Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Pressure Ulcer Staging Standards

New Pressure Ulcer Staging Standards

These have finally been approved by the National Pressure Ulcer Advisory Panel. The major change is the addition of Deep Tissue Injury (DTI) and "unstagable" categories.

It will take a while for clinicians to learn these new standards, so you may want to print this out to share with your providers.

If anyone would like example photos of some of these, post here and I will see what I can do.

(KLD)

This is great thanks!

I'm having a helluva time with one wound on my right heel - it's almost healed but the skin must be thinner than tissue paper. Even dousing the dressing in oxygenated water as I change it - pulling off the dressing re-opens it ... dammit. If I could just heal and be done with one ... but I get them to this stage and am so unfamiliar with what to do. The skin around is so flakey and dry. GRRR

A wound care nurse is only available on Thursdays at one hospital and she is usually booked ... 8-4pm doesn't jive with my shift work schedule either. No home care nurse - deemed too independant.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thank you, this is one reason why I really appreciate this website.

Pictures

Would be great, if it's not too much trouble KLD.

So far, we haven't had to deal with a pressure sore, but I'd like to be prepared, and know what to look for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer
    This is great thanks!

I'm having a helluva time with one wound on my right heel - it's almost healed but the skin must be thinner than tissue paper. Even dousing the dressing in oxygenated water as I change it - pulling off the dressing re-opens it ... dammit. If I could just heal and be done with one ... but I get them to this stage and am so unfamiliar with what to do. The skin around is so flakey and dry. GRRR

A wound care nurse is only available on Thursdays at one hospital and she is usually booked ... 8-4pm doesn't jive with my shift work schedule either. No home care nurse - deemed too independant.
    Maybe you can try combine dressings. I have found that they don't stick as much as 4x4 gauze. You always have to keep the wound moist by putting something in it such as silvadine or aguacel. Silvadine awesome! I always use it for my wounds. Is there another wound care nurse that you can see? It's really important that you have it checked out b/c it can seriously tunnel over night or become infected.

You do not ALWAYS need to use a gel or Silvadene to keep a wound moist. Silvadene is pretty much outdated compared to other silver products, as it inhibits healing more than they do. Silver products should only be used for infected pressure ulcers that are producing pus.

Prevention of and care for pressure ulcers can be guided by the clinical practice guidelines available from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine.

Please start a new thread to discuss specific wound issues instead of using this informational sticky thread for that.

(KLD)

Here are some PDF example photos of each of the types of wounds described in the NPUAP standards. WARNING: these are graphic photos. These are of Stage I-IV pressure ulcers. See below for the other two categories.

(KLD)

Here are some PDF example photos of both Unable to Stage and Deep Tissue Injury pressure ulcers, which are both new categories in the NPUAP standards. WARNING: these are graphic photos.

(KLD)

Thanks KLD. Trying to go by descriptions alone is difficult. I now can easily see I paniced just in time that my coccyx and elbow were both clobbered at early stage 2. And with the proper treatment my butt is completely healed and my elbow almost is....I keep hitting it on things. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Thanks A Lot