Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Working2Walk 2007?

  1. #1

    Working2Walk 2007?

    Just booked rooms at Washington Plaza and I'm really looking forward to this year's W2W Symposium/Rally. I am just wondering--what are we advocating for this year? Last year we made a push for CRPA and to a certain extent, the SCREA of 2005 HR 810.

    I'm a newbie with all this political stuff, but I don't even see CRPA on the table this year. Why hasn't it been introduced in 110th Congress? Where are we with SCREA of 2007, HR 3?
    Daniel

  2. #2
    Sigh. LOL, election years suck. Everything is so undecided in DC!

    CRPA IS back on the table, with another name. It was introduced by Gus Bilirakis, the son of the Representative who introduced it in the House last time. (He won his father's seat.)

    BUT.

    He introduced it with a LONGGGG name, same text, and no co-sponsors. I'm not sure this will be what is on the table when we get there. It may be introduced again with bipartisan cosponsors. I don't really know how all this works so I don't know the procedure or all the reasons. It is to the point where I roll my eyes and say "Ugh. Washington."

    Anyway, I think we will be rallying for the CRPA. Under what name, who knows?

    And I can only guess what the status of SCREA will be by then. My guess-it will be deadlocked because they can't overturn a Presidential veto in the House. I predict it will stay that way until we get a President that sees the light on that issue. I don't see a hope of overturning the veto.

    Unless Faye gets her way and Bush is impeached. I'm not holding my breath on that one.

    I'm no political analyst, as you know. These are the developments as I see them, and that's all.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    He introduced it with a LONGGGG name, same text, and no co-sponsors. I'm not sure this will be what is on the table when we get there. It may be introduced again with bipartisan cosponsors. I don't really know how all this works so I don't know the procedure or all the reasons. It is to the point where I roll my eyes and say "Ugh. Washington."
    H.R.446 Christopher and Dana Reeve Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis Act (Introduced in House)

    OK. So now we know what the legislation number is we can track how our representatives stand on this issue.

    Currently 7 co-sponsors. Anyone have any insights on what will happen with this bill?
    Daniel

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Sigh. LOL, election years suck. Everything is so undecided in DC!

    And I can only guess what the status of SCREA will be by then. My guess-it will be deadlocked because they can't overturn a Presidential veto in the House. I predict it will stay that way until we get a President that sees the light on that issue. I don't see a hope of overturning the veto.
    We have enough votes in the Senate, though, right? I guess things seem pretty impossible to get enough votes in the House to overturn the possible presidential veto. That is discouraging.
    Daniel

  5. #5
    My count says we're short at least 1 in the Senate. I've seen analyses going both ways, it is really close.

    The veto is really discouraging, amen to that. It sucks.

    I hope cubsfandc chimes in on this CRPA discussion. I'd like his input.

  6. #6
    Please, just be patient, everyone. There will be good legislation to lobby for--hopefully, SCREA will pass by then, but $$ will be needed to fund hESC, so, there is that piece that will be there. There is a lot happening with CRPA besides the Bilarakis sponsored bill introduced in January--stay tuned for updates, I am sure they will be announced soon. There are a few other "asks" in the queue that people can lobby for if they choose. There is still plenty of time before W2W rally day to finalize the legislative agenda--things change often day by day and week to week in Washington.

    In the meantime--we know SCREA is on the current radar with, hopefully, a vote in the Senate soon. If you support SCREA--please, ASAP, contact your states elected officials and tell them SCREA needs to pass and why. Ask your family, friends, and other supporters to do so, also. If we don't try, we've already lost.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M
    In the meantime--we know SCREA is on the current radar with, hopefully, a vote in the Senate soon. If you support SCREA--please, ASAP, contact your states elected officials and tell them SCREA needs to pass and why. Ask your family, friends, and other supporters to do so, also. If we don't try, we've already lost.
    Thanks, Susan M. I absolutely agree!
    Daniel

  8. #8
    Senior Member SlomoScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    South Jersey USA
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_nc
    H.R.446 Christopher and Dana Reeve Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis Act (Introduced in House)

    OK. So now we know what the legislation number is we can track how our representatives stand on this issue.

    Currently 7 co-sponsors. Anyone have any insights on what will happen with this bill?
    In the past, Dan, the CRPA has remained locked in committee. It has never been the floor to be voted on (to my knowledge). This year may prove to be different with the new leadership. The committee chair puts the bill up for vote, if it paasses it can move to the House where it may wind up being attached with other legislation. IMO we have a better chance to pass HR446 this congress than in the previous 3 sessions.
    Make sure you contact not only your Congressman/woman, but ALL of them in your state. You may not be a constituant of theirs, but it doesn't hurt to get the word out!!
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.

  9. #9

    109th Congress

    Last year in the lame duck session, it made it out of committee and passed in the House. At the last moment, it was held up by an annonymous Senator. We were stunned to even get on the agenda in the lame duck session. The visit to the Hill as well as the national call in day made a difference.

    This year looks more promising.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

  10. #10
    Betheny cub said he expects CRPA to pass in the House by the end of April Good thread.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Similar Threads

  1. stupid vista/ms office question?
    By AKC in forum Computers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM
  2. 2007 Huntsman Cup
    By carl in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 11:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •