Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when to discuss work accommodations?

when to discuss work accommodations?

I'm starting a new job starting in a few weeks and I have not met my manager or new peers yet. I have only had interactions via telephone. When is it appropriate to bring up the accommodations I may need for the job and to discuss my disability?
    Daniel

after they meet you.

My concern is that my new manager could feel that I've misled him because I have not disclosed my mobility requirements; do people think it's worth bringing up before my start date?
    Daniel

I think, if you've already been hired, then bring up possible accommodations right away. You don't want to get to work and find out your office is on the second floor with no elevator.

Also, I agree that it might a shock and offense to them that you show up for work and "Surprise! I'm in a wheelchair!" It's a good strategy to not bring it up before you're hired (that's what I did years ago for a job), but letting them know right away after you're hired will be beneficial for everyone, especially if there are any changes at their offices necessary.

I agree with the rest Dan. If they hired you without a face to face, bring it up as soon as possible after you meet them.

You mobility requirements don't prevent you from doing the job right? It shouldn't matter but it may be awkward if like Scorpion says "you show up and your office is on a second floor with no elevator".

Good luck in the new position. Congrats.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Google the address, look at it from street view to see if it is a multistory building and how tall, follow your gut from there.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Disclose before you show up

I overlooked the part about you already having the job. If that's the case, then yeah, give them a call and chat about it. 10:1 says it won't be a big deal.

He doesn't have the job for a few weeks. It could evaporate if he isn't careful enough.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I agree with everyone else here saying address this as soon as possible. If there is a human resources department, then give them a call before you start work and discuss the accessibility of your workplace and any accommodations you might need. If there's no HR, then go to your direct supervisor. Good luck!

As long as this thread is happening on this topic, I'm going to take the opportunity to ask a question. I don't want to hijack the thread, but it seems on topic.

Google street view can obviously help you look at the outside of a building to see the style. You can see if it is a newer build and then know that it is most likely accessible. If it looks like an older build, what should your next move be? It seems like if you ask an interviewer about accessibility, you tip your hand, but then maybe you just have to sometimes.

Has anyone found an effective way to deal with asking about workplace accessibility in phone interviews? I am not okay with just leaving things to chance, showing up for work on day one and hoping that the interior will be completely accessible. I learned this lesson the hard way, when I showed up to intern with a nonprofit housed in a four story brownstone. I have considered scoping out a potential workplace in person in the past, but then found this to be impossible as I ended up interviewing for jobs seven hours from where I lived. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General