Thread: Suprapubic Cath ?'s / Procedure / Bodyjacket

Question Suprapubic Cath ?'s / Procedure / Bodyjacket

I need to have a suprapubic catheter put in & I've got three questions regarding it:

#1 - Please explain how the procedure is usually done. From what I've researched I thought it was just a matter of (to make it simple) poking a hole into the bladder & inserting the catheter. My urologist is talking about making a 2"-3" incision though, because "He doesn't like to struggle." This sounded a little much to me... Please let me know if that's common.

#2 - I wear a body jacket (TLSO) to help me sit up straight & also to put pressure on my diaphragm to help with my breathing. I'm going to have to have it cut out for the catheter I'm just wondering if the cutout is going to affect the catheter or the stoma as the jacket will be putting pressure all around it.

#3 - I have to wear a binder & Backbrace when I sit up for my bowel program to put pressure on my diaphragm to help with my breathing. Will I be able to wear this with a suprapubic catheter?

See pics, the cut-out on pic BodyJacket_2 is a crude guess on my part of what it will be like.

BodyJacket_1 - Pic of my BodyJacket

BodyJacket_2 - Pic of BodyJacket cutout (Crude guess)

Binder - Pic of me wearing the Binder & Backbrace

DBassman,

I've had a S/P for about 20 years, I believe my incision was about 1.5" - 2". It will close to the diameter of your catheter with scaring around it . 3" sounds excessive.

Your binder should not be a problem. I ware a heavy duty corset type binder made by Camp that has hooks and snaps up the front and straps on the side to tighten. I just leave the bottom snap unfastened. Even if I don't it seems to flow ok.

Your turtleshell maybe a problem at the point above your thigh were catheter will come out from your shell and run down your outer leg. It depends on how snug it is a that point, it could pinch the catheter.

I believe you will find the incision will be lower than you diagrammed. It will be just above your pubic bone.

FYI I use a 2.5" by 3" Band Aid around the catheter. I have a "Y" shape cut into it so that the "V" portion of the "Y" is centered on the Band Aid. The "V" shape fits nicely around the catheter and catches any drainage.

Hope this helps.

PS I'd nix the turtleshell and try a Camp brand corset. It serves the same function, but it's a little more forgiving. It helps in sitting up straight and breathing. I remove the metal stays and the cloth that encloses them from the back to reduce pressure areas.

NWC4's advice is good advice. Good luck!
    CKF

Corset vs. Hard bodyjacket

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4
    PS I'd nix the turtleshell and try a Camp brand corset. It serves the same function, but it's a little more forgiving. It helps in sitting up straight and breathing. I remove the metal stays and the cloth that encloses them from the back to reduce pressure areas.
    Thanks for the info NWC4... I looked at the Camp corsets & don't think it would work for me as I need more stability... I just have partial use of my right arm & would fall over when I lifted my arm if not for my "turtle shell" bodyjackt & chest belt to help hold me up straight. I still lean to the right more than I'd like to as it is. Appreciate the info though!

dbassman,

Have you considered putting lateral supports for your chair? I use them a few inches below my armpits and they work great for stability. Mine are curved toward the front to fit around my ribs. I'm C3-4 and only have to wear a chest belt while in my van or when it rough terrain. Consider them if you haven't tried them. They swing around the back of the chair so are out of the wayr for transfers.

Yes, I have a lateral support on the right side under my arm pit. But by being a C4/5 & using my right arm for 20+ years now (which I could do the 1st 5-8years), I still lean more than I like and my right shoulder has drooped also which makes me feel like I'm leaning more too. You can see by these two pics of me... Especially the one from the back:

Leaning from Back

Leaning from Front

If needed, even your TLSO and corset can be modified with cut-outs to be sure there is no pressure on your SP catheter. We do this with colostomy bags all the time.

A good modified maternity corset with stays may work better for your than a TLSO. Have you looked at one? Your orthotist should be able to help with this. Have you tried using a Jewett brace instead of a Kydex clamshell?

(KLD)