Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After Baclofen Pump Surgery

I have a small frame. When I had my spinal cord stimulator, it was pretty easy to see the internal part below my rib cage.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

You really can't notice it unless you look, Imo. I've had one for a decade or so, and nobody has even noticed it unless I brought it up.

I go in for the first refill in 6 months - the new pump allows for this due to the big reservoir. Needing only two refills a year is great for my lifestye.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    You really can't notice it unless you look, Imo. I've had one for a decade or so, and nobody has even noticed it unless I brought it up.

I go in for the first refill in 6 months - the new pump allows for this due to the big reservoir. Needing only two refills a year is great for my lifestye.
    Does the medicine last 6 months though?? I go every 3 months and they drain 9cc of Baclofen out and pitch it. I used to go 4 months, but they said the medicine is not effective after 90 days. I could go 6 months easy since I'm on such a low dose, but the neurosurgeon says 90 days is the longest interval for the medicine to work.

Offthahook - your Doc is behind the times. Medtronics "recently", last year or so, has now said that Baclofen is good for up to 6 months in a pump.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Offthahook - your Doc is behind the times. Medtronics "recently", last year or so, has now said that Baclofen is good for up to 6 months in a pump.
    He's either ahead or behind the times. Several years ago, he told me I was part of a study to see if Baclofen could go longer than 90 days. I was fine and went 120 days. I thought it was all good and my neurosurgeon is supposedly an expert on the pump. He has been putting them in forever and is in really tight with Medtronic. Then, I heard he was not going over 90 days in any of his patients because he had couple people complain that, after 90 days, the medication wasn't as effective. I think I'll just call him...

It's been six months for me. Actually, I jumped the gun. I don't need a refill until Mar 25...six months and 3 weeks since I got the new pump.

Haven't had any problems at all. I like it this way, only two refills a year.

Thanks!

I talked to my nurse who refills the pump. She said only the new pumps can go 6 months; I have the older pump...

Other than the fact the new one has a bigger reservoir, I don't know what else would drive how long the med can last in the pump.

Seems if your dose is low enough for your med to last, you should be able to go longer too. They both keep it sealed up "for freshness". But who knows...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I think it decays, McDuff, in a short period of time. When I first got my pump years ago, they told me the baclofen wouldn't last more than three months...it breaks down.

But now I think not only did they enlarge the new pump reservoir, but they might have fiddled with the compounding of the drug, to make it live longer.

Just a guess, though.

Thanks!

Yeah, I asked what the difference was that the two generations of pumps could be so different in the refill interval. She really didn't know, but said most of her patients have the older style and we can only go 3 months with that setup. I'm kinda confused how they load the same drug in a newer pump and BAM get 6 months without any problems.

She told me the port is different, the reservoir is bigger, the battery lasts longer, and they can definitely mix 2 drugs in the new style. She wasn't sure if they could instill 2 drugs in the older pumps since none of her patients have 2 drugs AND an old pump. She also said something about the readout has more information with the newer pumps. Basically, you could be anywhere in the world and someone with a reader would know what's up with your pump. Apparently, the older pumps only tell some things on the scan readout. So, yeah, I guess we don't know why Baclofen can go 6 months in one pump, but only 3 months in another pump...