Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can I change out my own foley

  1. #1
    Senior Member nevada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    north dakoa

    Can I change out my own foley

    Well after 11 years of IC it now appears that the false passage that I developed about two months ago is going to prevent me from IC and I am now using a foley for my bladder management. On Sunday I could not get the catheter to enter my bladder and had to make a 70 mile drive to the ER. Once there the staff could not get a foley to start and had to call the Urologist on call to come in which took almost an hour so now I have gone almost three hours since I had to cath and I had my first and I hope last experience with AD as my BP was 210/160 with a pulse of 42 needless to say they were scrambling in the ER to try and get me back to normal. About this time the urologist shows up who had experience with SCI patients and knew what was going on. He was about ready to stick a spinal needle into my bladder as they were having issues trying to find the right parts to the cystoscope . I was given some type of shot and my BP dropped to 160/100 and pulse went up to 60 and they finally found the right parts and the urologist was able by using the cystoscope to insert the foley and drain my bladder. So now it looks like I will be using the foley for the rest of my SCI career. With that said do any of you change out your own foley and if so how long did it take for you to learn how? I had been having my changed by the nurse at the my urologist once a month but I hate to have to drive 70 miles just to have it changed out and god forbid should I ever get a chance at having sex again I would love to try but with a foley inside me that is never going to happen even if I was able to get an erection.

  2. #2
    For males, a SP is a much better option for long term indwelling catheter management in most cases. It is likely you will continue to have problems inserting a urethral catheter if you have a lot of strictures or false passages, and using an indwelling urethra can make the strictures worse. Although you could probably learn how to do this, you could also learn how to change a SP catheter yourself. The primary advantages of a SP for long term use are 1) no risks of urethral damage and 2) no interference with genital sexual activities for males. It is not a big surgery. I would have a long discussion with your urologist about the option of doing this. Another option might be continuing to do intermittent cath, but having a Mitrofanoff procedure done in order to do this without having to use the urethra for cathing. (KLD)

  3. #3
    Senior Member rdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Someplace between Nowhere and Goodbye
    I thought false passages healed and one could keep IC'ing. I've had a few strictures, not a false passage, but they were able to deal with the strictures fine. I still IC. I know guys who had false passages who still IC. Check out your options with another URO if you can. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Not if the false passage does not heal with 4-6 weeks of indwelling catheter use, or if the person actually has more than just a false passage (such as a bad stricture, or a fistula). I would agree about getting a second opinion though, ideally from a urologist who really specializes in SCI or neurologic urology. (KLD)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I use a foley when I travel, and put it in myself The false passage problem may complicate that too tho. But if you can insert a regular cath, you can do a foley.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts