Thread: Inpatient care at VA SCI centers?

Inpatient care at VA SCI centers?

Is there anyone out there that has been or is currently an inpatient at one of the VA SCI centers? If so, which one and what do you think of the care? My brother was injured in Iraq and will be headed to rehab soon and is trying to choose which center to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by buttershot
    Is there anyone out there that has been or is currently an inpatient at one of the VA SCI centers? If so, which one and what do you think of the care? My brother was injured in Iraq and will be headed to rehab soon and is trying to choose which center to go to.
    I personally like the Center in San Diego because the nursing care as well as patient advocacy is outstanding. Cost in the SD area is an issue however. Call and speak with the SCI intake coordinator. I have worked with her with at least 2 families who were VERY happy with their care. I also believe that they have the highest patient satisfaction based on the surveys that are conducted.

With the various issues with disability ratings and all, outstanding advocacy is real important.

I would urge you to use the CARF list as well as other guides for making a decision.The checklist is posted in this forum. Call the Paralysis Resource Center and ask them for a NI package for a veteran. 800-539-7309 or http://www.paralysis.org

Good luck
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Being close to family is also an issue. For active duty patients like your brother, the military must send him either to the VA SCI Center closest to his family or closest to the place he plans to reside after discharge from the military. I suspect that since he is from Florida, and because he is a polytrauma OIF/OEF injury that Tampa would be the best place for him at this time. They also have excellent nursing care...I know many of the nurses there and can vouch for their quality and expertise. Tampa VA is one of only 3 VA hospitals in the USA who have achieved Magnet Hosptial status for their nursing care.

(KLD)