Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: When in DC: Save the Babies by advocating ESCR to your Legislators

Steven,

We really don't know what's going on behind closed doors. I am actually frightened by what may be happening. What if the cure is really being stopped by ASC? I just don't see the same promise in them like I do for ESC.

I know that the W2W has nothing to do with the SCREA and that is sole purpose is quality of life and infrastructure for SCI clinical trials but what if it does get passed and we are all scratching our heads that no curative therapies have emerged because they are still playing with Fischer Price toys????

This injury is for the big boys. ESC. not the bullies. ASC.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards

BTW, Representative Micah will tell others who oppose the SCREA that you found S 362 an acceptable alternative, and that will spread. Your spark may set the wildfire that kills the SCREA.
    Funny how you bring up uber-advocate Don Reed. It was at his behest that I wrote the DailyKos entry weeks before I met with Mica.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    Well, thank you, you prove my point. Corzine got elected BECAUSE he supported ESCR. New Jersey STRONGLY supports ESCR!!!
    No I didn't. I clearly DISPROVED your points that:

1. The NJ bill was originally an ESCR bill and Wise somehow changed it.

WRONG.

The NJ Stem Cell Research Act seeks funding for both ESCR AND ASCR. It always has.

2. Wise is an ASC researcher.

WRONG.

Wise wrote ESCR into that bill so that ESCR could be funded in the state of New Jersey.

If he was an ASC researcher, why would he author a bill seeking ESC funding?

New Jersey IS a BLUE STATE just like CA.
    As Steven already pointed out, the California bill ALSO includes funding for ASCR. NEITHER BILL EXCLUDES ASC!

The reason we have ESCR bills is because it's not funded by the Bush administration.
    They are not ESCR bills Faye so stop calling them that. They are general stem cell research bills.

The REASON ASCR was authored into a NJ ESCR bill, WAS because Dr. Young prefers ASCR funding!!!!
    The REASON ESCR was authored into the bill is because Dr. Young supports ESCR funding. DR. YOUNG IS THE PERSON WHO ADDED ESCR INTO THE BILL HELLO!!!!

Stop lying Faye!

C'mon, try to sell me another one.......

Clearly NJ wanted an ESCR bill just like dozens of other states, so they started crafting an ESCR bill, just like dozens of other states, because HELLO ASCR is already funded 20 to 1 by the NIH,...........DUH!!

But then the Bait and Switch happened behind the scenes and the mainstream media continued to bill it as an ESCR bill, because it had been started as an ESCR bill,........ little did they know that unlike in CA the funding in this ESCR bill was going largely to ASCR.

Dr. Young has not EVER worked with hESC in his lab.

Oh sure he may have worked on mouse ESC's, but other SCI scientists work on REAL ESC's: the human kind, hESC.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Young does ASCR.

Antiquity,

Just outta curiosity how do you know all this? I just got off the phone with someone who said every speech he ever went too that he clearly heard Dr. Young speak of ESCR.

Now there is a story on one side of the spectrum that Dr. Young is not supporting ESCR behind closed doors and shooting it down ( oy vey) and another story that Dr. Young in fact is pushing ESCR.

What is the truth and where is the proof? This is not a joke anymore because ESC are going to cure us. I know this. Technology will get is up first but still!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

These allegations may or may not be right but it certainly raises a RED FLAG.

I am in the dark and beside myself. Maybe more investigation sheriff?

Who do we trust and what road do we go down? This is too much. I am a hESCR supporter and damn proud of it.
    Last edited by spidergirl; 03-04-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    Antiquity,

Just outta curiosity how do you know all this? I just got off the phone
    These allegations may or may not be right but it certainly raises a RED FLAG.

I am in the dark and beside myself. Maybe more investigation sheriff?
    Spider, bottom line is that the NJ bill funds primarily ASCR.

Even their ESCR training course is taught by an ASCR researcher Dr Cohen from the Keck Center, whose main interest is multipotent stem cells rather than ESC's.

I cannot determine if he's even ever worked on hESC's himself........

Young does ASCR.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl

I know that the W2W has nothing to do with the SCREA and that is sole purpose is quality of life and infrastructure for SCI clinical trials but what if it does get passed and we are all scratching our heads that no curative therapies have emerged because they are still playing with Fischer Price toys????
    Spider, it's sad that you fancy yourself an emerging advocate but haven't taken the time the read any of the SCI legislation yourself.

The CRPA bill will require that the NIH fund SCI research. THE CRPA BILL WILL FORCE THE GOVERNMENT TO FUND CURE RESEARCH.

*Title I Paralysis Research
    Expands research on paralysis at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This centers on encouraging collaborative research – connecting scientists doing similar work to enhance understanding and speed discovery of better treatments and therapies.
    Where do you get that the W2W rallies have nothing to do with curative research. You obviously haven't even read the bill. To state that it's only for QOL and a trials network is patently false and misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    The CRPA bill will require that the NIH fund SCI research. THE CRPA BILL WILL FORCE THE GOVERNMENT TO FUND CURE RESEARCH.

Quote:
    *Title I Paralysis Research
    Expands research on paralysis at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This centers on encouraging collaborative research – connecting scientists doing similar work to enhance understanding and speed discovery of better treatments and therapies.

Where do you get that the W2W rallies have nothing to do with curative research. You obviously haven't even read the bill. To state that it's only for QOL and a trials network is patently false and misleading.
    Better treatments and therapies, does not necessarily imply curative research. It could mean treatments to prevent pressure sores etc.

Spider is right, it'll be more of the same old, same old. How far have we gotten with that?

That IS the reason I want to see what new ESC lines can do for sci.

Young does ASCR.

C'mon, try to sell me another one.......
    LOL. Angry that your lies have been exposed? You keep saying the CA bill is an ESCR bill when it clearly supports ASCR too. Why don't you ever mention that Faye?

Clearly NJ wanted an ESCR bill just like dozens of other states, so they started crafting an ESCR bill, just like dozens of other states, because HELLO ASCR is already funded 20 to 1 by the NIH,...........DUH!!
    NJ wanted a bill that would fund stem cell research that included ESCR, that's what was authored into the bill and that's what they got.

But then the Bait and Switch happened behind the scenes and the mainstream media continued to bill it as an ESCR bill, because it had been started as an ESCR bill,........ little did they know that unlike in CA the funding in this ESCR bill was going largely to ASCR.
    LOL, now you're making up stuff. Manufacturing behind the scenes scenarios and conversations to support your delusions is really hurting your credibility Faye.

Dr. Young has not EVER worked with hESC in his lab.

Oh sure he may have worked on mouse ESC's, but other SCI scientists work on REAL ESC's: the human kind, hESC.
    HESCR using federal money is illegal in the US Faye. Wise works for a university. Any university that receives federal money is banned from working with human ESC's.

Wise authored the NJ Bill to access state funds for human ESCR. Until the Keck center can access either state or federal funds, ESCR using human cells is not allowed.

Try again Faye.

Better treatments and therapies, does not necessarily imply curative research. It could mean treatments to prevent pressure sores etc.
    Nope, Title III of the bill would address pressure sore prevention. Title I addresses curative research.

Spider is right, it'll be more of the same old, same old. How far have we gotten with that?
    Right? LOL, how so? She's never even read the bill.

How far have we gotten with what QOL stuff? It's kept me alive for 28 years.

But more importantly IMO, it will force the NIH to fund curative research. It's that aspect of the bill that I'm excited about. That's also the part that has Kerr, McDonald, Davies, Guest and other SCI researchers excited too. That's why they've been such outspoken proponents of it. Anyone who wants a cure and wants to be cured supports it.