Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardware removed ,8 scruwes and 2rods

Quote Originally Posted by xJdinox
    Fusions rarely stay in. I only had mine in for about 23 months and my friend Kara had hers in for less then 2 yrs.
    What does that even mean? "Fusion" refers to the broken bones that have healed. Not to the hardware used to stabilize the spine while the bones are fusing. A "fusion" cannot be removed.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by xJdinox
    Fusions rarely stay in. I only had mine in for about 23 months and my friend Kara had hers in for less then 2 yrs. Both of ours got infected. I am glad that you're feeling better.
    Definitely not true! The only times I know of where they take the rods and screws out is when there is an infection, the rods break, or they are causing massive amounts of pain...

Fusion stays my friend...that is how your spine is staying stable...
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    Definitely not true! The only times I know of where they take the rods and screws out is when there is an infection, the rods break, or they are causing massive amounts of pain...

Fusion stays my friend...that is how your spine is staying stable...
    Actually, I think the hardware serves no purpose after the bone grafts take. Kinda like temporary braces used to straighten the spine, but they usually stay unless there is a serious issue with them.

In my case ,the outside fusion is still there ,and more than it in a previos surgery the russians put around my spinal column some polimer that harden and made my spinal column stronger ,so well be safe to remove the hardware! They also removed in this surgery the fusion i had inside the spinal column,bone structure planted by american surgeon in order to stabilize my spinal column at that point,which of course took my chanses away from any recovery because imagine my spinal nerve cut in 2 pieces and bone between ends.All i am saying here is true because i have seen the recording of my surgery in Russia they had done it with a special tool machine with magnifier so the whole image was big and clear.i have seen my spinal nerve pulsing.amaizing thing
    Nurse,please tell me should i consider home a softer bad or somthing special,because since i came from IC room where the bad had special cover with air hooked to a machine i think,my back hurts when when i lay on my back or any position,no temperature,nor complications at the injury site!???
    Or anyone went thru same experience!!//
    Blue skies!!

I haven't a clue what you are talking about.

(KLD)

Alextaz,

Based on your description, I think that the following happened (my interpretation is in red). You need to use the right language or else people will not understand you.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by alextaz
    In my case ,the outside fusion is still there ,and more than it in a previos surgery the russians put around my spinal column some polimer that harden and made my spinal column stronger ,so well be safe to remove the hardware!
    • The Russian surgeons did not remove the posterior fusion. They put some polymer (probably bone cement) because they were worried about the stability of the fusion and then removed the hardware.

They also removed in this surgery the fusion i had inside the spinal column,bone structure planted by american surgeon in order to stabilize my spinal column at that point,which of course took my chanses away from any recovery because imagine my spinal nerve cut in 2 pieces and bone between ends.
    • They removed the anterior bone that had been placed by the American neurosrugeon. This bone (apparently) was compressing the spinal cord.

All i am saying here is true because i have seen the recording of my surgery in Russia they had done it with a special tool machine with magnifier so the whole image was big and clear.i have seen my spinal nerve pulsing.amaizing thing
    • They took video of my spinal cord through the surgical microscope. It was pulsating.

Nurse,please tell me should i consider home a softer bad or somthing special,because since i came from IC room where the bad had special cover with air hooked to a machine i think,my back hurts when when i lay on my back or any position,no temperature,nor complications at the injury site!???
    Or anyone went thru same experience!!//
    • Should I get a special bed air/fluid dynamic surface? My back hurts when I lie down.
    Based on my interpretation of what you describe, what the Russian surgeons was an anterior decompression of your spinal cord, to remove the bone that your previous surgeon placed tos stabilize your spinal column. They apparently were worried about the stability of your spinal column and placed some polymer on the posterior (back) side of your spinal column to stabilize the spine while they removed the bone in front.

In the United States, they probably would not have used a polymer alone to stabilize your spine because it is not strong enough. Do you know whether they put any other device in front? However, the fact that they showed you a picture of your spinal cord pulsating through the surgical microscope indicates, however, that they did a good decompression.

Finally, regarding the bed, these dynamic air beds are quite expensive. I understand that they may cost as much as $65/day to rent. They are sometimes prescribed by doctors for people who have decubiti ulcers. They are not likely to help you with your backpain. Regarding the backpain, I am uncertain of what is causing the pain. I thought that you said that it was gone.

Wise.

Thaks,Dr Wise for corections!
    Is exactly like you described!
    My pain,i thought is gone,but little by little came back and even laying on my bed hurts me!
    Blue skies!!

Quote Originally Posted by offthahook
    Actually, I think the hardware serves no purpose after the bone grafts take. Kinda like temporary braces used to straighten the spine, but they usually stay unless there is a serious issue with them.
    Agreed...but the fusion part stays...which is my point. The fusion is the bone grafts.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss