Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Best Choices for teen cars"

"Best Choices for teen cars"

I see an article on MSN this afternoon, best choices for "Teen" cars.

You want to know what I think? I didn't drive when I was a teen. I rode a bicycle 2 miles back and fourth to school. In college, I walked a mile in the snow in MInnesota to get to class, or to go for a beer.

Unless teens can establish that they have a job, and therefore have a need to drive...they shouldn't be allowed. And if they are caught driving, they should have to do community service...heavy construction..or something.

Of course being in a rural area a set of wheels is almost a necessity .... no busses and everything is so dang far away .... but after having guided 3 teens through the early stages of drivingdom with one more in the wings .. I would vote for this now !!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted

You want to know what I think? I didn't drive when I was a teen. I rode a bicycle 2 miles back and fourth to school. In college, I walked a mile in the snow in MInnesota to get to class, or to go for a beer.

Unless teens can establish that they have a job, and therefore have a need to drive...they shouldn't be allowed. And if they are caught driving, they should have to do community service...heavy construction..or something.
    I think that the driving age should be put at 18, not 16. I haven't
    met a 16 year old yet who is responsible enough to drive and i'm
    tired of seeing an 80's buick with 10 of them inside doing 100
    miles an hour on the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted

Yeah, we all walked in the snow. And we were barefoot, and the way back was twice as long as the way out, and it was uphill in both directions...
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I agree Buck .... we have a new graduated licensing system here on the prairies now so poor Laure-Jane will not be a full fledged driver 'til she's 18 (as you suggested) .... curfews and limitations to the number of passengers after midnight ... Martha would say its a good thing!

Obieone
    Course Martha's a jail bird ......
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    I think that the driving age should be put at 18, not 16. I haven't
    met a 16 year old yet who is responsible enough to drive and i'm
    tired of seeing an 80's buick with 10 of them inside doing 100
    miles an hour on the freeway.
    This is exactly what I say everytime I see a teen crash on the news. It seems like every other day.

Poor Jake.. you said it FO..

i started driving when I was 11. Gotta love being a farm kid and needing someone to drive the hay equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 2jazzyjeff
    This is exactly what I say everytime I see a teen crash on the news. It seems like every other day.

Poor Jake.. you said it FO..
    I agree that 16 and 17 year old people, on average, are prone to overestimate their driving abilities. Everything is cool until the unexpected happens, and the less experience one has the more that is unanticipated. And the fewer skills one has in meeting the unexpected challenge.

Restricted licenses for very young drivers are a good idea.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

So I take it the media frenzy on teen drivers is nationwide, eh? Those pesky whippersnappers, I like others walked uphill both ways where ever I went when I was those punk's ages. I gotta say, it must suck being a teen now, with all these new rules and regs.

But then again...I totaled my dad's car at 16 (which then made me really get going on finishing that car with the hot-rod motor that I was building since I was 15). Of course that car got into maybe 10 accidents intentional or otherwise, with one DUI style one with 6 people in the car (sound familiar), no-one got hurt, good thing 70's cars were such tanks. Really good the other guy was drunk too and being this happened in the Chicago city limits, the cops had better things to do. Hmmm, maybe some of these new laws might have some benefit? But I tend to think teens will be teens no matter what...I did lots of stuff I wasnt supposed to be doing.

Jake,

Was it uphill both ways?

Smooches, Ami
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager