Thread: Sore shoulders, cross posted

Sore shoulders, cross posted

My s.o. has a ribbon switch in his headrest that he has to use to change modes on his chair (e.g. to park, recline, move forward/backward, etc). He uses it constantly and has for 16+ years. But in the last few days, the muscles in his right shoulder, the side he uses to flick the ribbon switch with his head, is MASSIVELY painful and seized up. His muscles there are just one great big huge knot, and I mean a knot. I tried like heck to rub out the knots two nights ago and only succeeded (I think) in making it worse! It was so painful later than night that he was awake all night in pain (despite strong painkillers) and had to miss work the next day because of no sleep and the pain.

Any advice out there on what I/we can do to loosen up his shoulders? We put heating packs on it all day yesterday and he said that helped some, but I think he's still in alot more pain than he is letting on. I feel so helpless because I'm afraid that massaging it out will cause it to seize up more like it did the other night.

Suggestions, ideas?

(apologies if you've seen this post more than once, I'm just kinda desperate and posting in multiple places to get as many answers as possible as quickly as possible because he's really in pain)

Zillazangel, I am an able bodied significant other of a C4/5 quadriplegic man

Sounds like a frozen shoulder or bursitis which can be quite painful. Have you considered taking him to an urgent care center or ER? Or made an appointment with his MD ASAP? It could also be a pulled or strained muscle.

Depending on what it is (need to rule out anything serious) exercises, massage, heat/cold compresses, rest, and/or antiinflammatory drugs (to name a few) may help. PLG

Perhaps I'll take him to urgent care tonight, but you never know what you get there - doc in a box sometimes. The ER is SUCH a hassle and very expensive for copays. But maybe I'll convince him to go to urgent care tonight. Thanks for the reply.

Zillazangel, I am an able bodied significant other of a C4/5 quadriplegic man

Happens to me once in a while.

What works for me is 5mg diazapam and 1 or 2 Ibuprophin (sp?)followed 30 minutes later by a neck/shoulder massage from my sweetie with baby oil. (Can you tell I'm a HUGE fan of baby oil... )

The diazapam really relaxes the muscles.