Thread: Good Vibrations: Aging Bones May Benefit From A Good Shaking

Good Vibrations: Aging Bones May Benefit From A Good Shaking

Good Vibrations: Aging Bones May Benefit From A Good Shaking

Science Daily While running and jumping are some of the best ways to maintain or improve bone strength and help prevent fractures, they aren't the safest activities for the frail, elderly or physically impaired.

Dr Belinda Beck, senior lecturer at Griffith University's School of Physiotherapy and Exercise Science, said there was some evidence that low intensity loading performed at a sufficiently high frequency may also improve bone mass.

She has recently received funding to test the effects of a whole body vibration device -- a platform that participants stand on while it vibrates at up to 30 cycles per second. "Bone generally responds to exercise that is high intensity but older people can't do that without the risk of hurting themselves. We need a stimulus that is effective on bone but does not cause damage."

More
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

It's been posted here before, The Wave Excersise Platform, Wavexercise.com, it's a vibrating platform made in Canada, it works well on old people, and SCI victims, RIM, in Michigan uses it.

This woman just got funding to test if it works, or not. Hopefully she'll discover that it builds up bone density. With such test data, then maybe Medicare/Medicaid might decide to cover the cost of the equipment.

I haven't checked with my insurance to see if they'd cover something like this, but if they currently don't, having bonafide testing proving the efficacy might persuade them to.

"Whole body vibration offers an opportunity to improve bone strength, muscle strength and balance -- three of the known risk factors for hip fractures in the elderly."

This would help a lot in recovery and rehabilitation from any chronic sci therapies that come down the pike...and it'd be a good thing to do until such therapies materialize.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

There is a place in New York City that has one, a tanning salon, beleive it, or not, the only bad thing is it's on the second floor, and no elevator, figures. It wouldn't matter to me, living in a 2 story house on a hill, I had to learn how to navigate the stairs before I came home from rehab, but to any one else it wouldn't be acheivable to try it. I would like to give it a whirl though, If I get the time and I'm in the city, it's 2 hours away. It happens to be right down where I used to work, just afraid I'll get "lost" for a few days.
    They have had good luck in other countries with this device, bone mass, safety etc. Just wished they would get one closer to me, I'll check in a few months, the tread mill, and stationary bike is boring, maybe this will shake things up.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    This would help a lot in recovery and rehabilitation from any chronic sci therapies that come down the pike...and it'd be a good thing to do until such therapies materialize.
    Agreed. Beats the risk of bone cancer with the biphosphonates too.

Project Walk has used a similar piece of equipment for several years. It is known as a Power Plate. Clients may stand on it, with a sling if necessary, sit and place their feet on it, or literally sit on it.

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang