Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 118

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

  1. #31
    The Mac does have built-in speech recognition (Source) but it is not the same level as Dragon Naturally Speaking which is generally acknowledged as the best such software. I use a MacBook Pro with Parallels that runs Windows in a window. It is a very fast computer.

    There are several third party voice recognition software packages for the Mac. I had bought IBM ViaVoice once to try it out but IBM did not upgrade the software for the newer systems. Most reviews say that MacSpeech iListen 1.7 with Pro Xpress USB Headset and microphone is the best speech-recognition software for the Mac. According to reviews, it is not as accurate as Dragon but works well with OSX (Source) and it is reasonably cheap at ~$100 (Source).

    I know that the OSX system is very flexible and you should be able to get the software to control virtually anything on your computer. By the way, I am a Mac user from the beginning and have never used a PC (more than an hour or two). I use a Mac not only because i think that it is a better computer and has a better operating system that is not as susceptible to viruses. I use it because I have to look at the screen of a computer 8-12 hours a day. If I had to stare that long at a Windows computer screen, it would be horrible. The Mac is just so much better from that perspective. But, then that is all subjective.

    Wise.

  2. #32
    Is the best/cheapest place to by a Mac at Apple.com?

  3. #33
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Is the best/cheapest place to by a Mac at Apple.com?
    Or an Apple store. But I have seen some deals at MacConnection where you can get $100 or so off, plus a free copy of Parallels and a free photo printer. So you can sometimes find them cheaper, but generally I think you'll find the same prices with other retailers (CompUSA, etc). It's worth looking around though.

    Wherever you buy a Mac, you can always take it to an Apple store for service.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 02-19-2007 at 04:15 PM.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    As for your lack of software argument, the only area this is true is in regards to games.
    Serious questions - what types of databases and can a Mac run? What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I use it because I have to look at the screen of a computer 8-12 hours a day. If I had to stare that long at a Windows computer screen, it would be horrible. The Mac is just so much better from that perspective. But, then that is all subjective.
    The aesthetics of the MacOS have always been a plus for me, and OSX blew away anything that came before.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Cdn.....eh
    Posts
    3,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    Serious questions - What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.
    Programming languages are OS independant. You just need a comipler of said OS to make a program.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
    Serious questions - what types of databases and can a Mac run? What types of programming languages? I'm not trying to poke holes in your argument; I'm genuinely interested.
    I'm not really familiar with database stuff, but the MacOSX is UNIX-based, if that helps give you more info. You can run OpenSource XCode programs such as OpenOffice.org, for example (I have it on my iMac). You can find Developer info on Apple's site, too.

    Here's a list of database software available for the Mac [From Pure Mac] (there may be more)...

    Database Editors/Managers
    Aqua Data Studio
    CocoaMySQL
    Navicat MySQL
    Navicat PostgreSQL
    phpMyAdmin
    SQLEditor
    SQL4X Manager
    SQLGrinder
    YourSQL

    Database Programs
    AppleWorks
    EagleData
    FileMaker Pro
    4th Dimension
    FrontBase
    iData
    iList Data
    MySQL
    OpenBase
    Panorama
    Papyrus
    PostgreSQL
    REAL SQL Server
    Valentina

    Also from Pure Mac, here are programming resources, etc.

    Scripting
    Affrus
    FaceSpan
    F-Script
    Komodo
    Locomotive
    Pashua
    Platypus
    Python
    Script Debugger

    BASIC
    Chipmunk Basic
    FutureBASIC
    Metal
    Omikron BASIC
    REALbasic

    C, C++ etc.
    CodeWarrior
    Xcode

    Java
    Java
    BlueJ
    Eclipse SDK
    JJEdit
    WebObjects
    Xcode

    Miscellaneous
    Dreamcard
    Fortran
    Macintosh Common Lisp
    PRC-Tools
    Revolution
    Scratch
    Squeak
    SuperCard
    Unity
    XGP
    XL Fortran
    XLogo

    Web Programming
    BasaOne
    ColdFusion
    Lasso
    PHP
    Ruby
    Ruby on Rails
    WebObjects
    Zend Studio

    Debuggers, Etc.
    AppKiDo
    Bugzilla
    CHUD Tools
    Eggplant
    iota-calc
    MacsBug
    ResCompare
    TestTrack Pro
    Editors

    Editors
    BBEdit
    HexEdit
    ResEdit
    Resorcerer
    skEdit
    TextMate

    Installers
    Iceberg
    InstallAnywhere
    Installer VISE
    StuffIt InstallerMaker
    VISE X

    Version Control
    Cross VC XXL
    MacCVSClient
    Perforce
    SmartSVN
    Subversion
    Surround SCM
    VOODOO Server

  8. #38
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Programming languages are OS independant. You just need a comipler of said OS to make a program.
    What Patonb said.

  9. #39
    Senior Member SurfCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    235
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Scorpion... your 'best of both worlds' argument was helpful for me. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the MB PRO with Parllels in order to run Dragon. I only use DNS about 20% of my computer time and so I shoulde be able to manage.

    Question: Is now a good time to get the MB PRO, or are they going to be releasing a new laptop or OS soon?

    I love the debate my little ? started!
    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

  10. #40
    Senior Member SurfCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    San Clemente, CA
    Posts
    235
    Blog Entries
    1
    PN -- Thx 4 the graphic of parallels! Do you know of anyone who isusing this daily? Any kinks/probs? I want to useDragon via this... what ya think?
    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!! READY TO BUY A VAN
    By Hope & Bill in forum Life
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •