
    Subject: Tea Order

DIV { MARGIN:0px;} Dear Mr. Steven _______,

Your order:
    1) Mao Feng 11.50 / 500g
    2) Black Needle $21.90 / 350g
    3) Silver Needle $24.50 / 500g
    =================================
    Subtotal: $57.90
    Shipping cost by SAL: + $15
    ===================================
    Total Price: US$72.90

We normally send orders by SAL, which takes about 3- 5 weeks for delivery (To Ca. need 3 weeks). If you choose shipping your order by air, it will take 2 weeks for delivery, but shipping cost is higher; If you choose shipping your order by Surface, it will take 7-8 weeks for delivery, of course, the shipping cost will be economical.

I'll keep this post updated with developments re above.

****Although I failed to copy that email, Mr Jinkun replied to my question to the effect that his company does not have any comperable aged puerh cakes.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-08-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added Content
    J.B.S.Haldane

i heard white tea has more antioxidents and makes metabolism speed up more. anyone else hear something similar?

Thumbs up

Juke,

You are hardcore about your caffeinated beverages...

I dig that about you!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyCrip
    Juke,

You are hardcore about your caffeinated beverages...

I dig that about you!
    Thanks, Cowboy.

I see/use tea as a break from the true hardcore caffine drink that coffee, the way I brew it, is. When I've been binging my coffee at a strength that will stand the spoon for a couple of weeks it makes sense to me to go on a mellower green and oolong tea period for 5 days to a few weeks. It allows my senses of taste and smell to recuperate and the quality teas I steep are great in their own right.

I'm looking for a good oolong right now. I've spent over sixty bucks and tried eight oolongs w/o finding anything that impresses. I'm waiting on a pricey, exotic oolong that might fill the bill right now:

Oolong Tea: Coconut Pouchong SEND THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND CUSTOMER RATING: 4/5
    Description:
    This South Pacific delicacy is composed of long, green leaves of rare elegance that produce a serene, light tea. The subtle nectar of young coconut instills a tropical sweetness in this exquisite bouquet. Because of its simple sweetness, this loose leaf tea is delicious hot or iced.

2 oz Tin - 25 Servings - 0.63¢ per cup $15.99

At sixteen bucks for two ounces it should be good.*

* But it wasn't.http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...50&postcount=9

Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-12-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by jb
    i heard white tea has more antioxidents and makes metabolism speed up more. anyone else hear something similar?
    I'm not up on your questions, jb, but here's a link to a quality tea merchant's offerings:

http://sevencups.com/tea_shop/catalog/White-Tea-price0-p-1-c-282.html

http://sevencups.com/tea_shop/catalo...p-2-c-282.html

Here's some from the Silver Tips tea shop in Tarrytown, New York:

http://www.silvertipstea.com/fusione...rowse/China-3/

& http://www.silvertipstea.com/fusione...rowse/India-2/

function goback() { history.go(-1); } Home > Teas > White Tea > India >

Organic Makaibari Estate Bai Mu Dan - Fair Trade Certified

Product Details:

A light, refreshing Darjeeling white with none of the smokiness associated with a China white. This is the most recent addition to the Makaibari family of teas, Certified Organic and Fair Trade.

Availability:
    Usually ships in 24 hours
    Additional Details:

Origin: India
    Type: White
    Qty
    Description
    SKU
    Our Price

Organic Makaibari Estate Bai Mu Dan - Fair Trade Certified - 2 oz.
    3201-2
    $5.00

Organic Makaibari Estate Bai Mu Dan - Fair Trade Certified - 4 oz.
    3201-4
    $9.70
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-12-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

let us know how that coconut oolong is

Update on tea/site & a new oolong

Sorry, but most of this post was lost durring the period on 3/13/07 when CC was blocking our ability to post and interupting our edit function.

The badGrown in Anxi, Zhejiang Province, China.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 03-14-2007 at 11:00 AM.
    J.B.S.Haldane

i buy from this company

http://www.tenren.com/index.html

i think i usually get the jasmine pearls.