Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Cystoplasty Bladder Augmentation Questions... Bowel

Exclamation Indiana Cystoplasty Bladder Augmentation Questions... Bowel

I've had a lot of complications from this surgery...

I had my first surgery January 11th. After running a fever and vomiting [despite that tube down my nose] I went through a couple CT scans and that showed I was suffering from intestinal leakage. On January 19th I had a 2nd surgery where they fixed the staples.

Because of all this, I couldn't eat for 21 days. I've been eating for a little more than 2 weeks.

Right now, I'm suffering from bowel incontinence. A week ago, my bowels seemed to be changing consistency and fiming up. Then they went back to being like vegetable soup.

I had a movement at 5pm Friday night. Then nothing until this [Sunday] morning. My caregiver said the consistency was still loose but had firmer parts to it.

Today, I've had another really loose movement. It's driving me crazy. I don't want to leave my bed.

Wednesday, I saw my urologist. He told me he has never had a patient with long term bowel problems.

I saw my surgeon Thursday, he took out my stiches. I told him about my bowel problems, he said that what I'm going through is normal because I had two major intestinal surgeries. He also said that all the bacteria in my intestines and colon has to rebuild itself. He recommended I take Metamucil 2x a day to firm up my stool. I asked him if Activia [the yogurt] would help me. He thought it might.

I've taken Metamucil 1x a day. Today, I'm taking it 2x. I was afraid to take it 2x, I thought it was going to make me go more. I don't know...

This whole recovery process has been so difficult. I keep going through moments of sweating and goosebumps and mild spasms. It's awful. I have to eat because I was thin already before surgery, and after not eating for 21 days I lost like 15 lbs. And I'm afraid to eat anything. I'm becoming so neurotic... Could it be my diet Is there something I can eat to solidify my stool

I know this surgery will be worth it in the end. But right now, it REALLY sucks. I never thought I'd have so many complications. Oh yeah, a week into my 3 week hospital stay I developed 3 pressure sores on my feet. I've been injured for a year and a half and I've never had a pressure sore.

Any tips, my email is Mmm_Truthiness@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Meaghan

Sorry, you have definitely been through the wringer!

We tell patients who have a neobladder (Indiana pouch or other type) to expect for their bowels to be a mess for 4-6 weeks. They use up to 2 feet of your large colon for this procedure, and it takes some time to adjust. If you also had an ileus due to bowel leakage, this process could take longer.

I assume you have been tested for c. diff, just to be sure?? We don't try to firm up stool until this has been done if there are frequent loose stools after any hospitalization or use of lots of antibiotics (which I assume you had). If not, insist that this be done on a stool specimen right away.

I don't find that Metamucil does much to firm up stool unless you are on tube feedings. Calcium polycarbophyl (Fibercon is one brand) works much better for this, up to 6 tablets daily. Imodium can also be added if needed.

As far as foods, avoid prunes and prune juice, add cheese (hard yellow cheese is best), tea, banana chips, and yogurt with live culture. You can also take lactobacillus tablets and drink small amounts of lactobacillus milk.

Didn't they put you on TPN when you could not eat??

Sorry about your feet. I would like to say that good nursing care should have prevented this, but you do have to be hypervigilant about your skin in the hospital and be sure that a family member or close friend is advocating for you in this area if you are too ill to do it for yourself. I hope they are healing now.

Continue with your regular bowel program, even if you have accidents.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Sorry, you have definitely been through the wringer!

We tell patients who have a neobladder (Indiana pouch or other type) to expect for their bowels to be a mess for 4-6 weeks. They use up to 2 feet of your large colon for this procedure, and it takes some time to adjust. If you also had an ileus due to bowel leakage, this process could take longer.

I assume you have been tested for c. diff, just to be sure?? We don't try to firm up stool until this has been done if there are frequent loose stools after any hospitalization or use of lots of antibiotics (which I assume you had). If not, insist that this be done on a stool specimen right away.

I don't find that Metamucil does much to firm up stool unless you are on tube feedings. Calcium polycarbophyl (Fibercon is one brand) works much better for this, up to 6 tablets daily. Imodium can also be added if needed.

As far as foods, avoid prunes and prune juice, add cheese (hard yellow cheese is best), tea, banana chips, and yogurt with live culture. You can also take lactobacillus tablets and drink small amounts of lactobacillus milk.

Didn't they put you on TPN when you could not eat??

Sorry about your feet. I would like to say that good nursing care should have prevented this, but you do have to be hypervigilant about your skin in the hospital and be sure that a family member or close friend is advocating for you in this area if you are too ill to do it for yourself. I hope they are healing now.

Continue with your regular bowel program, even if you have accidents.

(KLD)
    Thank you!

I'll ask my doctor about the C Diff. test. I'm seeing him on Tuesday.

I'll try Fibercon and the dietary changes. I was confused about cheese, but that clarifies it.

They didn't put me on TPN and lipids till after my second surgery. I was on electrolytes for 8 days before that. Uggh... all I wanted to do was eat ANYTHING...

This whole surgery was such an ordeal. I had so many tubes hanging out of me I think everyone was afraid to move me. You're completely right, I've definitely learned my lesson from this experience.

Thanks again. I saw my doctor and was tested for C. Diff. I'm waiting for the results. But since I started taking Fibercon I haven't had any accidents. So I hope this continues.

I do have C Diff. I'm starting Flagyl tonight.

I hope your doctor told you to NOT take the Fibercon while you are on Flagy. You need to take only the c. diff meds and no other meds to firm up your stool for now. Glad you got tested! It is very infectious, so be sure you are cleaning up stool with a good disinfectant...that goes for commodes, etc. Alcohol hand cleaner is NOT sufficient for c. diff either...use water and a good disinfectant soap.

(KLD)

Hi Meagalon,

Quote Originally Posted by Meagalon
    I'm becoming so neurotic...
    I'm just FINE. Frustrated, Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional.

But seriously, I'm glad you found the cause of your problem and that you're being treated for it. I don't know how you quads do it.... I'm a para and an "accident" as you describe is an ordeal even for me. Luckily they are few and far between.

And I'm happy for you that you have such a loving and understanding boyfriend. All this SCI stuff can scare even the toughest person away.

I too am a "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" fan but especially a "The Colber(t) Repor(t)" fan. I use to watch "The Tonight Show" and "The Letterman Show" but no more!

I hope you get the difficult to cure C.diff under control ASAP so you can put on a little weight and get on with your life.

Have a good day.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Exclamation

Awww... thanks, Bob. I love Colbert! I just got the poster version of the portrait of him standing in front of the portrait poster.

Nurse (KLD), I started the Flagyl 2/24 at 12am. Not taking Fibercon. We haven't noticed much of a change in my stool. It's no longer watery, it's now mushy and pastey. As soon as I eat anything, I start sweating. Within 2 hours, I have a BM. Does it take a really long time for C. Diff to leave the body? I called my Dr. today and left a message, waiting for their call... This is such an ordeal.

My Dr. doesn't want me to alter my diet in any drastic way, but this is driving me crazy. I've been in bed for a week.

I'm seeing my physiatrist Monday. He told me I'll probably need more Flagyl and an additional medicine. And I'll probably have to see my GI, who did my surgery, in Miami. Which really sucks, b/c that's 2 hrs away. I've had diarrhea since the last week of January.

Just keep trying to keep hydrated and watch your diet until you see your doc. Make sure that you wash your hands and anything that the stool may touch.
    Hang in there!
    CKF