Thread: Advice needed ASAP

Advice needed ASAP

My mom is 70 years old and injury is at t-7. She has little feeling from waist down but lots of nerve pain. This morning she saw a knot on her leg in the calf area and she rubbed it hard. At that time she felt the instant "wash" of numbness through her entire leg that was similar to the feeling that occurred during her infarct. Her leg is completely numb....different from the numb before. I cannot get her into her Neuro doctor until morning. Should I take her to the Emergency room? I do have an apt this afternoon with a doctor in her primary care group but they have little to no knowledge of spinal cord injury. Anyone else with similar story?

Call her PCP. She probably needs a doppler or other study to rule out deep vein thrombosis (DVT) in her leg. She is at high risk for this problem, and a clot that breaks off (or is broken off by massage like this) can travel to the heart and lungs and cause a pulmonary embolus. This can be life threatening. A DVT would be the first thing to rule out...next would be a fracture in her tibia or fibula. Doppler, then Xrays. Don't delay. (KLD)