Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prolactine (sp)?

Question Prolactine (sp)?

I just saw that they found that women who become pregnant sometimes go into remission of their MS. They found that Prolactine (sp) goes up in the women and heals nerves that are damaged from the MS. Is this really something new or has it been around for awhile? Would it have any impact on SCI?

Weiss and his colleagues injected the nerve fibers in the spinal cords of pregnant and non-pregnant mice with a chemical that destroys myelin. Two weeks later, the researchers found that the pregnant mice had repaired most of the damage and had twice as much myelin as the non-pregnant mice. They found twice as much myelin repair in pregnant female mice with spinal cord injuries compared with non-pregnant females of the same age.

If additional tests go well, the hormone prolactin might represent a novel way of treating MS, a disease that afflicts more than 2 million people worldwide. The research, conducted on mice, opens up a new approach to tackling MS. Current treatments focus on controlling the autoimmune disease, but don't repair damage that has occurred.

The study suggests prolactin a hormone that helps boost milk production, might be one reason that the disease takes a time-out, says Patricia O'Looney of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in New York.

there's a story
    http://www.curespinalcordinjury.com/...nd-spinal-cord
    Last edited by cypresss; 02-21-2007 at 04:13 PM.

This isn't directly related so offtopic alert!

Adrenal and pituitary hormone patterns after spinal cord injury.

Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103-2406, USA.

Current evidence indicates that the neuroendocrine system is the highest regulator of immune/inflammatory reactions. We hypothesized that immune alterations, which were related to the level of injury, found in a cohort of spinal cord-injured subjects may be influenced by altered hormonal patterns postinjury. Therefore, we investigated aspects of both pituitary and adrenal function in the same cohort of spinal cord-injured subjects. We found significant elevations in both cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate in chronic spinal cord-injured survivors compared with their able-bodied age- and gender-matched controls. Levels of dehydroepiandrosterone, adrenocorticotropin, and prolactin were not different in spinal cord-injured subjects overall compared with their controls. Both dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and dehydroepiandrosterone were higher in tetraplegics compared with their controls, but we found no such differences in paraplegics compared with their controls. When the two groups of spinal cord-injured subjects were compared with each other, we also found differences between these two subject groups in dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and dehydroepiandrosterone (higher in the tetraplegics compared with paraplegics). We found no differences between either group of spinal cord-injured subjects and their controls for adrenocorticotropin, prolactin, or cortisol. These data suggest that some hormonal differences between subjects and their controls may be further related to the level of injury (specifically dehydroepiandrosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone). Finally, we investigated correlations within subjects for the above hormones. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate and prolactin were highly correlated (the higher the dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, the higher the prolactin) but only in the tetraplegic subjects.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate is DHEA. Excessive amounts produce:

* Palpitations and other arrhythmias
    * extensive growth of body hair, or hirsutism
    * Hair loss, especially male pattern baldness
    * acne
    Last edited by antiquity; 02-21-2007 at 07:56 PM.

weird, i just had a brain mri this am due to high prolactin levels, the levels have been climbing for the last 6 months. i wonder if meds have anything to do with this, i do take dhea , however no increase in dhea over the last couple of years.
    i have a very low injury, so no correlation there.
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by metronycguy
    weird, i just had a brain mri this am due to high prolactin levels
    What does prolactin do in men's bodies?

C.

i don't know, it is still produced by the pituitary gland. levels showed up high in a blood test
    cauda equina

Hey metro, are you on anti-depressants? That can cause elevated levels in males.

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/ar...prolactin.html

thanks antiquity,
    "Many different types of drugs can elevate blood prolactin levels such as antidepressant medication, opiate drugs and painkillers.:"
    well that is me in a nutshell! the doc that sent me for the mri is the one that prescribed the wellbutrin and also raised the level from 300 to 450 a day over this same time frame.
    i also started on oxycontin in this time frame,and my daily use of oxycodone has been up too, so that is another possibility.
    cauda equina

Sex also increases prolactin levels. link

There was also an isolated case of a girl lactacting because of a nipple ring infection elevating prolactin levels. link

Alcohol increases prolactin levels as well. link
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

interesting read on that link Steven.
    one thing i noticed when i started the wellbutrin, my sense of smell really became more sensitive, it was very noticeable.
    wellbutrin is supposed to increase horniness as opposed to other antidepressants that make one lose libido.
    cauda equina