Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gel cushion advice needed

gel cushion advice needed

Hi all,

Any suggestions for a gel shower cushion?

I have a bony butt and fragile skin, in my fourth decade of SCI.

I have been trying the suggestions in my shower cushion thread and have not hit upon a practical solution yet.

My medical supplier suggested a gel cushion. This will be for the shower bench to it does not need to be light-weight or suitable for all day use. Just about an hour a day since I do my colostomy irrigation in there and my ensolite closed cell foam pool float cushion is too firm.

I am going in for pressure mapping for my chair cushion and could try a gel cushion for the shower at the same time.

Thanks all!

Why not just use a regular Roho cushion without the seat cover? It's air inflated and made of rubber so water wouldn't hurt it and you can clean it off. I think an hour on a gel type cushion with a boney butt is too much time.....at least it would be for me. Just my opinion.

Hi Smokey,

By the time I get it inflated to where my right IT bone can't bottom out or go between the cells, it is hard to balance on. I have a ROHO in my chair but have armrests, etc. for stability. Also, the cover, wheelchair back and sides seem to keep the ROHO from "spreading out", like it tries to in the shower.

What do you use on hard surfaces?

Greta, I have a roll-in shower so I use a E&J shower/commode chair that has a hole in the padded seat of course. However, I had the medical supplier cut the hole a little bigger so my IT's would "hang down" through the hole and not sit directly on the padded surface. I transfer on it with an Ultraslick sliding board with a chux on it to reduce any friction. I spend about 45 minutes on it taking a crap and another 15 minutes showering and drying off. I only get slightly pink on the outsides of my cheeks and the "ishkies" are in tact. Also, I try to be very careful because I am boney-assed guy and had my butt sewn up twice in 1982.

You might want to consider a Bye-Bye Decubiti cushion for the shower.

(KLD)

Wouldn't someone who leans to one side--scoliosis--and is very bony, bottom out easily on a Bye Bye unluss it was overfilled?

I considered a commode top that would let my IT's hang down, but too much time, over many years on such a seat is why I had to have the colostomy. Bowel care was taking so long that the padded seat contact areas were getting welts no matter how many lifts and shifts I did. (My hemorroids were getting really bad as well.)

Please keep sending ideas and advice.

the big foamy cushions you can get at lowe's or home depot for squatting on to do gardening works well too. you can get some pretty soft ones that you can get velcro and be able to attach it to your shower bench so it doesnt scoot around. they come in a small size and a large size that is big enought to sit on. good luck...

Josh Stevens
    T6 para as of 7/17/03

Hi Josh,

How thick are these cushions?

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

You might want to consider a Bye-Bye Decubiti cushion for the shower.

(KLD)
    Wouldn't someone who leans to one side--scoliosis--and is very bony, bottom out easily on a Bye Bye unless it was overfilled?

There are also roho pads that work well on shower chairs.

RAB