View Poll Results: Would CC Members Benefit from a Employment/SSI/SSDI Board?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it would be a great benefit for members.

135 89.40%
  • No, most CC members, like myself, don't want to work.

4 2.65%
  • Maybe, if working persons provide their input.

14 9.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't a "Work/Employment" forum exist?

I like it! Getting back to work is complicated and the fear of losing essential services in the process can be daunting.

I think a lot of people would like to work but don't know how to go about without being penalized by the system.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

'Cause you've got a great bead on how nearly 15,000 registered members feel & act...
    lol

I think it's a good idea. I've struggled with some of this myself having to go back to work so quickly due to my situation. Including higher education would be great also.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Tiger, was that meant as shitty as it sounded??? It really sounded like you were passing judgment on a large number of people, implying that we are by and large an unmotivated lot.

I hope that we are misreading the superior judgmental tone. We can't all be paraplegic race car drivers, right?

I hate to suggest another forum but I agree this info is essential to our community especially. We are blessed with a lot of experienced members and their knowledge could really help.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by betheny
    Tiger, was that meant as shitty as it sounded??? It really sounded like you were passing judgment on a large number of people, implying that we are by and large an unmotivated lot.

I hope that we are misreading the superior judgmental tone. We can't all be paraplegic race car drivers, right?

I hate to suggest another forum but I agree this info is essential to our community especially. We are blessed with a lot of experienced members and their knowledge could really help.
    you made dietcoke come out of my nose ...thanks for the giggle

I think it's a great idea for a Forum. I've been working since I was 18 as a part time job in school. Yes I was in my chair then. Have been since I was 5. By the way I'm 45 now. I believe work is very fullfilling and gives you a purpose in life. Everyone is different though and in different situations at different times in their lives so we sahould'nt either laud or condemn people for the choices they make after SCI. It really sucks to have suffered from an SCI and we all cope in different ways and I think that's OK. Being in the chair most of my life may have motivated me to overcome my disability more than somedone injured later in life.

I do feel that Tiger's post was inappropriate but have noticed she is pretty open with her opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    If I may be so inquisitive to ask, how are you employed?

B.
    She's only mentioned it a bazillion times.

Being born with a silver spoon in her mouth didn't hurt either.

I think the forum is a great idea. I've now been employed fror 3 years post injury (I worked pre-injury too) and I know navigating the system's can be tricky and daunting. Especially in states with no Medicaid buy-in option.

This is a great Idea. I think this will help people who lost their job after SCI.

Thumbs up

I've got to weigh in with the higher ed./ work forum people on this. I got the former but, due to a number of reasons having to do with both life/medical traumas and childhood programing, never "joined the workforce". At 63 I'm wishing I had while I had the chance. I'm ready now but neither the employers nor my body are.
    Creating such a forum would almost automatically "graduate" some of our more experienced members to....ah, forget that.

It's a great idea.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

I think the idea of a work/education forum is a great idea...I belive that there was discussion/request quite a while back about an education forum..I don't know where that went...I would hope that this effort would garner enough interest to support the formation of a forum dedicated to education and employment issues...not to exclude ssi/ssdi...I think that these issues/questions/etc would def be more easily visible and less easily lost if they were in their own forum.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......