Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pressure Ulcer Staging Standards

Yes, I meant to thank you for these also, KLD.

So what's a likely prognosis for someone with a "unable to stage" pressure sore on their butt? I mean wouldn't the likelihood of death be pretty real given that situation?
    Last edited by doingtimeonmyass; 03-12-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    You Don’t Choose A Life, You Live One – “The Way”

No, not necessarily. We see "unable to stage" pressure ulcers all the time. The may be a DTI (deep tissue injury) or a pressure ulcer that is covered with slough or eschar. Until the slough or eschar is removed, you cannot stage it according to the new guidelines. An unable to stage pressure ulcer is at least a stage III, but you cannot tell if it is a stage IV until it is debrided.

(KLD)

thank you for showing the photo's on Pressure sores, my friend as had one for 5 months & it is in the crack of his buttocks, i have never saw one before & now i understand more since reading & seeing the photos on this tread, so i thank you for that.
    He is in a wheel chair as he is paraplegic but trys to stay in bed which he as a mattress from the health service but trys to stay on his sides a lot.
    Can you please tell me the best cusion that i could buy for him so he cauld sit in his chair more though out the day instead of being in bed most of the time.
    Any help you can give me will be great.
    Many thanks in advice for any help.

Please don't post specific wound care questions on this thread. Please start a separate message. This thread is specifically for discussion of pressure ulcer staging. Thanks.

(KLD)

Wound on right heel

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    This is great thanks!

I'm having a helluva time with one wound on my right heel - it's almost healed but the skin must be thinner than tissue paper. Even dousing the dressing in oxygenated water as I change it - pulling off the dressing re-opens it ... dammit. If I could just heal and be done with one ... but I get them to this stage and am so unfamiliar with what to do. The skin around is so flakey and dry. GRRR

A wound care nurse is only available on Thursdays at one hospital and she is usually booked ... 8-4pm doesn't jive with my shift work schedule either. No home care nurse - deemed too independant.
    I am chipd's nurse. Try covering heel with Mepitel. Dressing is porous and wound can be cleansed right through without disturbing wound base with dressing change. leave Mepitel in place for 1 wk. then change. use reg dressing, gauze or foam over mepitel. lynn rn

Picture Please?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    These have finally been approved by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. The major change is the addition of Deep Tissue Injury (DTI) and "unstagable" categories.

It will take a while for clinicians to learn these new standards, so you may want to print this out to share with your providers.

If anyone would like example photos of some of these, post here and I will see what I can do.

(KLD)
    wow..........
    Last edited by Jr.; 07-10-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Stage 4 pressure sore with the butt and the theigh....omg it would take a year and they would have to cut your leg off to use the muscle for a flap......shit just shoot me if it gets that bad.....omg........Art
    Art

My husband is an imcomplete quad with a three day life span that will be a year Oct 18. These pictures really helped as he has the worst of the worst pressure sores on his left calf and on both heels, I have found on this journey that everyone has something different to say about the pressure sores and the prognosis. the nursing home he is in works and debredes everyday and use the silvidine cream but I dont see much progress, they are taking the dead black tissue off his heals and they are really oozing and infected, the calf is now where you can see the total destruction it is about 6 inches long and about two inches deep and two inches wide. Since he has feeling but cant move I know these are so painful for him. I guess I am asking is there anything else we can do for him beside the lidocane patches and the 300 mcg of phyntenol he is on now, he is also on morphinie liquid every two hours as needed. thank you for letting me ramble

Quote Originally Posted by kandycane View Post
    My husband is an imcomplete quad with a three day life span that will be a year Oct 18. These pictures really helped as he has the worst of the worst pressure sores on his left calf and on both heels, I have found on this journey that everyone has something different to say about the pressure sores and the prognosis. the nursing home he is in works and debredes everyday and use the silvidine cream but I dont see much progress, they are taking the dead black tissue off his heals and they are really oozing and infected, the calf is now where you can see the total destruction it is about 6 inches long and about two inches deep and two inches wide. Since he has feeling but cant move I know these are so painful for him. I guess I am asking is there anything else we can do for him beside the lidocane patches and the 300 mcg of phyntenol he is on now, he is also on morphinie liquid every two hours as needed. thank you for letting me ramble
    I DON'T KNOW the reason that dead tissue always wants to be removed from pressure(bed) sores with creams and medication pads EVEN when they keep getting worst. Don't get me wrong, they often work and have worked for me in the past. But, there should be a limit of how long to try different creams and pads before the doctor gives the OK get some sterilized scissors and cut the dead tissue. I was in the hospital the first time I had to deal with a pressure sore from not being able to being taken off my back for most of the day. It was right above my butt and finallaly got on my butt cheeks and no pads or creams were making the sore get better. You could actually smell dead rotten tissue badly in my room. One nurse that became very good friends with my family opted to tell us that the only way she knew to work. We would need to cut out all the dead tissue until you could only see red healthy tissue. We asked her to tell the doctor and she said for us to talk to him but not to mention her because she would get in trouble. We asked the head doctor and three other doctors that had attend me and they all said to trust the medications and keep me off of the sore for as much as possible. About 3 weeks later of trying the regular creams and pads and then the most expensive creams and pads and the sore getting worst the nurse talked to us again. She explain to my mom that she would cut of the dead tissue until she got to health red bleeding tissue but for us to buy the sterile pads, gloves, scissors and other sterile items she needed to remove the dead tissue. We asked her what she was going to charge and she charged NOTHING. She did it and a week later I had healthy tissue growing and 5 months later the wound that once looked like it could fit around my fist was only needing the outer skin. Moreover, more than two years later I didn't have proper help and when the fevers started again because of dead tissue in a NEW sore in the same place we started to look for that same nurse. We couldn't fine her and had a hardtime finding a doctor willing to cut off the dead tissue. We had to pay operation charges to a doctor that was willing to cut off the tissue but not before we signed off that we would not sue or make him responsible if things went bad. This time it took almost 2 years to completely heal but it healed. It only took like 7 months for the hole the sore had made to be covered in healthy tissue but it took over another year for the skin to cover it completely. We tried all kinds of creams and pads to help the skin cover faster but it seems that the skin takes forever back there after the wound is covered in healthy tissue. I hope this helps someone but still trust the pads and creams first.
    AstrO