Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neurogenesis and Neurodegeneration

FROM http://www.fsma.org/res2006news.shtml... AND THIS ARTICLE IS OVER 8 MONTHS OLD!
    I think that we all agree that collaberation is a key to discovery. The collaberation of these two scientists, one an expert in motorneurons and one in hesc has given many of us renewed hope based on careful, yet aggressive science. Plus, we now have two scientists that, by working together, increased their knowledge. Yes, they need funding now. I believe that with their first success, money will follow, even if it is $10 - $100 from 400,000 SCI survivors and their families. But funding NOW will benefit us sooner.

..."Stem Cells – Professor Doug Kerr gave the latest development from studies being carried out in stem cells, these are derived from the basic cell type that then differentiate to produce different specific cells e.g. muscle, nerve or heart cells. By taking the cell and adding specific growth factors and selection treatments it is possible to develop motor neurone specific cell lines that are able to grow beyond the myelin sheath towards a chemically induces stimulation. This has been used in rat models to help overcome viral born infections leading to disability in the lower limbs. Though not a full model of SMA this does help to show that in a damaged spinal cord it is possible to partially repair the neuronal link to the muscles. Unfortunately this involves multiple injections with a variety of potent agents that cannot be used in humans. He also developed motor neurons from embryonic stem cells from Smn-knockout mice to assess their defects in axon outgrowth more systematically.. The motor neurons developed very well, but the axonal outgrow was reduced. In a Petri dish the axons reached muscle cells, but after two days all connections were gone, supporting a role for SMN in motor neurons.

Dr. Keirstead next explained his work regarding the development of human motor neurons from human embryonic stem cells, which are obtained from in vitro fertilization procedures. He has developed a protocol to generate a very pure population of motor neurons (about 95%) from stem cells. His procedure has been developed and tested under strict government controls in compliance with the quality requirements of the FDA. This will allow human testing to advance at a much faster pace. In addition, Dr. Keirstead demonstrated during his talk that his lab has generated motor neurons that both look and behave like normal motor neurons. For example, they express genes known to be found only in motor neuron cells opposed to any other cell type. More importantly, he demonstrated that these motor neurons function like normal motor neurons. For example, Dr. Keirstead played a moving showing the motor neurons causing muscles to actively twitch when co-cultured together in a Petri dish. Dr. Keirstad’s ultimate goal is to produced clinically relevant cell population for therapeutic development in SMA, which can be used for motor neuron replacement."

Karen Miner
    www.researchforcure.org
    www.californiansforcures.com

Agree, I also did see that Keirstead and Kerr not to long ago were speakers in a conference made by the US MS organisation in California. They were talking about the best approaches for a MS cure. Imagine if one could mount collaboration with the MS folks and the SCI folks for funding that would be a lot of folks. Then the MS and SCI folks later on just can split the funding between research projects.

Thanks for the details Karen. Now I can go back to my pain pills...

Faye, that $5 million is in addition to Bloomburg and everyone else's contributions so far.

Leif, we are working together to a degree. I think you are talking about the Accelerated Cure Project with the MS groups.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

It would be a total shame if Dr. Kerr doesn't get enough funding and support..even if his work doesn't pan out to be the cure-all.

Keirstead is a scientist. A very good one. But emotionally with a safety net of detachment.

Dr. Kerr is an inner burning flame pit.
    Outwardly is he calm and carries himself so well and speaks with confidence.

HE is full of dedicated passions inside IMHO.
    I haven't seen him that many times..but just instinctively feel this in him.
    Sure hope it works out at least enough to comfort his efforts.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    It would be a total shame if Dr. Kerr doesn't get enough funding and support..even if his work doesn't pan out to be the cure-all.

Keirstead is a scientist. A very good one. But emotionally with a safety net of detachment.

Dr. Kerr is an inner burning flame pit.
    Outwardly is he calm and carries himself so well and speaks with confidence.

HE is full of dedicated passions inside IMHO.
    I haven't seen him that many times..but just instinctively feel this in him.
    Sure hope it works out ...........
    There is an organization which is totally dedicated to this team:

www.researchforcure.org

All donations go directly to this very advanced Kerr/Keirstead team towards sci cure research.

"There’s far too much unthinking respect given to authority,” Molly Ivins explained; “What you need is sustained outrage.”
    Kerr, Keirstead, McDonald, Stice and Jun Yan courageously work on ESCR to Cure SCI.

Divisiveness comes from not following Christopher Reeve's ESCR lead.
    Young does ASCR.
    [I]I do not tear down CRPA, I ONLY make peopl

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton
    Thanks for the details Karen. Now I can go back to my pain pills...

Faye, that $5 million is in addition to Bloomburg and everyone else's contributions so far.

Leif, we are working together to a degree. I think you are talking about the Accelerated Cure Project with the MS groups.
    Thanks, I just came over this article the other day; http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=health&id=4946353

Quote Originally Posted by Faye
    I wonder how much Kerr's group is getting from the 100 million Bloomberg donation for ESCR.

But it would be quite something if Kerr succeeds in starting clinical trials right here in the US, at a lower expense than the 50 million needed for ChinaSCINet's phase 1/2 trials.
    Faye,

Will you stop providing false and misleading information. Nowhere have I said that it will take $50 million for phase 1/2 studies in ChinaSCINet.

Wise.