View Poll Results: Would CC Members Benefit from a Employment/SSI/SSDI Board?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it would be a great benefit for members.

136 89.47%
  • No, most CC members, like myself, don't want to work.

4 2.63%
  • Maybe, if working persons provide their input.

14 9.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

As for the poll here now, 100% says it is a good idea, I can’t recall to have seen such a clear poll lately. Thus serious thoughts should be given to create such a forum I think, I also think there are many here with great experiences say as for giving educational advices etc. especially to the younger ones.

Well there is an obvious interest in creating such a forum and those that don't care to visit just need not. It's that simple.

I'm actually in the process of buying a franchise HR/staffing service that's how the idea came up. It's a bold move for anyone--most certainly someone with an SCI.

At this point I would rather be my own boss and create my own opportunities and help others manipulate the employment maze. I have completed the initial franchise screening processes and am now just waiting on my application to be approved. Once that's done I'll receive the UFOC (uniform franchise offering circular) which will give me a more specific breakdown of the business. This company has over 500 offices across the country and if all goes according to plan, I will be the first owner in wheelchair. It's a lot of work, but I think the reward will be worth it. I may have lost my legs, but my mind is still intact and I intend to use it to take care of myself if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Nope, but I can certainly comment on my observations of the most vocal members.

I can never understand negativity just for the sake of being negative...

Back to topic: As someone with a new injury trying very hard to figure out what I am going to do with the rest of my life, I think an employment /education forum would be very beneficial in providing a place for those contemplating or struggling with work and school to get support and advice. At some point I hope to return to school but find the thought of it very overwhelming and intimidating. Reading about how others do it, their challenges and successes, would be very benefical.
    Last edited by orangejello; 02-28-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Pride goeth before a fall. I hope you aren't as insufferably SMUG as you seem to be in this thread. Ick.

You seem to imply that the majority of us are welfare-mentality. I guess we were all hoping for SCI so we could collect that big paycheck (and that primo government health insurance) and never have to work for a living.

You were blessed in family resources and injury level.

I'd love to be happy for you. But. You. Seem. So. SMUG.

I'm sorry to go off topic. This thread is important.

P.S. I'd like links to the lazy vocal majority, please.

Like LaMem said, SO many factors. From cathing to adaptations to transportation to insurance to transitioning to schedules to job opportunities. What a wide range of experiences Carecure has to offer. Doctors, lawyers, activists, dispatchers, students, computer programmers. Even race car drivers. (No joggers though! )
    Thanks for saying what I'm thinking, B.

C, take away your hand function, your ability to sit upright without leaning permanently, perpetually to one side, THEN, talk to me about people not wanting to work.

Oh, and throw in a dose of epilepsy precluding any chance of driving to and from work or for work. Prospective employers may get beyond obvious disability, but seize while at work and watch that job disappear. It happened to me. Yeppers, I lost that job I'd returned to after seizing twice on air. Was neither pretty nor funny.

That doesn't make me lazy.

I've returned to school, not that I need a medal for it, but I've returned. The obstacles to additional education are more numerous than I'd have dreamed, but not insurmountable. Still, it's sucking the limited energy and any physical abilities I have.

I'm. Slowly. Rolling. on.

Keeping myself fed and dressed and clean and dry and happy and healthy and transferred and pooped and voided and bills paid and skin kept intact and equipment maintained and groceries shopped and me befriended and seeing family is a freakin' fulltime job. Add school so I may possibly return to work after additional education and I'm tapping into reserve energy to get it all done.

I don't begrudge you your success, C. I'm happy for you, glad when those among our ranks do well, have success in any way.

However, never make the mistake of using your good furtune as an opportunity to slam others who don't have the same physical abilities as you, don't have the finanial resources from family as you.

I don't fault you for your family's resources. When one doesn't have to be concerned about where the groceries are coming from or how to keep care providers to avoid nursing home placement, there are unlimited choices in life.

You aren't better than, aren't the guiding light for others to follow in the tire tracks of your chair. Yes, you work hard, but you also got incredibly lucky by birth and by the lower level of your injury.

Never mistake such luck as being more blessed, more driven, more good gimp than anyone else. You just aren't.

I think it's a fantastic idea. Personally, I haven't found many services that have been able to give pertinent info on how to get back to work/school.

It often seems that the system is set up for failure -- I'm all for listening to how others have been able to find a new career or continue with the added challenges of health insurance/care/transportation/access and other roadblocks.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose
    That doesn't make me lazy.
    I don't know if I'll bother responding to much else from this thread later today when I have more time, but I do want to say one thing.

You guys have issues. A few people (a vocal minority?) have read a great deal into a very few words. The only concrete thing that anyone can factually claim I've said is that it has not been my impression that a great many unemployed people posting here want to get back to work. Period. From there you guys have made wild leaps and bounds to some angry conclusions. Nobody can quote me as saying that anybody here is lazy or a loser. I didn't attack anyone directly or even indirectly, but some feel justified in personally slamming me. Tell me again, how does that make me the bad guy?

Nobody here can deny the fact that there are some people posting to these boards who have flat out stated that they do not have any intention of seeking work for themselves in the forseeable future. Sure, there are various reasons why people are making that decision, but the fact remains and that is ALL that I commented on. You guys had hissy fits on your own.

Carry on.

C.

I don't know if I'll bother responding to much else from this thread later today when I have more time, but I do want to say one thing.

You guys have issues. A few people (a vocal minority?) have read a great deal into a very few words. The only concrete thing that anyone can factually claim I've said is that it has not been my impression that a great many unemployed people posting here want to get back to work. Period. From there you guys have made wild leaps and bounds to some angry conclusions. Nobody can quote me as saying that anybody here is lazy or a loser. I didn't attack anyone directly or even indirectly, but some feel justified in personally slamming me. Tell me again, how does that make me the bad guy?

Nobody here can deny the fact that there are some people posting to these boards who have flat out stated that they do not have any intention of seeking work for themselves in the forseeable future. Sure, there are various reasons why people are making that decision, but the fact remains and that is ALL that I commented on. You guys had hissy fits on your own.

Carry on.

C.
    That you have implied most don't wish to return to work from the "vocal" indicates your own bias toward other gimps. You really aren't better than.

Hissy fit? Not even on my worst day.

As for attitude, you have more than enough and it isn't positive. When you post here, it's to complain, negate, imply loads of what you view as what others are saying.

Your repeated disparaging comments, including nitpicking the posts of others, attempting to correct what others say, screams volumes of your own issues.

You repeatedly attempt to set yourself apart and above other mere mortal gimps, C. Get over yourself and get real.

Carry on.

C.
    Tiger, if I might, and relax, no big a deal, I think you hinted to the thread I started why SCI'd should necessarily work in some way originally here, right? If so, don’t put each single word in a Excel spreadsheet table and do a calculus, that was a thread questioning why SCI’d should work “dead or alive” or "no matter". Above that I like you’re questioning ways in threads, and have also said so, I like you, and we need more ppl asking questions like you do (you’re a good person, just plain straight and direct sometimes, but so is many, including me). Ok, back to topic (for me)... I think it is a good idea with such a forum, many can give advices to many, by such a forum it will neither be a political forum where most is allowed, nor a general life forum, but a specific one addressing and discussing important things like work and education. I personally think it could have been a serious forum as for those topics and helped many. I think the idea here on top in the thread is great, not discussing my situation here, but the many, so again, great idea, one of the best ones for some time. To activate ppl as for work or other things is a good thing, and then maybe some that can’t see possibilities can pick up ideas from others as for education and work issues cause as we know, there is a lot of options if one can, it is just to be able to get the ideas, and then such a forum could be a melting pot for such ideas, maybe? A good idea I think, one can prosper through education and work, and if some want but don’t know how maybe advices and others experiences can be picked up for the ones that can but don’t know how to? And that of course can be many, often I guess many don’t know how (for the ones that can and want too I mean, but remember, many can't), maybe such a forum could help? I think so; I think it could be a good forum, a present and actual forum discussing important things.

(Maybe then lazy me also can find some inspiration to go back in time and start all over again lol)
    Last edited by Leif; 02-28-2007 at 03:17 PM.

It's no point arguing she knows all. I normally don't post against anyone or say anything negative but for once I've read enough. Back to topic please.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

well said leif
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.