Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Quote Originally Posted by SurfCat
    Question: Is now a good time to get the MB PRO, or are they going to be releasing a new laptop or OS soon?
    SurfCat,

I would wait for Leopard to be released but the spring time seems too optimistic. MacBook Pro will allow you to run Windows and Dragon NaturallySpeaking at full speed using Boot Camp but there have been some problems (PC World). If you buy a MB Pro today and you want to run DNS 9.0, then you are sort of living on the bleeding edge. Also, you will probably not get any tech support from Nuance when it comes to Parallels or Boot Camp and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I have joined the iMac world, ordered mine from apple.com last night. Paid for shipping so i will get it by fri.
    Awesome, Jim! I think you'll be happy with it. Let us know...

I have joined the iMac world, ordered mine from apple.com last night. Paid for shipping so i will get it by fri.

I'll let ya'll know when i have questions.
    I should come by and help launch the iMac. Wise.

Blog Entries
    If your just using DNS for occasional dictation it seems like parallels might work fine?
    Does iListen come with the Mac OSX? Is it decent for dictation only?
    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

Quote Originally Posted by SurfCat
    If your just using DNS for occasional dictation it seems like parallels might work fine?
    Does iListen come with the Mac OSX? Is it decent for dictation only?
    Surfcat,

Parallels opens up a window that represents Windows operating system running on your Mac. While you are in that Window, Dragon Natural Speaking will work. I am not sure that it do anything outside of that window to operate the Mac OSX operating system. That is because Dragon does not work on the mac. However, you can run DNS on all windows type programs in Parallels. I am surmising the above based on what I know about Macs and don't have direct experience with using DNS on Parallels. However, I believe that this must be true. Parallels simply does an emulation of Windows. There is no reason why Dragon running in Parallels would know how to operate OSX commands or any OSX program.

iListen is a program made by MacSpeech and is widely rated as the best on Mac. It costs about $100 and is a trainable voice recognition program that is similar to Dragon in accuracy. A programmer of iListen said that it is not as convenient to train as Dragon but should be just as accurate. He also pointed out that the iListen cannot control itself. However, the Mac OSX system has its own built in speech recognition system that can be operated right alongside iListen and cdan provide powerful supplemental controls and can be used to operate iListen in a hands-free mode.

Let me describe the Mac OSX speech recognition system. It is built into the operating system. You just go to system preferences > Speech > Speech Recognition and turn "Speakable Items" On. You can choose the internal microphone and calibrate it by speaking various commands. You can choose the keyboard key that you press to activate the speech recognition or give the computer a keyword that turns on the voice recognition system. You can tell the program to play a sound or repeat your command if it recognizes it.

Mac OSX comes with already many built in voice commands. The following are some global speakable items. There are many application specific items and application switching, as well as front window and menu bar commands.

Cancel last command
    Log me out
    Listen continuously
    Hide this application
    Get my mail
    Define a keyboard command
    Copy this to the clipboard
    Close this window
    Close Speech Commands window
    Open a document
    Make this speakable
    Make this into a sticky note
    Minimize Speech Commands window
    Make new item
    Move page up
    Move page to top
    Move page to bottom
    Turn on push to talk
    Move page down
    Minimize this window
    Open Sherlock
    Minimize Speech Feedback window
    Open my browser
    What Time Is It?
    What Day Is It?
    Start screen saver
    Show me what to say
    Tell me a joke
    Save this document
    Quit Speakable Items
    Paste the clipboard here
    Open the Speech Preferences
    Open the Speakable Items folder
    Quit this application
    Open Speech Feedback window
    Open Speech Commands window
    I love the Tell me a Joke command. So, I say, "Tell me a Joke"... The computer responds, "Knock Knock". If I don't respond within a certain period, the computer says, "Enough Jokes, back to work". However, if I say, "Who's there", the computer (this is one joke...) says "Tinker Bell". I say, "Tinker Bell Who?". The computer says "Tinker Bell is out of order." I then say, "Tell me a Joke". The computer says, "Tsongas". I say, "Tsongas who?". The Computer says "Tsongas you're there, let's tell some knock knock jokes." This is right out of the box and I have not yet heard a repeated joke yet. You may have to repeat your command a couple times but the computer gets it an amazing number of times.

There are large numbers of custom commands for many applications. In order to add custom commands, you simply create an Applescript that runs a series of commands and steps. Basically, you can take any of the available files, duplicate and rename the file, modify the commands, and the speakable command is the file name. Amazingly, it recognizes the names of the file and executes them.

You can use this system in conjunction with iListen to control you Mac. I cannot imagine anything that you would not be able to make your Mac do through voice command. If you need more information, the following web site gives a detailed explanation http://lifehacker.com/software/speec...you-215764.php

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 02-21-2007 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Let me describe the Mac OSX speech recognition system. It is built into the operating system. You just go to system preferences > Speech > Speech Recognition and turn "Speakable Items" On. You can choose the internal microphone and calibrate it by speaking various commands. You can choose the keyboard key that you press to activate the speech recognition or give the computer a keyword that turns on the voice recognition system. You can tell the program to play a sound or repeat your command if it recognizes it.

Mac OSX comes with already many built in voice commands. The following are some global speakable items. There are many application specific items and application switching, as well as front window and menu bar commands.
    Wise.
    Yes, when I was looking at the iMac, a few weeks ago, the Apple salesman was COMPLETELY controlling the computer with his voice, and not even using a headset. It was very cool! He named it, Vicki. Wise, do you speak a name, then say the command?

Now, my questions:

-Will Parallel work with DNS Pro Version 8? ............According to the Apple salesman, Apparently, the new Leopard OS coming out in Spring will not need this program(Parallel)? Anyone know? I will ask this question to the Apple salesman again for clarity.

-Wouldn't you think that if you bought iListen and used DNS through Parallel (if you actually will need it with new Leopard OS) that you would have more than enough voice recognition, if you only use DNS for long dictation?

Thank you Wise for your very well explained, informative posts!
    Last edited by Lizbv; 02-21-2007 at 11:57 AM.

I'll let ya'll know when i have questions.
    Hey, that was fast decision! lol It took me over a year to make up my mind! (yea shut up)

I got an iMac w/20 screen and wireless mouse/keyboard December. Got a Cannon MP530 printer/fax/scanner/copier for just $100 extra. No shipping cost, and it arrived pretty quick - ~ week or so?

I'm liking it more and more, but some things seem a bit less user friendly. But like I said, part of it is just becoming more familiar with it and knowing how to utilize some of the different programs.

Wireless is great, but I had to change batteries already! I plan to get backup cheapo usb mouse in case I don't have batteries on hand.

WISE, I may need to play with the voice commands, but if I was to use iListen simultaneously, wouldn't you have to turn some function on/off to switch back n forth? If not, how would it recognize global commands separate from dictation words (unless have "keyword" as some word one never would use to dictate?) I always found Dragon to be more time consuming and cumbersome than using mouse or keys to do certain functions (if one wasn't physically unable to do them manually), even with limited hand function as I do. So, the mac global commands alone would seem (as far as I can see at the moment) more of a fun thing than a useful function. And if one using iListen w/global commands on, and if needing to hit keys to activate or do other things, what's the point for someone who can't use hands?

Sidenote: The iMac comes with built in wireless, so with airport on, I can pick up some pretty good signals in my building. I was using that primarily at first, while still using my windows laptop with my dsl connection. Thought maybe I could just cancel my dsl ... but figured that wouldn't be good idea since airport was at times jumpy (unless in a certain spot in my livingroom). Damn!

I do hate that iMac isn't as compatible with yahoo. Tho ichat is ok.

eta: I love the drop function. and at first, I kept accidently dragging mouse over programs and would suddenly hear "poof"! I'm like "what did I just poof?!?" ha. I wouldn't know what I just did nor deleted off dock ...but am getting used to the mouse and controlling it better.
    Last edited by chick; 02-21-2007 at 01:10 PM.

For Yahoo chat to work well, use ADIUM. You then have one set of controls for all the dfferent chat rooms that exist---I have ICQ, Yahoo, AOL, ichat, MSN, LiveJournal, Jabber, and more all in one contact box and message window.

Hundreds of different add-ons you can download from their site. My favorite - I can play my itunes and the person I am IMing can hear it if I say ---- sendtune.

http://www.adiumx.com/
    Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

x2 on Adium. I've been using it for years - works fine w/ yahoo, etc.