Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Regarding the Dragon comments above, if you need DNS don't get a Mac. iListen is woeful, although my MacBook may do better. I'll try out the Universal Binary version soon and report back to you.

There are times I need to enter large slabs of text, but I have a secretary at work for that. In future I may go the BootCamp/Parallels route for the odd lengthy text-entry session at home.

If you are a very-high-level quad that needs voice for all/most text-entry and voice to control your computer, don't bother with a Mac (for now).

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Chris;

my MacBook
    What MacBook? Did you make the plunge?

John
    "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by john smith
    What MacBook? Did you make the plunge?
    Indeed I did - three weeks ago.

I stayed away from the Pros because it's a supplement to my desktop and I wanted something smaller and with better battery life. The lack of a dedicated video card didn't bother me too much.

The Core 2 Duos are so fast it's obscene. In some tasks it's really 5x faster than my 1.8GHz G5. It just amazes me.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Cspanos, what do you use for a microphone for ilisten?

Hi Chick, I' will answer you, soon, ty for your responses.

Thx all for feedback on chat stuff. Well, I found out that yahoo stopped enabling java applet, so no browser (Exploprer, Firefox, etc.) access to chatroom for either Windows or Mac users. Windows allows access thru messenger, but Mac does not. A third party chat cliernt can be used (I like yahelite) but that is designed for windows. Anyway, this is just an annoyance, which limits windows users, but now seems to shut out Mac users (unless yahoo makes mac compatible in upcoming versions).

Liz, I hope you get the puter you like and is most useful for your needs. Like Paton, I wouldn't want you to invest in something that isn't going to be the most useful or user-friendly. It just seems that Mac is not there with its voice activation, at least not in a very streamlined and efficient way, yet.

For me, one of the reasons in getting a Mac was to have something more user friendly (as I've been told would be the case), so adding on so many additional programs and software, which aren't very efficient yet, would seem to defeat one of the purposes for me (I considered Parallel too and dictation) and unnecessarily costly. The more I've been using the Mac, and have moved most of my docs/work over, I'm becoming more accustomed to it and seeing less need/interest in Parallel (unless I get it free).

Anyway, you have your own preferences and needs. I hope you find a great deal. (Look for promos!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    Cspanos, what do you use for a microphone for ilisten?
    Liz,

I use the MacMice MicFlex USB desktop microphone.

http://www.macmice.ca/itoolkit.asp?p...cific=jnlnirj0

MacSpeech sells iListen and the MicFlex as a bundle - that's how I got mine. Everybody comments how clear my mic is over Skype etc. My secret is the MicFlex.

I hear the Intel version of iListen is improved. I'll buy the update this weekend and start taking it for a spin. I'll let you know how it goes.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    I use the MacMice MicFlex USB desktop microphone.
    Is the Mac's built-in mic not sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Is the Mac's built-in mic not sufficient?
    Mac periphials are suppose to be top-notch, but ANY mic setup near the speakers echos... so a seperate mic is best.. and headset is recommended..

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Mac periphials are suppose to be top-notch, but ANY mic setup near the speakers echos... so a seperate mic is best.. and headset is recommended..
    They make echo cancellors, not too sure if something similar is available for desktop usage, but actual commercial grade equipment exists for this purpose out there, google if really interested.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    The Core 2 Duos are so fast it's obscene. In some tasks it's really 5x faster than my 1.8GHz G5. It just amazes me.
    Chris.
    Chris: Did you get black or white? I know the black costs more, and I think I'm willing to pay the price for the MacBook. Also, did you get 1GB of RAM or 2GB of RAM? I was thinking that I could save money if I ordered the MacBook with 512MB of RAM and then went to TransInternational and purchased 2GB of RAM. I don't know what you Mac users recommend when it comes to buying RAM and whether or not it's better to get from Apple or elsewhere. I'm not sure if you buy the RAM elsewhere that it would void your warranty. The MicFlex USB microphone looks like a great deal at $40. Also, you definitely do not want to do the sound conversion outside the computer because it is too noisy and it's almost like a frickin' microwave oven in there.

I would think that Apple's Boot Camp with Windows XP would work on the MacBook. I have been following the Voice Recognition forums and I think I understand the issues with using Parallels. These problems I believe will get resolved over time, and I really like what I am hearing about Parallels with the Coherence mode, which allows you to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side.