Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

My iMac is up and and running, Luv It!

Ill let ya'll know if i have any questions.

Feel free to give any tips/suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi Liz,

It sounds like you have the latest and greatest Bluetooth 2.0 telephone. However, I do not think that the BlueParrott TalkPro B1000-GTX is Bluetooth 2.0. I looked at the specs and I could not get an answer, along with calling a distributor/vendor. I hope to have the facts shortly, unless one of our members chimes in.
    No, the BlueParrott headset isn't Bluetooth 2.0. I was just mentioning what works well for me. However, 2.0 is apparently fully backwards compatible with all previous versions of Bluetooth. So this headset would work with it.

Thanks for that link Lizbv. I knew I had seen the chart somewhere, but couldn't remember where and I couldn't find it again when I looked. I was beginning to doubt it existed and that I had just made it up in my head
    Last edited by orangejello; 03-02-2007 at 09:25 AM.

This talk of headset microphones reminded me of something I found once...I was talking with my counterpart in Houston that covered the SWB region and was astounded how good her phone sounded. Very loud and clear. Turns out she spilled coffee into her Plantronics headset of some sort and ended up removing the mic filter at the end of the tube for microphone. Makes sense to me, less SPL restriction to the mic if that is done, so you could in theory talk very softly and still get the desired results. If you feel like experimenting...it's an idea.

Watch this video to see how to remove the echo effect with the Sennheiser headset microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    My iMac is up and and running, Luv It!

Ill let ya'll know if i have any questions.

Feel free to give any tips/suggestions.
    Awesome, Jim!

Check out this site for starters: http://www.macosxhints.com/

FYI Parallel release

[Mar 08, 2007]

Reluctant to switch to a Macintosh because so much of your favorite software requires Microsoft Windows? Now you don't have to hold back.
    Apple's free Boot Camp beta software can also make your Intel-based Mac a screaming-fast Windows machine. But when you turn your computer on, you must choose to work in either Windows or Mac's OS X Tiger.
    That's why I've been more intrigued by Parallels Desktop for Mac. The $80 "virtualization" software lets you run the Mac's operating system and Windows side-by-side. Alas, compared with Boot Camp, Parallels was poky and buggy when I first tried it last year.
    Last week, the Seattle-area start-up behind Parallels unveiled a less-geeky update that addresses many of its shortcomings, including plug-and-play support for USB 2.0 devices. Moreover, Parallels piles on new features, the neatest of which makes it look like you are running Windows programs right on your Mac desktop, along with other Mac programs.
    It's still not for beginners. And I got off to a tough start testing the latest version of Parallels with Windows XP on an iMac. Windows couldn't recognize my Hewlett-Packard USB printer or Seagate USB storage device. I encountered the lingering hourglass, bizarre "fatal error" messages and the dreaded "blue screen of death" that sometimes precedes a PC meltdown.
    Parallels said the snags had more to do with a corrupted copy of XP rather than its own software. Seems so. The glitches disappeared when I loaded a fresh retail copy of XP Professional.
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...s_N.htm?csp=34

PN, U Think this may be the answer to the dragon/mic usb issues cited talked about? thx

Hi Liz,

It looks to me like the makers of Parallels may have resolved the USB device issues (microphone headsets) with regards to DNS. I can understand a corrupted copy of XP causing device problems in Parallels. I am a little puzzled about the "fresh retail copy of XP Professional." It appears you have to buy a new copy (not an upgrade) of Windows XP Professional. I have heard that Microsoft used to allow you to put Windows XP on two of your home computers but never stated this publicly. I guess times have changed.

Trust but verify before you buy.

I wonder if they had a burned copy of a "company" copy of XP. I could see where a tester would use backup copies when installing on multiple test systems.

This still doesn't all you to use DNS to run the Mac.

Patonb: A belated happy birthday! If you read the posts in this Forum, you will find that one user is running DNS 9 Pro on a Mac using Apple's Boot Camp. Larry (October 7, 2006) in the Voice Recognition Forum writes that he has seen DNS 9 run on a Mac using Parallels. However, he goes on to state that the Mac was not able to accept USB microphone input.

I am also aware of users who have purchased a brand new copy (not an upgrade) of Windows XP Pro and have had problems with USB devices when using Parallels on a Mac. I don't think you would need to purchase Windows XP Professional and you could save money by buying Windows XP Home. When I purchased Windows XP Pro SP-1 (not an upgrade), I paid $135 at Office Max and that was a few years ago. Now that Vista is out the price for Windows XP should drop.

After 11 pages i forget who was the original poster... I was commenting for those who want to use DNS to control the Mac, as alot of people have been wanting too do.

Unless i've read the links wrong..