Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Actually, Apple hasn't really marketed the Mac as a machine that can run Windows. It's mainly word-of-mouth (blogs, etc) and the computer news media. Yes, Apple does have the Bootcamp app (still in beta) that allows you to partition your hard drive and then install Windows, allowing you to boot the machine in MacOS mode or Windows mode, but I can't think of one ad or commercial that markets the Mac as a machine that can also run Windows.

Sued? There's nothing illegal about it, as long as the owner of the Mac buys a legal copy of Windows. The Windows OS is not licensed to specific hardware, so why shouldn't Apple be allowed to sell a machine that can run Windows? Just because Apple sells those machines with a competitive OS already installed? Silly. I don't hear anyone crying foul that a PC can run Linux, for example (a Mac can run that too, btw ).
    No, no..I'm talking about the marketing campaign in general, the 2 guys commercials. ALSO being sued over their advertising where Mac is making some really erronous comments and comparisons between the 2 systems.

If someone wants a Mac but also needs to run Windows on occasion for work or something, then it is a lot cheaper to buy a Mac and then buy and install a copy of Windows for a couple hundred bucks than to buy both a new Mac and a new PC.
    You just described me, Scorp.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    No, no..I'm talking about the marketing campaign in general, the 2 guys commercials. ALSO being sued over their advertising where Mac is making some really erronous comments and comparisons between the 2 systems.
    Oh, ok. I gotcha. I like those ads, though they are a bit hyperbolic at times. Erroneous? That's debateable, and subjective, but nothing lawsuit worthy, in my opinion.

BTW, I don't think the Mac's success is due to marketing as much as it is the OS/hardware.

Have you used a Mac? Since OSX (which I doubt you could deny Windows Vista is trying to be like)? I used both Macs and Windows machines for years, and I saw problems with both and understood the arguments for and against both. I resisted the Mac-hype, fought it even. But with MacOSX, most of the arguments against the Mac were moot, and the arguments against Windows are still sound. I do see why people might prefer a Windows machine, but I'm a Mac-addict now, and while I can see reasons I might own/build a Windows machine (Windows isn't a horrible OS, it's just not a great OS), I truly believe the MacOS is superior to Windows and Windows will always be trying to catch up.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 02-18-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    You just described me, Scorp.
    You've done that, or you're planning to? I know you are a Mac-person but didn't realize you had done (or were considering) the Bootcamp/Windows thing.

I think using Parallels would be much cooler than re-booting all the time, as long as there was 2gigs of RAM.

Ah well, I'm stuck for now using my G4 iMac and G4 iBook.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    No, no..I'm talking about the marketing campaign in general, the 2 guys commercials. .
    They gotta get the neophytes to think they are being smart and trendy buying a box of parts for 2x what a PC based machine would cost performance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    They gotta get the neophytes to think they are being smart and trendy buying a box of parts for 2x what a PC based machine would cost performance wise.
    Actually, Mac's prices/performance are pretty competitive/comparable these days. Go ahead, price compare based on system "parts". I think you'll find that Macs are sometimes even more bang for your buck when comparing off-the-shelf machines (using system options at time of purchase) Insulting people by calling them neophytes is ciunter-productive; you're condemning Mac-snobbery with your own snobbery as a PC expert/builder. You were a "neophyte" once too. I've never liked "Mac-snobs" and while I love Macs, I don't look down my nose at Windows users, and I even know from personal experience why people like PCs.

Now, if you're talking about building your own machine, that's a different story. You might as well then admit that building your own machine is cheapr than buying a Dell or an HP, not just comparing building your own PC to buying a Mac. Then you're comparing apples and oranges because the whole concept of the Mac is using the OS on specific hardware. Apple makes/sells computers that use their own OS, not just an OS, not machines that are meant to only run an OS create by other companies. That said, having had and personally upgraded PCs over the years, I can see the appeal of being able to customize or even build your own machine from the ground up. That has always been a big positive when it comes to Windows machines.

But most people just want to buy a computer, plug it in, and have it just work, not build their own. A "neophyte" isn't going to want to build their own computer, and I'd argue that the easiest computer for a "neophyte" is the Mac, no need to be trendy or cool. Smart, maybe.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 02-18-2007 at 04:31 PM.

You've done that, or you're planning to? I know you are a Mac-person but didn't realize you had done (or were considering) the Bootcamp/Windows thing.

I think using Parallels would be much cooler than re-booting all the time, as long as there was 2gigs of RAM.

Ah well, I'm stuck for now using my G4 iMac and G4 iBook.
    I need to.

I am a mac person since the days of the Apple IIe. I kinda miss the flying toaster screensavers from college the first time around.... *sigh*

Anywho. I ran into problems in transcription class while in college this last time around and found I needed to have windows (I tried running a shell, but it didn't work well). So, I would boot my husband off his computer so much to the point that he built me one. That computer ended up being used as a server for lan parties. Now Jello has it.

In addition to my day job, I teach at the local community college. For the last year I have been using my G4 Powerbook just fine. This semester I am teaching an online class. The website interface that I have to use just hates my mac. It's suppsoed to work with Safari, but doesn't. Doesn't like Firefox for Mac either. Once again for creating context, tests etc online I was booting my husband off his pc. (I also find I can't open the papers my students write, so they can't use the dropbox within the online class software. They send up emailing them to me, I c/p out of the email, format in office X, then print as a pdf and mail it back to them.) Then, the software that comes with my textbooks doesn't run on a mac. Once again, I am booting Boog off his pc to generate tests for the campus classes. To say it's a pain in the ass is an understatement.

This is the only time I need a PC. I have a dvi-analog converter so I can use my mac @ school w/their projector for presentations, so that hasn't really stopped me.

Now, within the last 2-3 weeks my poor G4 has started having hardware problems and I think it's about to die. I don't have the funds right now to purchase the MacBook Pro that I want. If I got the whole tax return, I would. Alas, Boog and I agreed that it was his turn to get a good laptop with it. I guess what I am going to do now is buy a windows laptop, then next year get my maxxed out MacBook. My son will be hitting high school by then and I can give him the windows laptop. I always told him he would get a laptop for high school.

In a perfect world, I would get the MB Pro now, and grab a copy of windows--just like you said. If it weren't for Boog's laptop not being able to handle his astrophotography, he wouldn't be getting a new one and I could do it this year.

I guess it's about time for my G4 TiBook to bite the bullet. It turns 6yo this year and the lid/screen is held together with JB weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadis
    In addition to my day job, I teach at the local community college. For the last year I have been using my G4 Powerbook just fine. This semester I am teaching an online class. The website interface that I have to use just hates my mac. It's suppsoed to work with Safari, but doesn't. Doesn't like Firefox for Mac either. Once again for creating context, tests etc online I was booting my husband off his pc.
    What CMS do you use?

Jadis, I hear ya. I have a TiBook from the '02 era. It's still running, but it can't keep up with everything. A Dual G5 Powermac is my work machine, still running Panther in anticipation for Leopard soon.

I have a number of work-related things that I need(ed) a Windows-based machine for. If I had an Intel Mac, I'd just drop a copy of XP on it, but I don't have one, nor was I about to plunk down the cash for one when the G5 is pretty pimped out already. I ended up buying an Alienware Sentia m3450. They start @ $950 and are spiffy little laptops. All I upgraded was the optical drive to a DVD burner. For the bottom-end of their lineup, it's still fast (Core 2 Duo, 1.66ghz). I have a Vista Business upgrade coming in a few weeks - dunno if I'll run it or not. The notebook has a gig of ram in it & will prob. need another for Vista, but I figured I'd save some coin and order it from Newegg later if I need it vs. paying Alienware for it.

Mac has around a 4% market share and I think this community makes up the majority of that. You guys are so cute .