Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tightest Hip Flexors on the PLANET!!!!

Tightest Hip Flexors on the PLANET!!!!

First I'm from the south so Hi Ya'll. Then a brief bio... I am para stabilized T8 to L3. Post injury 11months. Burst fracture at L1 with 80% compression at that level. All due to the worst landing ever in 21 years of flying. (I used to say any landing you can walk away from is a good one . I now say any landing you can roll away from after a year of rehab is a good one LOL). Shepherd Center Alumni.

My hip flexors have got to be in the running for tightest ever. Yes I stretch. Everyday. I have a little motor control movement in my left leg (thigh). Right after the accident it started becoming evident my hip flexors were tight and it has only gotten worse since life in the chair became the normal mode of ambulation. Most of the pain I endure is centered around my hips and upper legs. I have sensation to my knees albiet not normal from crotch down.

Anybody with similar experiences to share would be appreciated.

Glad to be here on CC. I already feel at home.
    Grange

Do you mean you are contracted in a flexed position, or in an extended position at your hips? If in an extended position, how do you sit in a chair? What type of ROM do you do? Are you taking medication for spasticity (hypertonicity)?

(KLD)

They contract in the flexed position. I don't want my attempt at levity to make things sound worse than they are. When I lay down on my back my legs are drawn up into the air at about a 15 to 20 degree angle to my knees. After laying there for a while my legs will drop some but they mostly just rotate so my knees and toes are pointing outward. PT's all comment on how tight my hip flexors are. Seems like this tightness is generating alot of my discomfort., Oh yeah I am taking Xanaflex, Lyrica, Methadone.

How much Zanaflex?

How much time do you spend prone daily (laying on your stomach)? This is an excellent method to both prevent and treat hip flexion contractures like this.

(KLD)

I am T12 and have trouble with this. when I lay on my side with legs straight they will pull up in minutes no matter what. I lay on my stomach with pillow under thighs and under belly so that my hips kind of hang down. This helps some but no matter what I do I'm always tight here. I t also helps to lay on stomach and have someone push down on hip while lifting my leg. Good luck.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Maybe a standing frame will help your hips stretch out more b/c you're in a standing postition. Horseback riding can also help stretch out your hips by leaning over or just having the horse in a walking gait. Here is a listing of NARHA therapeutic riding facilities in Georgia: http://www.narha.org/Centers/center_...ity_search.asp

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I t also helps to lay on stomach and have someone push down on hip while lifting my leg.
    Did a PT recommend that? I've been told that this kind of stretching is likely to do more damage to your lower bank than it is to do any good in stretching out your hip flexors. What my PT suggested was laying on my back at the edge of the bed with one leg hanging over the side and the other held in a flexed position. Then have someone push down gently on knee of the leg hanging down. He said that gives more of a stretch to the hip without as much risk to the lower back.

C.

My hip rotates and pushing down helps this. My PT is the one who does it and man it feels good. As far as I can tell my lower back isn't affected at all. But thanks for your concern.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    How much Zanaflex?

How much time do you spend prone daily (laying on your stomach)? This is an excellent method to both prevent and treat hip flexion contractures like this.

(KLD)
    Prone laying TREATS this type of contracture? That's good news. I was under the impression that the only real treatment for contracture is surgical release, botox, or maybe ITB. My hip flexors are also very tight, although due to cerebral spasticity. Sometimes I don't think stretching does any good....
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

I have been recommended for ITB I'm a bit scared of it. I've tried botox. I am so small I don't know about a disk in my abdomen. I want to see someone who has it. Haven't had much time to research it yet.